Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Fred,
I always used .026 Angel Majesty on the exterior layer because AM is a very durable serving that can take a lot of abuse. GAS wraps the interior layer very tightly with, as I recall, .009 Power Grip. I believe if you're careful, you can remove that first layer and reserve with .014 Power Grip. Then, switch ends of the string and reserve in the opposite direction with .026 AM.

I usually tried to overlap the interior layer about a 1/8" on each end. I also used a longer 3/4" back serve on the AM because I don't have an electric server like GAS uses. An approx 3/8" back serve on the first layer should suffice because the smaller diameter serving can't take as much tension without breaking.

To avoid cutting any strands when removing serving, I always used a small crochet hook to get under the serving end. Then I just slid my razor knife edge down over the crochet tool to cut the serving.

Very sorry your GAS center serving is too small. I'd suggest you definitely talk to Eric about this. Eric has been gracious enough to provide me strings that are what I would consider about as good as it gets. But obviously others are not receiving these strings for reasons unknown to me.

Bowmanmt (Mark) has made a good video on how to reserve your Ravin string and maybe he can share it once again for you folks who want to try it.
Thanks Bill.....that is some very good information that I am planning on using. I am going to speak with the GAS folks....already emailed them so they know it is coming tomorrow. I also messaged Mark and asked him if I could view the video....just need to find it somewhere. I know this has been trampled to death in the mud but learning never stops.
Fred

Registered
Fred,
I always used .026 Angel Majesty on the exterior layer because AM is a very durable serving that can take a lot of abuse. GAS wraps the interior layer very tightly with, as I recall, .009 Power Grip. I believe if you're careful, you can remove that first layer and reserve with .014 Power Grip. Then, switch ends of the string and reserve in the opposite direction with .026 AM.
So you serve the 1st layer with .014鈥 Power Grip and then serve in the opposite direction with .026鈥 AM?

That makes more sense than those that I鈥檝e read that serve both in the same direction - seems like that could make for uneven serving with the occasional top coil nesting in between the 1st layer coils.

But however my factory Ravin string was served, it鈥檚 holding up extremely well.

Reactions: frederick d. be

Registered
Video sent. Remember my teacher was Bigbird. So if your serving get screwed up. blame him. 馃槀
I am using 014 pg and 26 AM then Bills notch serving tool.
Well since I'm Bigbird1, that must not be me! ;)
I ask everyone to keep in mind that we're only talking about stuff for those folks who are ate up with getting the most accuracy out of their Ravin.
The stock strings are plenty fine for most.
But when you expect to center punch the 1/2" dot very time and get upset when you don't, well you start to become a little OCD.
Have fun you guys.:)

Registered
Young grasshopper and WWB are good folks - even if they are from Connecticut. ;);)
I'm sure Alton has got that TP505 shooting good and always glad to see another great arrow maker come on the scene.
It doesn't make much sense to be picky about your crossbow tune and yet utilize arrows that aren't even spine indexed, let alone spine matched.
Take care my friend.

Registered
where are you located, if you're nearby stop up and I'll show you what I've learned.

Registered
Hey
Well since I'm Bigbird1, that must not be me! ;)
I ask everyone to keep in mind that we're only talking about stuff for those folks who are ate up with getting the most accuracy out of their Ravin.
The stock strings are plenty fine for most.
But when you expect to center punch the 1/2" dot very time and get upset when you don't, well you start to become a little OCD.
Have fun you guys.:)
Hey, when you talk about OCD and accuracy I resemble that!

Registered
I just found this thread tonight. I have a new set of GAS strings for my R10 that measure .126" at the serving. I have not installed the set yet. The arrow will not even lock onto the string. :(

I will call them in the a.m. and see what they have to say. ??

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I just found this thread tonight. I have a new set of GAS strings for my R10 that measure .126" at the serving. I have not installed the set yet. The arrow will not even lock onto the string. :(

I will call them in the a.m. and see what they have to say. ??
I learned from Mark鈥.bowmanmt 鈥..how to fix that. I redid 2 of my GAS strings to a .140 and they work perfectly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
I learned from Mark鈥.bowmanmt 鈥..how to fix that. I redid 2 of my GAS strings to a .140 and they work perfectly.

I would not think that I would have to do that. This is why I bought what I thought was a good set. I have their strings on my bow now and that serving is just under .140" in diameter. Not sure why they made the new one so small.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I would not think that I would have to do that. This is why I bought what I thought was a good set. I have their strings on my bow now and that serving is just under .140" in diameter. Not sure why they made the new one so small.
I asked and they told me the were going to stay on the
low end of the specs due to folks complaining鈥︹.have no idea what or where that came from. You can request a larger diameter. Call Destiny and ask.

Registered
I wanted to update this discussion since my last post. I contacted GAS and they said send it back. I did and they reserved it to .141". No charge. Sending me another set just like it. They mentioned to me that if when ordering these strings from them that we just need to mention that we want the larger serving and they will do it that way, no problem. They were awesome about my issue and handled it very professionally. Top Notch in my books.

Registered
I wanted to update this discussion since my last post. I contacted GAS and they said send it back. I did and they reserved it to .141". No charge. Sending me another set just like it. They mentioned to me that if when ordering these strings from them that we just need to mention that we want the larger serving and they will do it that way, no problem. They were awesome about my issue and handled it very professionally. Top Notch in my books.
That sounds great Robert. My experience with GAS matches yours. Eric Griggs and his team of string makers are the real deal. These guys definitely take pride in making quality compound and crossbow bowstrings.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts