Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get a good trail camera. One that can deliver good evening and night photos, one that can withstand weather challenges and interact with any computer for downloading.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
I have a few different ones, and they can all be dissapointing at one time or another, but honestly, the best cheap end camera that works after dark also I have is a Moultree & one sold under the brand name of Cabelas which is made by Moultree. I think it sells for $150.00.
The Moultrees aren't as reliable after dark at first it seems. They act like they need to be warmed up taking after dark pics. Go figure. Once they are up a while, they work taking oics after dark like they're supposed to.They take a chip that goes from the camera to the computer, or a cable but I don't use the cable. I just slip in, grab the chip, replace it with another and away I go.Chips are @ $20.00 anywhere. They take the big 9volt? Battery that lasts @ 3 weeks unless you have a few thousand pics sooner. Done that too by placing the camera, and then the brush blooming leaves and waving in front of the lense triggering it every few seconds for a whole week! Would you like to look at some of my pictures from different cameras? Make sure you buy one with 6 Megapixels is the best advice for purchasing a camera. I do like the Moultrees for the price.
There's other higher end ones, but I'd rather buy 3 for the price of one of the higher end cameras. Never know when they will grow legs and walk off.
The one with the black band at the bottom is a Moultree, The one with red imprinted lettering is a Cabelas. They're okay.
I can also attest that they don't always take pics of everything that walks in. I've sat at certain times hunting, and later, didn't see the animals on camera that I saw while sitting. Smaller animals. Maybe it's slower moving animals. They always take my picture! Darn things!

Attachments

·
2,834 Posts
I have the Moultrie I40 , color by day , BW at night, battery life is great, had mine out for 3 wks- 195 pics & still 94% battery life left, very nice camera..Make sure if you buy one off Ebay or internet that they are an authorized Moultrie dealer or your warranty will be void..

·
Administrator
6,085 Posts
The only camera that has consistently preformed for me is the Cuddeback. I admit, they aren't the cheapest, but they work great and really do have a fast trigger time. Reliability is huge for me. With much of my hunting ground over an hour and a half away, I can't afford to have a camera not working correctly or one with a short battery life. For what it cost me in gas to check them, they better work. I do have a new Stealthcam Prowler on the way. I hope it preforms well. If not, look for it in the classifieds. LOL.:)

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Urban Legend said:
The only camera that has consistently preformed for me is the Cuddeback. I admit, they aren't the cheapest, but they work great and really do have a fast trigger time. Reliability is huge for me. With much of my hunting ground over an hour and a half away, I can't afford to have a camera not working correctly or one with a short battery life. For what it cost me in gas to check them, they better work. I do have a new Stealthcam Prowler on the way. I hope it preforms well. If not, look for it in the classifieds. LOL.:)
Last time I shopped for a Cuddeback they were running @ $500.00. Are they still that expensive?
I don't have any problems with the triggering fast enough. just doesn't always take pics of racoons and opossums after dark. Small animals.They do trigger when I go retrieve my arrow and usually from my backside. Darn Cameras! How does the Cuddeback do with small animals? Do you know?
I have gift certificate to spend at Sportsmans Warehouse, and thinking of getting Butch another camera so he'll leave mine alone. So if you can let me know any details to actual performance, I'm interested. It's hard to know how each brand actually performs without actually using one for a few days. And nights.

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good camera.

Hey Guide Girl, Urban Legend, thanks for the information. I will most likely try the Cuddeback as it fits my budget much better. The hog pictures were excellent. I have never even seen a wild hog let alone hunted one. Well except for the wild boars that roam Germany, those suckers come through the military posts in droves and just rip the tar out of evrything, itlooked as if someone had used a rototiller on the grass. They were just lethal on the golf course in Ramstien.

Once again thanks for the information. I will send some pics if it works out

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
For photo surveys the more cameras the better. The $50 stealth cams from Walmart work great for this. If you want extreme detail like counting points on a buck or something like that forget those. Anything with a nice shutter speed and fast processor in the 4 megapixel or more range would be good. But for the price of some of the higher end cameras you could place 4-6 of the cheap ones.
The Moultrie cameras are well worth the money if you want detail and night perfomance.
In my opinion the best camera system on the market is the Buckeye Cam.
http://www.buckeyecam.com/main/
No I don't have any company interest in Buckeye Cam whatsoever. I don't own a Buckeye Cam. But if I could afford those systems there would be no choice to make.
Here are a few images with the cheap stealth cams:

Attachments

·
Banned
364 Posts
In my opinion the absolute best Game Camera is the Reconyx . I;ve used them for clandestine work during my career and can honestly say they are topnotch all the way!

http://www.reconyx.com/

They have total infrared models that takes fantastic pictures day and night, extremely fast shutter speed, no flash wat so ever to spoke game and very high definition. Battery life is great. They are pricey but , like everything else you get what you pay for. The RC55 is middle of the line works very well!

·
1,426 Posts
so what are the basic specs I need to look for in an inexpensive camera.. a couple of the 50 dollar cameras and a couple of the 150 dollar ones could work for me by hunting season. I guess I can look for some specs and compare, in case I cannot find the items you suggested exactly.

dk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts