Crossbow Nation banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I can agree on the string part for the Excaliburs if you have a good custom made Boo or Vixenmaster string but get rid of everything except for 1 Excal bow and you will get a splintered limb fast. We know that you can shoot a splintered limb without problems but most folks do not and want new limbs immediately. Before Excal started selling "seconds" I bought a spare set of limbs off the CT forum and they are still in the box they came in, great insurance as my limbs know there is a backup so nothing happens to them. :)
Robert I been shooting the same splintered limbs on my 380 mad max for 6 years, I have no intentions of changing limbs when that bow will shoot under 3/4" at 50 yards all day long, far to many call minor blems failures,,,,,:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Did you read the second sentence I wrote?
yes, but I am not most people, I have been shooting them for 6 years since a week after I bought it new, I did get a spare set of limbs about 4 years ago, but have no intention of seeing if they would be as accurate as what I already have. Just saying, mostr people think they are bad or dangerous,,, me,, just cosmetics 90% of the time.

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
I shot a splintered limb for 2 years on my Excalibur Vortex. I only swapped limbs because I had an order coming from Danny so he threw in warranty limbs for me.

·
10,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I talked to a friend yesterday that just retired. He’s selling lots of his hunting and archery related stuff. I retired at 62, almost 17 years ago, and I’m now beginning to get rid of stuff I cant use anymore or don’t want to use anymore, some of it I had long forgotten that I actually had :rolleyes:😊.

·
8,129 Posts
Robert I been shooting the same splintered limbs on my 380 mad max for 6 years, I have no intentions of changing limbs when that bow will shoot under 3/4" at 50 yards all day long, far to many call minor blems failures,,,,,:rolleyes:
Funny … when I got back into archery after about a 40 year hiatus, I bought a Hoyt Xtec. Wasn't long before I came across a little "splinter" sticking out of one of the limb edges. Newbie ignorance, but not without some common sense. Figured this was a bad sign, but didn't look particularly alarming in a cataclysmic sort of way. Said to myself that it looks like a pointy needle that I'm going to have wind up in one of my fingers someday. So I took a fine file, cut it off and rounded the cut smooth. Blissfully shot that bow for years and never gave it another thought. :unsure: ;)

Reactions: wildcatter

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Funny … when I got back into archery after about a 40 year hiatus, I bought a Hoyt Xtec. Wasn't long before I came across a little "splinter" sticking out of one of the limb edges. Newbie ignorance, but not without some common sense. Figured this was a bad sign, but didn't look particularly alarming in a cataclysmic sort of way. Said to myself that it looks like a pointy needle that I'm going to have wind up in one of my fingers someday. So I took a fine file, cut it off and rounded the cut smooth. Blissfully shot that bow for years and never gave it another thought. :unsure: ;)
Yep same her Duke, I watched it faithfully fer about 1000 shots, after that I usually don't even think about it anymore till the subject pop's up! Nothing wrong with replacing them if ones not satisfied, but in my case, and after dozens of crossbows,, I just don't see how any limbs could make it shoot better, so why risk it, just enjoy it and find something else I can actually improve to spend my time on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I go back and forth - try to stay at 3.....next thing I know I have 6 and then is time to sell something and the cycle starts all over again.

·
4,373 Posts
A problem I come across is that a certain crossbow can become a keepsake, ie something we know so well, that brings back memories, that has comparatively little market value, that getting rid of it or never using it again just isn‘t a consideration. For me, its my Bulldog 400, Aculeus 460 and my original SWAT. So, as much as I prefer to only have 2 crossbows, there’ll be 4. Of course, that’ll include the SWAT XP.

·
10,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I’ll never sell my beloved Stryker 350. A beautifully designed crossbow that will be with me until I’m not here anymore.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts