Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I'm new here, I've read lots of good info on here. I'm not new to Archery hunting, I've bow hunted for almost 30 years and a neck surgery and torn rotator cuff has forced me to use a crossbow.
My question is this, last year I bought a pse fang and have shot it at least a couple hundred times and didn't have a problem.
This year I bought a barnett ghost 410, shot it about 20 times and the center serving separated. The dealer i bought it from reserved it, i shot it twice and same thing! Are the strings that bad of quality?

·
3,321 Posts
I know the crank is a little harder on the server than the rope cocker is, at least that's what I see with my BCX, .But servings on all Barnett's are not that tight and do like to slide or unravel sooner than most. It's a shame that they can't get a good maker to straighten out this problem. The complaints are plenty over the yrs. I have heard ppl going with 60x strings and being real happy with them. Sooner or later you also will see separation around the hard bend of the cams. I would use it until you can't no more, then buy a 60x string, and don't look back. I like Barnetts, but this has been a nuisance. Good Luck . Ps Tim50 also has a good point.

Reactions: Stalker

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately There already is separation on the buss cables !
I agree....why don't they use better strings and cables? I hate to rant but it's a little ridiculous.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
When I had problems with my Barnett Ghost 410, I installed a string and cable set from 60X. Once properly tuned: axle to axle measurement per the manual, cam timing and cam leveling, I have several thousand shots on this set with absolutely no stretch, fraying or serving separation. For long life, keep the string and cables well lubricated and a light coat on the rail. I use the Barnett Crank Cocking sled. All the best in what ever you choose.

·
716 Posts
X3 on the 60X strings and cables, just put them on my WildCat C5.

·
1,386 Posts
This has been and is currently being addressed by Barnett. Unfortunately there are still strings and cables in the system (in stock and in shipped product) that exhibit what you encountered. If your reserve separated also, the reserver just didn't do it tight enough.

I reserve all servings on these strings after a settling/shoot in period of around 25 to 50 shots. String tension is 300 lbs, and serving tension is as tight as I can get without breaking the serving. Once this is done they last a long time.

Even some aftermarket strings experience this problem, so experience from those that have had good luck with a particular brand should be heeded.

JMHO

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
This has been and is currently being addressed by Barnett. Unfortunately there are still strings and cables in the system (in stock and in shipped product) that exhibit what you encountered. If your reserve separated also, the reserver just didn't do it tight enough.

I reserve all servings on these strings after a settling/shoot in period of around 25 to 50 shots. String tension is 300 lbs, and serving tension is as tight as I can get without breaking the serving. Once this is done they last a long time.

Even some aftermarket strings experience this problem, so experience from those that have had good luck with a particular brand should be heeded.

JMHO
X2.The actual string material on Barnett bows is good D97.Their servings are simply served too loose.Once reserved they have held up for me.

Its great they are or have finally addressed the issue.Too late imo though.I now have a 60x string and cables on it with no problems.60x got my money this time.Bet they've lost lots of sales of strings and bows due to bad servings.

Reactions: Old Summit
1 - 9 of 9 Posts