Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All......I have now experienced what others wrote about with regards to GAS center servings being too small for the Ravin nock unless you ask for a larger than the .128 that they provide. I saw first hand how the nock slid left and right. I do shoot for GAS so I am in the process of getting this corrected in their flow. I emailed Destany/Eric and will hopefully get them to change the center serving diameter to a .132 - .135....I think they can do a .136 is what I have read here. I will get back to this thread when I get an answer.
Fred

·
Administrator
TP Nitro 505, Vapor 470, Siege, Sub 1 XR
2,142 Posts
Get yourself one of bigbird1 nock centering tools and order .140 IMO it will make a nice little nest for the nock and it can’t move yet you can get the nock on relatively easily.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the center serving tool so what I am really doing here with this thread is getting the specs that are needed. I shoot for GAS so I am trying to get them to increase size....they have to remain in spec to .135 with the option of the user requesting the .140 is what I am seeing here from you?

·
Administrator
TP Nitro 505, Vapor 470, Siege, Sub 1 XR
2,142 Posts
I know they made them for BB1 in .140 so I don’t see why they wouldn’t make that for you.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went ahead and made the request with them to increase center serving size to .135 in order to stay in spec but upon request to go to .140. I have a set right now that are useless to me and will have the string redone to .140 to see how that works. I sure am glad I read everything and saw it for myself.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have been using Ravin serving spec strings that Eric makes for many sets of strings (I change at beginning and end of every season and have two Ravins for 4 years). I have never had any problem with the servings they send me that are made to Ravin Specs. The only thing is that you have to push a little harder at first to seat the knock and break in the string. I don't see any need to change anything. I am shooting ten ring all day long at 100 yards with those strings. Also Eric lets me order U-knock spec or Ravin spec servings in either 10.1/2 ATA or 10.3/8 ATA strings. I sure hope they don't change the specs on the Ravin serving strings! I say "don't fix it if it ain't broke." As mentioned above, get Bigbird's knock seating tool and you will be set.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been using Ravin serving spec strings that Eric makes for many sets of strings (I change at beginning and end of every season and have two Ravins for 4 years). I have never had any problem with the servings they send me that are made to Ravin Specs. The only thing is that you have to push a little harder at first to seat the knock and break in the string. I don't see any need to change anything. I am shooting ten ring all day long at 100 yards with those strings. Also Eric lets me order U-knock spec or Ravin spec servings in either 10.1/2 ATA or 10.3/8 ATA strings. I sure hope they don't change the specs on the Ravin serving strings! I say "don't fix it if it ain't broke." As mentioned above, get Bigbird's knock seating tool and you will be set.
I just put a new set on and it barely clipped onto the string. It is a good check to make sure the company is building to spec. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Folks,
I don't want to be demeaning in any way but I'm been shooting Ravins since the R9 first came out in 2016. I invite any of you to go back to late 2016/2017 time frame on this forum and you'll begin to see continuous discussion about nock slippage on a Ravin string. I quickly learned that the size of the center serving was very important in order for the Ravin shooter to experience repeatable accuracy.

Since then, I've probably reserved Ravin strings for well over 200 CBN customers. I can assure you that a .135 diameter center serving will Not hold up to a lot of shots on any Ravin without the Ravin nock showing signs of sliding on the serving. You need to remember that if your cams get out of time, it causes the nock notch to shift slightly right or left depending on which side the cables stretch the most.
This shift from the center will encourage nock slippage over time because a slight amount of lateral force is introduced to the arrow upon release from the string after every single shot.

I no longer reserve strings for folks because aftermarket strings came on the market a few years ago that were prestretched before serving was applied using strand material that was more suited to not creep. In fact, some of you might recall I was the guy who introduced Archery Shack strings to the good folks on this forum. I even worked with Jeremy for about 4 months before they were introduced to help get string /cable lengths and strand count right as well as center serving diameter.
If you take a set of digital calibers and hold them so that the jaws are as parallel to the string as feasible, I have found from years of experience that an approx. diameter ranging from .140 to even .142 will provide the most longevity without seeing signs of nock slippage on a reserved Ravin string. But keep in mind that aftermarket string/cable sets don't stretch as much as Ravin OEM strings, Hence, if installed correctly with cams synched and timed, the nock will typically experience less lateral force over time. As a result, I believe Archery Shack double serves their strings to an approx. .138 diameter and that should be adequate. However, in my discussions with Eric Griggs with GAS, I asked for a slightly larger diameter of .140/.142. I made this request for several reasons:
1. I knew some folks wanted to use Dorge's Firenocks and since the nocks have a slightly larger throat diameter, it would make for a better fit.
2. I also knew a lot of CBN folks had my Nock Centering Tool (NCT) and with that tool, you can make a deeper nock notch in the serving to ensure minimal nock slippage. This of course, also allows the nock to be inserted with less force applied which is always a good thing - especially with a broadhead tipped arrow.

Sorry to be so long winded but this topic has been Beat to Death so many times that I'm tired of responding.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Folks,
I don't want to be demeaning in any way but I'm been shooting Ravins since the R9 first came out in 2016. I invite any of you to go back to late 2016/2017 time frame on this forum and you'll begin to see continuous discussion about nock slippage on a Ravin string. I quickly learned that the size of the center serving was very important in order for the Ravin shooter to experience repeatable accuracy.

Since then, I've probably reserved Ravin strings for well over 200 CBN customers. I can assure you that a .135 diameter center serving will Not hold up to a lot of shots on any Ravin without the Ravin nock showing signs of sliding on the serving. You need to remember that if your cams get out of time, it causes the nock notch to shift slightly right or left depending on which side the cables stretch the most.
This shift from the center will encourage nock slippage over time because a slight amount of lateral force is introduced to the arrow upon release from the string after every single shot.

I no longer reserve strings for folks because aftermarket strings came on the market a few years ago that were prestretched before serving was applied using strand material that was more suited to not creep. In fact, some of you might recall I was the guy who introduced Archery Shack strings to the good folks on this forum. I even worked with Jeremy for about 4 months before they were introduced to help get string /cable lengths and strand count right as well as center serving diameter.
If you take a set of digital calibers and hold them so that the jaws are as parallel to the string as feasible, I have found from years of experience that an approx. diameter ranging from .140 to even .142 will provide the most longevity without seeing signs of nock slippage on a reserved Ravin string. But keep in mind that aftermarket string/cable sets don't stretch as much as Ravin OEM strings, Hence, if installed correctly with cams synched and timed, the nock will typically experience less lateral force over time. As a result, I believe Archery Shack double serves their strings to an approx. .138 diameter and that should be adequate. However, in my discussions with Eric Griggs with GAS, I asked for a slightly larger diameter of .140/.142. I made this request for several reasons:
1. I knew some folks wanted to use Dorge's Firenocks and since the nocks have a slightly larger throat diameter, it would make for a better fit.
2. I also knew a lot of CBN folks had my Nock Centering Tool (NCT) and with that tool, you can make a deeper nock notch in the serving to ensure minimal nock slippage. This of course, also allows the nock to be inserted with less force applied which is always a good thing - especially with a broadhead tipped arrow.

Sorry to be so long winded but this topic has been Beat to Death so many times that I'm tired of responding.
Hi Bill....and it is for every reason you stated that I contacted them via email today and requested that from GAS. Sorry....but I did not read the previous threads and subsequently ordered the strings and they were apparently at a lower spec than Ravin states. Then...last week....I put my first set on the 29X and there was a ton of lateral movement and YOUR nock tool would not even fix that....kept spinning around. So, I started researching here in the Ravin section and low and behold I found others with the same problems. I am sorry if you are tired of this but there are new folks like myself who were not privy to those discussions and were in need of guidance. Sorry again Bill but please keep that in mind. Again, I do shoot for GAS and have a direct line to Destany and Eric and chose to try and maybe help out where I could. Have a great day!
Fred

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I also double serve to a close 142. Zero issues with OEM strings with the BigBird tool and doubled.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I also double serve to a close 142. Zero issues with OEM strings with the BigBird tool and doubled.
Can I do that without a jig? I have the spool and serving device. Going to stretch the string out in just a few via the bow press and will put on a .021...little thick as I really need a .015 serving for the double serving to achieve the .142 that you guys are talking about. So.....here we go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
What 2 serving diameters are you using to get that thickness and do you serve them both the same direction? Thanks.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here are pictures of what I did. Assuming the GAS was a diameter of .128, I did not have a .014 serving thread so I used a 3D .015 just to see the result of the diameter that Bill was talking about. I stretched the string on the EZ press that I have and then did a whip finish to get an idea of what I will want to do when I get the proper serving thread. Then I applied Bill's nock centering tool and it is tight but that is what I wanted. So, with the .014 that should give me what I want and now I can refinish my own bow strings...re-serve them when they need it. Pretty cool. Thank you to Bill.....could not have done this without your input and I am sorry that I was a bit stern but I was not privy to the previous threads as I had not researched back that far.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Sorry....had a senior moment there. So not a wasted string after all which is good to know/see. So when I get the knew center serving I will double serve this string again....not going to finish this one as it will come off...not the right center serving. I will share that picture when I do the double serve. Thanks Bowmanmt!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
Here are pictures of what I did. Assuming the GAS was a diameter of .128, I did not have a .014 serving thread so I used a 3D .015 just to see the result of the diameter that Bill was talking about. I stretched the string on the EZ press that I have and then did a whip finish to get an idea of what I will want to do when I get the proper serving thread. Then I applied Bill's nock centering tool and it is tight but that is what I wanted. So, with the .014 that should give me what I want and now I can refinish my own bow strings...re-serve them when they need it. Pretty cool. Thank you to Bill.....could not have done this without your input and I am sorry that I was a bit stern but I was not privy to the previous threads as I had not researched back that far.
So you used 2 layers of .015” serving?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
So you used 2 layers of .015” serving?
No....I used the original serving on the string from GAS....assumed it was about .128 string/serving diameter then just added the .015 3D for size comparison and found it was a tight fit for the nock centering tool. So, I am going to ask GAS on Monday what size they serve to then I will purchase the right size. I think the additional size will make for a diameter of .142 as Bill suggested and I think .014 BCY powergrip or halo serving. I do not know what the string diameter is ....that would make a difference as I can work with that. Could I assume a 1.00?

Here is a thread from 2021 that you were part of. Can I assume from what Bill stated that the string is 1.10? If that is the case then a combination according to him of .009 powergrip and and .021 angel majesty would work.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Fred,
I always used .026 Angel Majesty on the exterior layer because AM is a very durable serving that can take a lot of abuse. GAS wraps the interior layer very tightly with, as I recall, .009 Power Grip. I believe if you're careful, you can remove that first layer and reserve with .014 Power Grip. Then, switch ends of the string and reserve in the opposite direction with .026 AM.

I usually tried to overlap the interior layer about a 1/8" on each end. I also used a longer 3/4" back serve on the AM because I don't have an electric server like GAS uses. An approx 3/8" back serve on the first layer should suffice because the smaller diameter serving can't take as much tension without breaking.

To avoid cutting any strands when removing serving, I always used a small crochet hook to get under the serving end. Then I just slid my razor knife edge down over the crochet tool to cut the serving.

Very sorry your GAS center serving is too small. I'd suggest you definitely talk to Eric about this. Eric has been gracious enough to provide me strings that are what I would consider about as good as it gets. But obviously others are not receiving these strings for reasons unknown to me.

Bowmanmt (Mark) has made a good video on how to reserve your Ravin string and maybe he can share it once again for you folks who want to try it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts