Crossbow Nation banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Heck, just send the Garmin over to Peche Island (or an island further south down-river if your on the SW side) on a radio controlled boat.
I can take over control with the identical controller from the Canadian side.
The river rarely has any large ice floes as it did 30 to 60 years ago.
Hmmm, the possibilities are endless LOLOL!
Cool I love to see this done ! Do it !

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Currently the issue is the size of the tech required to have the range finder and scope w/zoom in one. It makes the scope large and heavy.

Give me a fixed 3.5x similar to the Trijicon MRO size or 1x w/3.5x swing mount that links to a pair of binos like the Sig does with their Kilo binos.

The Sig system is a rifle system that they reversed software engineered into working with a crossbow. Just give me the same tech in a fixed 3.5x red dot sized scope.

Assuming I matched a set of arrows to hold a 3” group at 100 yards doesn’t mean I’m going to risk the shot with all the other variables involved. 25-60 yards is more the norm for hunting distances. I don’t need (or want) a lot of zoom for this.

Garmin is on the right path. If the crossbow market continues to grow, other optics companies will join in.

-jm2c
I just got done sighting it in. They are on the right track but it isn't all there. I had to continually revive it from sleep mode, even after I changed it to the maximum time (not sure that was working right). it was on the slow side to wake up and the ranging target was WAY low from where the 20 yard dot was ( like below a deer belly low!). I tried to drop the 20 yard dot from the top of the field of view and ran out of down elevation adjustment and then had to redo the dot back up. On the plus side it did a decent job of moving the dot to distance, so that worked. The down side of that is you have to shoot the distance before you shoot the shot. That wasn't all that quick either. As long as the buck stands there awhile while I fumble around turning it on with one button and ranging with a separate button I'm all set and that happens...well never. The range button didn't seem to revive the scope. You can get a remote ranging button that mounts by the trigger. But as far as I could see you would still have to hit a different button on the top of the scope to revive it and then use the ranging button before you could take the shot. I can barely get the bow up, the safety off and remember to aim when I see a buck! lol. I am not sure throwing in a couple extra steps with this will work for me. And I don't have enough time for a pre shot checklist.

Smaller and lighter would be great. But they need some work on the software too.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have used Ravin Jack plate with a Hawke scope, ATN 4k Pro, and have been using Sig Sauer 2.5-8 32mm BDX scope and Kilo 1800 range finder. Deadly out to 112 yards (although I don't shoo that far when hunting). Nothing beyond 70-80 yards max. over 90% under 60 yards. Super deadly set up very small scope. No bigger than a Hawke scope. Range finder with Blue tooth communication to scope is the size of a small hand held range finder. Range target, look thru scope place holdover LED on target, fire. It is that simple. I highly recommend this setup over the others. Go here to learn more if you wish. It is our Sig Sauer Crossbow user's group: SIG SAUER BDX CROSSBOW USERS

The group photo is my R20 with that scope and the range finder setting in front of it.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Sounds more like something you would use for target shooting of 3d. If not quick and simple it's not a good hunting tool.
agreed

·
Registered
94 Posts
Old compound hunter, new to crossbows. Just bought a Vapor, just before the new scope/bow combo came out and am thinking of putting the Garmin on it because the scope that came with it is just too busy with all the lines in it for these almost 80 year old eyes. Am wondering if those of you who either do have the scope or know someone who does. put a cheek pad on the stock, as it looks like it sits quite high, to get eye alignment with the scope.

·
Premium Member
3,768 Posts
Old compound hunter, new to crossbows. Just bought a Vapor, just before the new scope/bow combo came out and am thinking of putting the Garmin on it because the scope that came with it is just too busy with all the lines in it for these almost 80 year old eyes. Am wondering if those of you who either do have the scope or know someone who does. put a cheek pad on the stock, as it looks like it sits quite high, to get eye alignment with the scope.
From what I have read, the Garmin sits about the same height as most "normal" scopes.
It just looks taller.

These cheek pads are always an option, too, just in case:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I read a couple of posts that the lower knob interferes with the crank on the Ravin. Has anyone put one on a Ravin? and what were the work arounds.
I have one on my R-20 and found this on the Garmin support page.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hate to say it, but the garmin is pretty darn busy as it comes. Although, you can probably turn off most of the useful noise. The dot on the scope seemed to require more eye alignment than other scopes. You had to be right in a sweet spot to see the aimpoint in the scope. The height wasn't too bad for me. But I have kind of a long face anyway. it was about AR15 scope level maybe a touch higher. Height wasn't too bad. All of the crossbow scopes sit kind of high, it seems to me.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Mark,

How do you like it? Thanks for the support page link. I might get the replacement screw and put it on a Ravin just to see.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I checked with Garmin on this replacement screw and it is unavailable right now.

"Steven: After looking into it, I am being informed that that particular screw is currently not available, but should become available again soon.
Philip: could you put me on a back order list or something so it would ship when it comes in/
Philip: ?
Steven: I cannot, as there is no listing for the item at current time. If there was I could create the order and just having it waiting, but without an item listing I cannot create the order."

They have no idea when it will be available "soon" with a disclaimer about things around the globe being slow. All true. I kind of wish they had a part number so I didn't have to play hide and seek with Garmin trying to locate it again. I will check again in a month I guess. Par for the Covid course these days, so I can't be too upset with Garmin.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Irrelevant to a Ravin discussion, but it didn't interfere with the crank on my Excalibur 420TD test bow.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just got done sighting it in. They are on the right track but it isn't all there. I had to continually revive it from sleep mode, even after I changed it to the maximum time (not sure that was working right). it was on the slow side to wake up and the ranging target was WAY low from where the 20 yard dot was ( like below a deer belly low!). I tried to drop the 20 yard dot from the top of the field of view and ran out of down elevation adjustment and then had to redo the dot back up. On the plus side it did a decent job of moving the dot to distance, so that worked. The down side of that is you have to shoot the distance before you shoot the shot. That wasn't all that quick either. As long as the buck stands there awhile while I fumble around turning it on with one button and ranging with a separate button I'm all set and that happens...well never. The range button didn't seem to revive the scope. You can get a remote ranging button that mounts by the trigger. But as far as I could see you would still have to hit a different button on the top of the scope to revive it and then use the ranging button before you could take the shot. I can barely get the bow up, the safety off and remember to aim when I see a buck! lol. I am not sure throwing in a couple extra steps with this will work for me. And I don't have enough time for a pre shot checklist.

Smaller and lighter would be great. But they need some work on the software too.
TMI, multiple steps/buttons and time aren’t the best for hunting.

The Sig System works ok solo, but you still have to switch between Bino/finder and scope. But once you have a hold over lock it stays until re-ranged. The system works perfect with a guide who re-ranges at your request.

·
Registered
13,498 Posts
TMI, multiple steps/buttons and time aren’t the best for hunting.

The Sig System works ok solo, but you still have to switch between Bino/finder and scope. But once you have a hold over lock it stays until re-ranged. The system works perfect with a guide who re-ranges at your request.
No you don't. It has ballistic holds built in if you don't want to buy or use the rangefinder. I have mine set up using them for 20-30-40-50 yards.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I checked with Garmin on this replacement screw and it is unavailable right now.

"Steven: After looking into it, I am being informed that that particular screw is currently not available, but should become available again soon.
Philip: could you put me on a back order list or something so it would ship when it comes in/
Philip: ?
Steven: I cannot, as there is no listing for the item at current time. If there was I could create the order and just having it waiting, but without an item listing I cannot create the order."

They have no idea when it will be available "soon" with a disclaimer about things around the globe being slow. All true. I kind of wish they had a part number so I didn't have to play hide and seek with Garmin trying to locate it again. I will check again in a month I guess. Par for the Covid course these days, so I can't be too upset with Garmin.
Not surprised that it is unavailable, I spoke to sr team leader Chris about the availability of the trigger clips and was told those were not available yet either, but told me he had some of the demo kits he had have the clips and said he’d send me one of the curved clips to get me by.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Th
Hate to say it, but the garmin is pretty darn busy as it comes. Although, you can probably turn off most of the useful noise. The dot on the scope seemed to require more eye alignment than other scopes. You had to be right in a sweet spot to see the aimpoint in the scope. The height wasn't too bad for me. But I have kind of a long face anyway. it was about AR15 scope level maybe a touch higher. Height wasn't too bad. All of the crossbow scopes sit kind of high, it seems to me.
Thank You for the useful information. At my age I just hope I make it from one season to the next so I guess I am actually just getting things for my Grandson when he gets my hunting equipment. With 4 children of his own I know he can not afford this kind of stuff. For myself I might be better off getting a HHA Optimizer and a regular rifle scope with a single dot cross hair and using a hand held range finder.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Th

Thank You for the useful information. At my age I just hope I make it from one season to the next so I guess I am actually just getting things for my Grandson when he gets my hunting equipment. With 4 children of his own I know he can not afford this kind of stuff. For myself I might be better off getting a HHA Optimizer and a regular rifle scope with a single dot cross hair and using a hand held range finder.
I'm hoping to make a few more seasons myself. It sounds like it all goes to good use both ways. I have had the opportunity to start my sons gun collection in a similar manner. It is nice to see them get enjoyment and appreciation out of some of the gear. It's all good and grand kids are really great too!.

Shoot I still have a quite a few trinkets from my grandfather that I have kept for all these years and still get appreciation and enjoyment out of them!

21 - 40 of 55 Posts