Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Florida Alligator tag that is transferable as long as I am in the boat with the person I transfered the tag to. I would like to trade the tag for a hunt. These hunts sell for somewhere in the $2500.00 area if you were to book the hunt with a guide. My hunting partner and I have all the equipment and boats to do the hunt.this hunt can be taken anytime from mid September to mid October of this year. Email me your info and what you have to trade if you might be interested. [email protected]

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Do you bow fish too? I made a deal with Mike Smith on two tags this spring already so,... Is it raining there? The gators and pigs may be getting a shower I hear. Might have to send us a weather report! Be careful this week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guide Girl, I live in the panhandle and it is not raining yet. My son lives down south and they are closing all the business because of the hurricane. Yes, the pigs and gators will be getting quite a bath this week! My buddy got a good 11 1/2 footer about 450 pounds opening night which was Saturday.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Warthog, basically we hunt Gators at night. Florida allows several methods. The first is to put a bait on a heavy fishing rod and toss the bait to the gator. The second is to use a snatch treble hook and cast over a floating gator and hook him.
Being that we are all crossbow fanatics, my favorite method is to shoot him with a crossbow. Regular bows are also allowed. Basically you go out at night and shine a light onto the water. when you see the red illuminated gator eyes you either call him to you or you slowly sneak up on him with a trolling motor.When they are within a few feet you shoot them just behind the head in the soft spot. Too far foward and you hit the hard head. Too far back and the arrow bounces off the bony plates called scoots. I shoot a 10 point Pro Fusion and have seen arrows bounce off a gator like they were solid steel.
Muzzy makes an excellent gator point and line to hold the gator. Once you shoot him the gator takes off across the lake. you give him about 30 feet of line and have a jug on the end. After his first run you chase down the jug and start to fight him. I have taken gators up to 12 feet 7.5 inches weighing in excess of 800 pounds this way. That gator was actually the SCI #2. I fought that gator 3 1/2 hours before I was able to kill him with a bangstick.
If you have never tried it you are missing something in your hunting life. Hope that answers your question.

·
342 Posts
Urban Legend said:
That sounds awesome. Is there any way you can post some pics of your gators?
I should move to Fla....hogs and gators all in one! what a deal...

·
7 Posts
Will you have an extra tag next year? I could trade out some deer and/or turkey hunting in KY, but this year is busy for me. We have about 2 months of x-bow season for deer. I do want to get a gator sometime. Doesn't even have to be tropy sized. Just want to do it, preferbly with a bow or x-bow.

James

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you draw a gator tag you get to kill 2 of them. I will apply next year but who knows if I will draw. Would love to trade out a hunt if I do.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
I missed the draw here in Texas by a day, but I'm watching several, with two being good 12 footers. This weekend, I only saw 4 all weekend when I usually see 4 a night. Got some good footage of one though. He was only a 6 footer, and really curious about the lights on the boat. So, in my preparation for next years draw, where do I find a bang stick for the boat? Thanks for any info. you can give. Yes, please post pictures or film!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guidegirl, Try Gatorguides.com for their bangstick. They get their equipment from ratworks. You can buy anything you need from them. We have had terrible flooding from last weeks tropical storm. Will be gator hunting Friday night if everything goes well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts