Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The MOST IMPORTANT discussion to have with him is the "triangle of death" that is created when the crossbow is cocked. Above the barrel and made up by the string and limbs. Keeping fingers and other body parts away from or well below is extremely important. Most crossbow related injuries occur within this triangle. Safety First!

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
140 Posts
Way to go. I started my daughter out with a nerf crossbow when she was 5 (she is now 12) then after she had the basics and respected all safety with it, I bought her one of the cheap Jaguar crossbows. I played around with it and got it to where it was very accurate at 20-30 yards but I just didn’t think it had enough to deer hunt with. Once she turned 8 and was big enough to handle it, I bought her a CenterPoint Sniper 370 (it was pretty much a knock off of my TenPoint Stealth SS). We built some good arrows and done some mods on the bow itself and now she is shooting right along beside of me although I still need to do the cocking for her. She has become very proficient with it and is quite the shooter, I’m very proud of her.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The MOST IMPORTANT discussion to have with him is the "triangle of death" that is created when the crossbow is cocked. Above the barrel and made up by the string and limbs. Keeping fingers and other body parts away from or well below is extremely important. Most crossbow related injuries occur within this triangle. Safety First!
Oh for sure!!! It was the very first thing we talked about ,As I showed him how to put it together, And everytime we shot we go over safety topics before the bow gets cocked and a bolt goes in. I do like the fact it has the finger safety tabs on this little bow, but it still is a topic of discussion. He is 6yrs. old BTW

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Way to go. I started my daughter out with a nerf crossbow when she was 5 (she is now 12) then after she had the basics and respected all safety with it, I bought her one of the cheap Jaguar crossbows. I played around with it and got it to where it was very accurate at 20-30 yards but I just didn’t think it had enough to deer hunt with. Once she turned 8 and was big enough to handle it, I bought her a CenterPoint Sniper 370 (it was pretty much a knock off of my TenPoint Stealth SS). We built some good arrows and done some mods on the bow itself and now she is shooting right along beside of me although I still need to do the cocking for her. She has become very proficient with it and is quite the shooter, I’m very proud of her.
My Grandson turns 7 in Oct and was thinking about getting a Barnett XP 350 and shooting tripod for him, but we will see how he does with the open sights and general usage of the Daisy during the summer months.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think they should put regular traditional archery back in schools.
Funny you should say that! I also got him one of those fiberglass 30# recurve kids bow we used to use in school. But he likes the crossbow better.(surprise) But I agree, and I think it is best he learns both.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Never forget my upbringing. All my friends had Benjamins and Sheridans. I had a crosman 760, smooth bore. I guess i learned early that i had to better myself.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes I believe they should bring archery back into school also. I think there are many things to be learned from it.
I was supposed to teach an after school hours archery class at my daughters school this year but due to all the disruption with Covid, we have had to postpone the class twice now. Hopefully this spring we will be able to do it.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
I think TK was 6 when I started him out. I don’t think his eyes were open with the 1st one the right.

IMG_0489.JPG

·
Registered
13,920 Posts
Exactly the way I intend my two grand daughters to get acquinted with crossbows.;) Right now theyre 2 yrs old and 2 weeks old.:)

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
I have numerous Primos Trigger Sticks and they’re fine for me but I always preferred the Fieldpod Max for my grandson.

Actually I used it a lot myself inside the blind, whether crossbow, rifle, or ML. I always mark the center of balance on everything and adjust the yoke so they’re always balanced so I can have it set with it as loose as possible and easy to swing side to side.

I even have marks on the tube to adjust for various weapons.

DSCN2739.JPG
DSCN1644.JPG

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
People used to complain about the folding stock on the Scorpyd Ventilator, the rear of the stock worked really well to hold my thermos cup when sitting on the Fieldpod Max. :p

IMG_2037.JPG

1 - 16 of 16 Posts