Crossbow Nation banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
No you don't. It has ballistic holds built in if you don't want to buy or use the rangefinder. I have mine set up using them for 20-30-40-50 yards.
?? It would seem odd to purchase a real time ballistic calculation scope to not buy the components necessary to make if 'real time calculate'. This being said. The "leave and forget multi point" feature is not what I'm talking about.

The feature that I use is a single dot that moves every time you range. It's a single point. I don't like the multiple points. That's nothing more that the electric version of the factory scope.

I also like to know my exact range to target and surrounding POF objects, but that's coming more from the rifle world and long distance shooting.

·
Registered
13,498 Posts
?? It would seem odd to purchase a real time ballistic calculation scope to not buy the components necessary to make if 'real time calculate'. This being said. The "leave and forget multi point" feature is not what I'm talking about.

The feature that I use is a single dot that moves every time you range. It's a single point. I don't like the multiple points. That's nothing more that the electric version of the factory scope.

I also like to know my exact range to target and surrounding POF objects, but that's coming more from the rifle world and long distance shooting.
It only takes a few seconds to swap from fixed to ranging if you want to use the RF. When hunting in heavy cover like I normally do I prefer fixed holds as I will not get a shot over 40 yards. But if I am in a blind or stand overlooking a field I will swap over and use my RF.
And yes, you are sort of correct that it is nothing more than the electric version of the factory speed dial scope. Lets see you dial in any factory speed dial scope with settings for 28 -36- 45 -54 -68- 79- 83 -103 yards. Yep you can do that with the Sig Sauer and still revert to the RF option at will. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
It only takes a few seconds to swap from fixed to ranging if you want to use the RF. When hunting in heavy cover like I normally do I prefer fixed holds as I will not get a shot over 40 yards. But if I am in a blind or stand overlooking a field I will swap over and use my RF.
And yes, you are sort of correct that it is nothing more than the electric version of the factory speed dial scope. Lets see you dial in any factory speed dial scope with settings for 28 -36- 45 -54 -68- 79- 83 -103 yards. Yep you can do that with the Sig Sauer and still revert to the RF option at will. :)

That is exactly why I pulled the trigger on the X1I,
I have had to many times that I didn’t have time to manipulate two things at once range and switch to the bow that’s why with the bdx system I used the fix pin mode that way if I could range great if not I can go to my knowledge of distance I hunt and have aim points.
But the X1i changes the game by being a thumb press away for range and shot quickly as well as fixed points with a press of the thumb.
Like mine so far.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I see your point. For me it comes down to personal preferences, how I'm hunting and the animals vital size. I use the Sig system with their ranging binoculars more than I use their rangefinder. I also have a guide with me most of the time so he is able to range for me.

Either way the Garmin type set up is the future of electric cross bow sights. They will only get smaller and less expensive.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
That is exactly why I pulled the trigger on the X1I,
I have had to many times that I didn’t have time to manipulate two things at once range and switch to the bow that’s why with the bdx system I used the fix pin mode that way if I could range great if not I can go to my knowledge of distance I hunt and have aim points.
But the X1i changes the game by being a thumb press away for range and shot quickly as well as fixed points with a press of the thumb.
Like mine so far.
Mark,
Does the scope come on when you hit the remote trigger positioned button? It didn't seem to come on when I hit the ranging button on top of the scope. I had to hit one of the other buttons and then the ranging button. I didn't install the trigger button yet.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I see your point. For me it comes down to personal preferences, how I'm hunting and the animals vital size. I use the Sig system with their ranging binoculars more than I use their rangefinder. I also have a guide with me most of the time so he is able to range for me.

Either way the Garmin type set up is the future of electric cross bow sights. They will only get smaller and less expensive.
The reason Sig Sauer has not come out with a built in range finder in-scope is the very reasoning mentioned above. With all their international level expertise, both in the sporting market and in the military market, they have not been able to get the size down and the battery issues resolved. When they do, look out competitors. I got this information from guys in Sig Electro-optics department. They are close however. One of the biggest draw backs with the Garmin, is the max ranging distance for target hold-over acquisition (80 yards max), battery life, and physical size. Then there is the issue of difficulty dialing in the exact ballistics so the hold-over is accurate. I will stick with the tried and true Sig Sauer BDX system.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mark,
Does the scope come on when you hit the remote trigger positioned button? It didn't seem to come on when I hit the ranging button on top of the scope. I had to hit one of the other buttons and then the ranging button. I didn't install the trigger button yet.
With either the remote trigger or the scope trigger on top there seems to be a slight delay a sec or two but do work.
But if you hit either button quickly and release and repress it come right up no delay other than pushing the button twice which works faster for me.
Hope this helps,
Mark

·
Premium Member
3,768 Posts
The reason Sig Sauer has not come out with a built in range finder in-scope is the very reasoning mentioned above. With all their international level expertise, both in the sporting market and in the military market, they have not been able to get the size down and the battery issues resolved. When they do, look out competitors. I got this information from guys in Sig Electro-optics department. They are close however. One of the biggest draw backs with the Garmin, is the max ranging distance for target hold-over acquisition (80 yards max), battery life, and physical size. Then there is the issue of difficulty dialing in the exact ballistics so the hold-over is accurate. I will stick with the tried and true Sig Sauer BDX system.
Does the Garmin XERO not claim one year battery life?

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
With either the remote trigger or the scope trigger on top there seems to be a slight delay a sec or two but do work.
But if you hit either button quickly and release and repress it come right up no delay other than pushing the button twice which works faster for me.
Hope this helps,
Mark
I'll have to try the double tap. Thanks Mark.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I'll have to try the double tap. Thanks Mark.
It started up pretty quick with the trigger switch. Maybe my software update had to take effect or somthing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I saw this scope and I have to say, I thought it was just what I needed. But, I didn't research it enough and bought one.

It came on Christmas Eve. I opened it and I was surprised that by the size and weight ... at least double what I thought it was in my mind.

I like the idea of range finding on the scope. Not sure I want to carry this sucker hunting. I like the size and weight of my trijicon scope on the Ravin bow. This thing is a bit of a boat anchor of a scope!

I read a couple of posts that the lower knob interferes with the crank on the Ravin. Has anyone put one on a Ravin? and what were the work arounds.

I might end up putting in on an excalibur to try it out for now.
Purchased the Ravin R10 with the Garmin Xero X1i as a package from Dave at Wyvern. He includes a replacement bolt that eliminates the crank problem hitting the lower knob (1 minute fix). Had difficulty setting it up, and I contacted Garmin, who walked me through setup at a range near my home. I am pleased with Wyvern, Ravin and Garmin's incredible scope and service,. I have confidence in this setup and that scope can go on a lot of crossbows.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Purchased the Ravin R10 with the Garmin Xero X1i as a package from Dave at Wyvern. He includes a replacement bolt that eliminates the crank problem hitting the lower knob (1 minute fix). Had difficulty setting it up, and I contacted Garmin, who walked me through setup at a range near my home. I am pleased with Wyvern, Ravin and Garmin's incredible scope and service,. I have confidence in this setup and that scope can go on a lot of crossbows.
Thanks for the heads up topmavil mine comes awfully close on mine, could you please post a pic, and thanks again for the post as that was the only issue I have seen in the design

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Wyvern has always give me top service.
I will use again and again, etc.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Wyvern is great. I have to ask him about that screw. I got mine there too.

Reactions: dynamo61
41 - 55 of 55 Posts