Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Are they the same as our western red squirrels. They sure look like them, but no one shoots them out here.

·
Registered
684 Posts
What we call a "red squirrel" in my area is also known as a pine squirrel, they are smaller than a grey squirrel and not much bigger than a chipmunk. No one eats them, but they have a lot of bad qualities, they destructive around buildings, and shot whenever possible. A fox squirrel, on the other hand, is larger than a grey squirrel. They are less common in many places, and a bit of a prize for squirrel hunters here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have fox and grey squirrels ( we call them cat squirrels)in the area I live in Louisiana. Some areas will strictly be fox and vice versa. Sometimes on one side of the river there will be nothing but cat squirrels and on the other side nothing but fox. Its crazy

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
The squirrel nemesis at my house are flying squirrels. Bat rastids. I trap the gray's, but the flyers are tougher.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Congrats on a nice mess of squirrels. Love me some young tender grays fried up like chicken, probably my favorite game animal for eating.

Pretty even mix of fox & grays here in central MO and you'll find them pretty much in the same places. Some years the grays are no where to be found and then suddenly the woods are full of them. Can't explain why they are nonexistent then overnight seemingly everywhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts