Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys using for feed in your feeders and don't squirrels and other varmits eat alot of the feed?

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
I use

Lots of corn,and yes the squirrels,raccoons,birds,chipmunks,and whatever get a good share.

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SPECIALIZED said:
Lots of corn,and yes the squirrels,raccoons,birds,chipmunks,and whatever get a good share.
I am hoping to set up with a trail cam and just wondering how I might be able to avoid all of the "criitters" trying to get into the photo action. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
1,256 Posts
Urban Legend said:
Not for sure, but I think baiting is illegal in Virginia. I guess as long as you don't hunt over it your ok.
You can feed but it has to be gone Sept 1 or something like that. They bust quite a few people baiting/feeding here in VA. You just don't hear a lot about it.

Can't bait but you can let out 50 deer hounds and run the crap out of the deer and shoot it as the dogs chase it by you. Go figure that one?

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Big-Bird-VA said:
You can feed but it has to be gone Sept 1 or something like that. They bust quite a few people baiting/feeding here in VA. You just don't hear a lot about it.

Can't bait but you can let out 50 deer hounds and run the crap out of the deer and shoot it as the dogs chase it by you. Go figure that one?
Yeah that is strange isn't it Big Bird. The deer hound type of hunting here in the southern states is a whole different ball game. However I guess it is assumed that I plan to hunt over or near this feeder but this isn't the case. I am just interested in taking pictures of some nice whitetails if they are in my area and am wondering if instead my trail cam will be filled with pictures of small critters.

By the way.........is it actually illegal to put out feed during hunting season even if you are not hunting over or near it?

·
Banned
1,256 Posts
dougedwards said:
Yeah that is strange isn't it Big Bird. The deer hound type of hunting here in the southern states is a whole different ball game. However I guess it is assumed that I plan to hunt over or near this feeder but this isn't the case. I am just interested in taking pictures of some nice whitetails if they are in my area and am wondering if instead my trail cam will be filled with pictures of small critters.

By the way.........is it actually illegal to put out feed during hunting season even if you are not hunting over or near it?
Here's the laws on it.

Unlawful to Feed Deer September 1, 2008 January 3, 2009:
It is unlawful for any person to place or distribute food, salt, minerals or similar substances, to feed or attract deer from September 1 through the first Saturday in January, both dates inclusive. Nor, upon written notification by Department personnel, shall any person continue to place or distribute any food, salt, mineral or similar substances for any purpose if the placement of these materials results in the attraction of and/or feeding of deer. No part of this regulation shall be construed to restrict bona fide agronomic plantings (including wildlife food plots) or distribution of food to livestock.

Unlawful to Feed Bears (anytime):
It is unlawful for any person to place or distribute food, minerals, carrion or similar substances to feed or attract bear. Nor, upon written notification by Department personnel, shall any person continue to place or distribute any food, mineral, carrion or similar substances for any purpose if the placement of these materials results in the presence of bear in such numbers or circumstances to cause annoyance or inconvenience to any person, cause property damage, or endanger any person or wildlife.

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
I have whole kernel corn in my feeder. My cousin uses a 50/50 mix with corn and sweet feed. The darn turkeys are all over both of them. I have a shot of a raccoon hanging from one too. We get a lot of false triggers on the cameras too. I expect it's small birds buzzing in and out before the camera can catch them.
They make varmint cages for them so the coons and squirrels can't reach in and spin the spreader but I haven't had to go to that yet. I use timed feeders however. What kind are you in the market for? I did a ton of research on them maybe I can help. Or do you already have one and are asking what to load it with? I wasn't clear on that.

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
buckeye dan said:
I have whole kernel corn in my feeder. My cousin uses a 50/50 mix with corn and sweet feed. The darn turkeys are all over both of them. I have a shot of a raccoon hanging from one too. We get a lot of false triggers on the cameras too. I expect it's small birds buzzing in and out before the camera can catch them.
They make varmint cages for them so the coons and squirrels can't reach in and spin the spreader but I haven't had to go to that yet. I use timed feeders however. What kind are you in the market for? I did a ton of research on them maybe I can help. Or do you already have one and are asking what to load it with? I wasn't clear on that.
That was very helpful information on the law in Va there Big Bird. Thanks for that.

I have recently ordered but not received a Trophy Hunter barrel type of tripod feeder that does a timer to release at one half hour after sunrise and then again one half hour before sunset. I have a Moultrie Game Spy i40 trail cam and was hoping to get some good pics. Any advice you can give on the feeder would be appreciated since I can still cancel the order.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
I'm the queen of corn feeders being from Texas. It's very rare that the camera is triggered by the small varmints. Occasionally I get the coons on cam, but never the squirrels, and not always the turkey either. Don't worry about that though as those animals are just the clean up crew. They don't eat ALL the corn on the ground like hogs and Javelina do. Even deer will stand and eat every kernel they can find. It does help with introducing the skittish deer to the feeder when they see other animals eating the corn. They will all consume feed together, with the others leaving if there's any confrontation or dirty looks from the deer.
On that feeder, is it a light sensored feeder? I hate those things! I like to use a manual timer so I can set them to when I want. Earlier than sunset for sure, and later in the morning depending on when I want to hunt. In the winter time, I set mine for 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM. This way, if someone harvests in the evening throwing, I have time to track and take pictures without lights. In the morning, I have time to get hunters to the stands and time to set up and relax for a bit before the show begins. Also useful for when the hunters are running a little late, they can still have time to hunt. If someone is leaving at noon, I can reset the feeder for a mid morning hunt. I use All Season Digital controlled Feeder boxes. The hot or cold weather determines when the deer come to the feeders to eat.

So, what is a 50lb bag of corn running in your neck of the woods? Ours here has gone up recently from $5.75 to $9.25. Protein feed which is much better for the deer is only $10.00 a bag. I think I''m going to use protien and hope it doesn't clog up the feeder unless corn prices drop again. I know on the market it dropped yesterday by .60. Not good enough! This ethanol thing has the corn prices sky high.

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I might try a bag of goat feed first and see how that works. I do have a photo sensor on the feeder and wish it came with a timer. Thanks for all of the great information from all.......
Doug

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
GG a heads up on the protein feed. If a sweetened one like my cousin uses it gets sticky in the hot sun and clogs up the works. Spin feeders don't like the molasses coated stuff. That is why he uses a 50/50 mix with corn. There is enough dust and corn to keep it free flowing. They practically stand and listen for the spinner to go off. It's like candy to them.
Shucked corn is going for $8.50 per 50lb bag for me. Or at least it was back in March. We kept the feeders dialed down on quantity spread during the summer. Too much corn or feed isn't good for them that time of year. We'll crank em back up in the winter when they need it. We also have supplemental crops growing though. A few acres of clover and chicory and an acre of buckwheat. At least we had an acre of buckwheat. I think it's gone now. Haven't been down to check the fields for a while.
A word of advice if you can plant then plant. Nothing you will ever do with a feeder will be as beneficial as crops. And it's cheaper in the long run too with a much better variety. And usually crops are not considered bait. You still have time to do some prep work for a fall crop should you decide to go this route let me know. I have a few cheap and easy suggestions for you.

Be careful when using livestock specific feeds. Some things that make a cow as healthy as can be won't work for a horse for instance. Some things for one animal might actually be bad for another. Like sheep can't use copper but it is in feeds for the other barnyard animals. You need to know what is in the feed before you buy it. Corn in the fall is 100% safe. In the hot months prior to corn harvests it is better to supply in moderation. If you can tell me what is in the goat feed you intend to buy I could help more. And never buy any feed that is medicated for any animal.

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Set up my feeder and trail cam today in the back of an uncut field. Mixed whole corn and what was called "sweet meal" but mostly oats, barley, corn and mollasses I think. Corn was $11.00 per 50lbs. Mixed the two together and we will see. Will publish pics when I get them.

Doug

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
buckeye dan said:
GG a heads up on the protein feed. If a sweetened one like my cousin uses it gets sticky in the hot sun and clogs up the works. Spin feeders don't like the molasses coated stuff. That is why he uses a 50/50 mix with corn. There is enough dust and corn to keep it free flowing. They practically stand and listen for the spinner to go off. It's like candy to them.
Shucked corn is going for $8.50 per 50lb bag for me. Or at least it was back in March. We kept the feeders dialed down on quantity spread during the summer. Too much corn or feed isn't good for them that time of year. We'll crank em back up in the winter when they need it. We also have supplemental crops growing though. A few acres of clover and chicory and an acre of buckwheat. At least we had an acre of buckwheat. I think it's gone now. Haven't been down to check the fields for a while.
A word of advice if you can plant then plant. Nothing you will ever do with a feeder will be as beneficial as crops. And it's cheaper in the long run too with a much better variety. And usually crops are not considered bait. You still have time to do some prep work for a fall crop should you decide to go this route let me know. I have a few cheap and easy suggestions for you.

Be careful when using livestock specific feeds. Some things that make a cow as healthy as can be won't work for a horse for instance. Some things for one animal might actually be bad for another. Like sheep can't use copper but it is in feeds for the other barnyard animals. You need to know what is in the feed before you buy it. Corn in the fall is 100% safe. In the hot months prior to corn harvests it is better to supply in moderation. If you can tell me what is in the goat feed you intend to buy I could help more. And never buy any feed that is medicated for any animal.
Oh! I do know that! I would use protien pellets, but checked at the feed store and it's still not worth the extra $ per 50lb bag.Paid $9.25 for corn last week. In March, it was $5.75 a bag. Yep, understand on the animal specific feed. I used to raise sheep but gave the whole herd away last year. Seems we keep going through droughts here in the Texas Hill Country and you can't seem to feed sheep enough with supplemental feedings ever. I used horse & mule sweet feed for them. My feed bill was running close to $1,000.00 a month for the sheep, penned pigs and a few deer feeders. Check your corn prices now. The droughting keeps us away from food plots. Doesn't do any good to plant if you don't get any rainfall and don't want to send time and money to set up irrigation and pay the water bill. I do have a set up being I'm on the river, but the electric bill for running pumps costs more than it's worth as well. A hydraulic ram pump doesn't cut it to pump so much uphill either.

Mail report from one of my hunters ( South Carolina) who was here last week for awards.
It's so dry in the Texas Hill Country that the Baptists are starting to baptize by sprinkling, the Methodists are using wet-wipes, the Presbyterians are giving out rain-checks, and the Catholics are praying for the wine to turn back into water.

Now That's Dry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts