Crossbow Nation banner
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
WR, did you get the cell link camera, the E6 for $69.99?!?
I bought two of the E6's a year ago. They aren't cell cams. They link up with your I phone via wifi and you can download pictures from 50 feet ish... not much farther than that. It took a little while for the pictures to download. Interesting feature and it worked fairly well. But if you have to get that close might as well swap out the card. I guess I am even lazier than that and set up the E5's with spylinks.

Reactions: robertyb

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
WR, did you get the cell link camera, the E6 for $69.99?!?
Negative, I got the A3's regular cameras
I only do single photos every 5 seconds on all my cameras. I am not interested in video clips of raccoons, squirrels, coyotes, or even bobcats. I want snap shot pics of what deer are in the area, & what time of the day they are there.

I have the E5, and I think the manual is quite impressive for a somewhat unknown brand trail camera. I have the side sensors turned on, and the highest sensor setting set. I have E5 deer pics off in the distance that would never be picked up by any of my other cameras. I wouldn't say it's a wide angle view, however.

I just received two more E5 cameras on sale in the mail yesterday. If my other brands fail, these cameras are replacing them. I like the set up features and buttons of these cameras. $58 for a "no glow" camera of this quality makes me happy.

If Browning cameras were my only choice, I would give up on using trail cameras. I can't stomach paying $100-175 for something that does last more than a season or two.
Regarding the two side sensors, They don't trigger the camera, they somehow pre activate the main sensor for a quicker reaction. They can be programmed off or on, In the on position they can use more battery power, obviously when off they don't drain the batteries as fast. I have mine turned on, as I have a relatively narrow viewing area.
So far with the amount of pictures mine haven taken, the battery meter is still high. I'm using energizer max alkaline.

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
So, which gardepros can send the pictures to your phone and how do you get them to hook up?!?

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
The E6 does it

·
Registered
648 Posts
wow, every 5 seconds? Is that correct? If it is, you must get a ton of pictures?
Not really! If a deer is passing through, you may get one or two pics of it. If it's pointing to a hanging vine/licking branch or something like that, I may get multiple pics. Maybe I am missing something here? Most cameras will do a burst of pics in rapid succession, & I am not using that feature. The GardePro E5 has pic burst settings of 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 pics. I am only doing 1 pic (not multiple pics) every 5 seconds. The camera defaults to 10 seconds.

If anything, I probably miss some deer if multiple ones are walking past a spot close to the camera. I don't think pics use up space or batteries like videos. Most of my SD cards are 16 GB (a few are 8 GB).

If I have my GardePro E5 set at the following megapixels, it will hold the following number of pics on one 16 GB SD card. I am setting up a new camera I got yesterday to come with these numbers tonight.

2 MP = 30,244 pics
4 MP = 24, 195 pics
8 MP = 15,122 pics
16 MP = 10081 pics
24 MP = 6048 pics
32 MP = 5040 pics

I would never set any camera above 8 megapixels. Not because I am worried about SD memory, however. Night pics are better with lower megapixels settings. Larger megapixels capture more light. For example, 8 megapixels are 3 times larger than 24 megapixels. Cameras with large megapixel ratings are nothing more than marketing hype. I seldom have more than a couple hundred pics on any given card.

1. When I take a SD card home, all the pics are deleted off that card when I download it on Photos (Mac laptop). That card goes back into a camera empty again some day down the road.

2. I move any pics I want to keep to a flash drive. Each camera location has its own folder on this flash drive.

3. I only keep the pics I want (mostly buck pics). Everything else is deleted/trashed from Photos before the next SD card is checked/downloaded. That takes a few seconds.

4. Once the pics I want are in the folders, I go through & name each one. Dates are used to keep them in order. For example - 220918 Tall 9, 220918 Tall 9 II, & 220918 Tall 9 III would represent the pics of a tall 9 pointer taken on my property September 18, 2022. The II & III lets me know I have 3 good pics of him on that date. It could be three different poses of him taken over the course of a 15-20 seconds period. If the Tall 9 appeared on camera today, that pic would be labeled 220921 Tall 9.

I can scan where different bucks are at different camera locations and by what dates. The pics themselves indicate the date & actual time, but listing them this way lets me find what I want faster. I currently have 9 cameras on my 72 acres.

Am I concerned about the number of pics taken?

If I have 50-400 (8 MP pics) on a 16 GB card that will hold over 15,000 pics, that's really not a concern. I may save 15-20 of those pics in the proper flash drive folder. Meanwhile the SD card is emptied every time I download the pics on it.

Am I using more batteries & memory than someone running video clips?

I couldn't tell you, because I am not interested in videos. I don't want to look at videos of squirrels and raccoons, nor do I want them wasting my batteries. Scanning over a pic of a squirrel takes very little time. I don't lose sleep over the cost of taking its pic either.

I just started using cameras a few years ago. I want a snap shot of bucks in my area. A couple years back, I had 17 different bucks go past a single camera in one day during the peak of the pre-rut. If someone had told me there were that many bucks running around at the time, I would have laughed at them. Yet, I had the pics to prove myself wrong. It's possible a couple smaller bucks passed through two different times of the day, but I am quite certain most of them weren't the same ones. It sort of made me realize the value of trail cameras.

This is a summary of how I use my trail cameras. I only keep pics that interest me. Most are deleted. If a trail camera is working properly, the batteries should go for months without issue. SD cards are only changed when I hunt a particular area this time of year.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I can't say this is actually true or not. I was told by a camera brand tech, that the multiple mega pixel setting is misleading and is really a marketing tool. He said cameras pictures contain only a certain amount of pixels. By increasing the mega pixel setting does not increase the amount of pixels in the picture, it only magnifies the original picture. That does make some sense as I noticed with a higher setting, the pictures were more blurry versus a lower setting. His recommendation was to use the lower settings.

·
Registered
17,581 Posts
I usually run my camera on video because I see a lot of deer in the 10 to 20 second videos I take that show in the background that I would not have seen if only a picture was taken. Especially during pre rut and rut periods. An example is a doe at 20 yards that tripped the camera with a large buck following 15 seconds later at 40 to 50 yards. The buck wouldn't have tripped the camera.

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
My cams are pointed at my corn feeders. It's nothing for me to get 1500 pics or more weekly. The same deer might get its pic taken 10-15 times before it moves out from in front of the camera and it might return 5 minutes later. The cards will hold thousands so there's no worry about filling up the cards. I simply save the ones I want in a folder on the computer by date and toss the rest. Out of 1500 pics I might save 40 or so. At the end of the year I'll burn a copy of all the pictures in that folder onto a CD to look at later if I want to. Every month I back up my pictures to a zip drive so I dont loose them should something happen to the 'puter.

Reactions: dale lockwood

·
Registered
648 Posts
I can't say this is actually true or not. I was told by a camera brand tech, that the multiple mega pixel setting is misleading and is really a marketing tool. He said cameras pictures contain only a certain amount of pixels. By increasing the mega pixel setting does not increase the amount of pixels in the picture, it only magnifies the original picture. That does make some sense as I noticed with a higher setting, the pictures were more blurry versus a lower setting. His recommendation was to use the lower settings.
I bought a twin pack of cheap 20 MP trial cameras some time ago. The owner's manual recommends setting the camera @ 4 MP. The 20 MP rating means nothing in my opinion.

·
Registered
17,581 Posts
I set up my new A3 at 8 MP and the pics look great. I have read on here and on reviews on Amazon that the A3 has only 2 choices of Picture or Video. My new one has 3 choices including a PIC/Vid choice which is where mine is going to be set out in the field. Is that new for them?

·
Registered
17,581 Posts
Put mine out to replace an old Bushnell this morning after 10 AM and already got a deer pic. My DB SV blind is at the upper left side of the pic and blends in well even without being brushed in. That would be a 20 yard shot.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a couple of A3 from Amazon for $52 each.
I’m looking forward to trying them out.

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
Got a link for the $52 one? All I see on Amazon is $65.

Reactions: robertyb

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
GardePro A3 Trail Camera 24MP 1080P, H.264 HD Video, Clear 100ft No Glow Infrared Night Vision, 0.1s Trigger Speed, 82ft Motion Detection, Waterproof Cam for Wildlife Deer Game Trail https://a.co/d/5MSEQqG

61 - 80 of 89 Posts