Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a high quality single reticle (rifle) scope under $500? Option to add a jack plate.
Thank you!

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Works for me. You might be able to steal a used Swarovski Z3 3-9x36 for that $500 - make sure to get the 4A reticle. No illumination needed. Good luck.

DSCN2814.JPG
DSCN2821.JPG

Reactions: Rit and longbow42

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
I have a ZEISS Conquest 3-9x40 on my Muzzleloader. Great scope in low light.

Reactions: Rit and longbow42

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
And the Zeiss #20 reticle seems more like a heavy duplex compared to other scopes. It just stands out so nice.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Like I have previously stated, I contacted Swarovski about putting my Z3 3-9x 36 on my crossbow. They said to NOT do it...so I didn’t.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Like I have previously stated, I contacted Swarovski about putting my Z3 3-9x 36 on my crossbow. They said to NOT do it...so I didn’t.
Probably be a good idea to start buying your scopes from a company that makes more scopes and less shiny knick-knacks.

I have never been one to cheap out on glass. I put good scopes on rifles with 10 X the recoil of my crossbows. I put good scopes on shotguns which have even more recoil. But... That's why I buy scopes with lifetime warranties and customer service that backs that warranty. My wife likes Swarovski crystal and jewelry so every now and again I buy her something from them. And you know what? It seems that whenever I want I can buy a good scope like a Zeiss or S & B or a Meopta and I just don't ever have to explain my purchase.

I always have have looked at Swarovski as making better marital aids (Yes I intended that) than scopes, and so far it works for me.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
What was the reason - too much shock/recoil?

I know that air rifles require a stronger scope (albeit rather cheap ones) for a plunger gun.

It would be hard for me to believe a Swarovski wouldn’t hold up to the recoil of a crossbow but a $150 Made in China Hawke XB1 scope will.

I’ve had my Vortex XBR and Zeiss XB75 on crossbows for years with no issues. I would think my Swarovski will hold up just a s well. Both the Vortex and Zeiss are from rifle scope platforms as well with just different reticles.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
They did say that the recoil would be problematic. My wife was happy though… it ended up on her deer rifle! LOL

·
Registered
151 Posts
This crap about a crossbow or springer air gun destroying scopes is just plain nonsense! We've had semi auto rifles and shotguns that have much more weight in their action and bolts slamming forward and backward and nobody is peeing down their leg because you can't use one of those ugly A** humpy backed shotgun because that barrel slamming to and fro kills scopes. Get serious people!

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
They told me the same thing last year! Two different Reps told me the forward shock would mess up the internals. Said I could mount it on any gun made and no issues! So I didn't want to chance it!

Zeiss and Leupold both told me it was fine.....

·
Registered
14,066 Posts
They told me the same thing last year! Two different Reps told me the forward shock would mess up the internals. Said I could mount it on any gun made and no issues! So I didn't want to chance it!

Zeiss and Leupold both told me it was fine.....
Sounds to me like the folks you talked to are living in the past. I have always been told that any decent scope made in the 2000s are safe on crossbows. Heck they have a lifetime warranty so one of you guys that have one shoot it and see if it breaks.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Sounds to me like the folks you talked to are living in the past. I have always been told that any decent scope made in the 2000s are safe on crossbows. Heck they have a lifetime warranty so one of you guys that have one shoot it and see if it breaks.
The Rep I talked was my gunsmiths contact and I also called Swavorski directly. I thought it was odd in this day and age, but both told me the same thing. Said it would void the warranty and they they would know when they took it apart. I decided not to risk it myself! Plenty of quality scopes out there to shoot on a crossbow......

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have put hundreds (probably around 1000) of arrows down range with a Zeiss Dialyt 2-8x42, A Nikon Monarch Gold 2-10x50, a Meopta 1.5-6x42 and not a one of them even shifted zero once.

I have used Many different scope brands on Remington pump rifles, and when The slide and action comes forward when I put the first round into the chamber or when I cycle the action after a shot on game, there is a very substantial forward pules that is likely sharper than the shot when my shoulder absorbs and slows that recoil pulse.

I have mounted them on 870 pumps for shooting slugs and there is a huge resoil back pulse and then another forward pulse when that slide and bolt slam home loading the gun again.

I have seen scopes mounted on A-5/Model 11 shotguns where all that weight in Barrel does the same two step and doubles those pulses.

I have never seen one of those guns destroy scopes. The vast majority of scope I have seen fail were on bolt action rifles..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts