Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
42 degrees in the garage was perfect!

65% venison 35% 70/30 ground beef. 4 super sweet onions , removed the cores, chopped fine and mixed with meat after coarse grind. Fine grind chops the onions mostly to mush which lets the onion mix in. 25 pounds of 1/3 pound burgers. Also, Hand mixing doesn’t take much time. Used two tubs. I sold my 25 pound meat mixer , it doesn’t fit the new grinder. Ain’t that the way

straight venison grind 26 pounds in 2 pound bags.

Attachments

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Next time I will mix venison and 70/30 ground beef at 50-50 ratio. The 65/35 is still pretty dry

· Registered
Excalibur Vortex 330, Centerpoint Sniper 370, Centerpoint Patriot 425
17,178 Posts
Over the years I have found a mixture of 28% beef fat to the deer meat makes it moist and my family likes it best this way. In the past Ive tried all kinds of ratios (including no fat at all) but this works best for us. I believe the local processors use between 15-20% beef fat. Ive also tried pork fat to the venison for burgers but from now on it's ALWAYS gonna be 28% beef fat for us. IF we want the bacon flavor then we'll add bacon to our burgers.:)

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Over the years I have found a mixture of 28% beef fat to the deer meat makes it moist and my family likes it best this way. In the past Ive tried all kinds of ratios (including no fat at all) but this works best for us. I believe the local processors use between 15-20% beef fat. Ive also tried pork fat to the venison for burgers but from now on it's ALWAYS gonna be 28% beef fat for us. IF we want the bacon flavor then we'll add bacon to our burgers.:)
Where do you buy your beef fat? Local butcher or processor ?

· Registered
Excalibur Vortex 330, Centerpoint Sniper 370, Centerpoint Patriot 425
17,178 Posts
A friend of mine is a processor for the public and he sells it to me at his cost.....$1 per pound. It's already ground with a larger plate. Pelletized is nice...alot better than getting fat from a grocer and having to cut it all up and having to double grind it with two different plates like I do the venison. So....I grind the venison once, mix in the weighed out amount of fat, change plates and grind the 2nd time. Then I vacuum seal in 1 & 1/4# packs.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ode1891 and Gwn001
1 - 12 of 12 Posts