Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My two oldest grandsons want to go hunting. The problem is they are very young. One is 5 and one is 3. Their Dad doesn't hunt and frowns on guns in general but he did say it was ok if I introduce them to hunting. What would you all suggest would be the best way to get them going?

I'm thinking squirrel season would be a good bet even through the 5 year old told me he wants to go hog hunting!! For some reason he is obsessed with shooting a hog. He kept all the pictures of the hogs I have killed here in Oklahoma.

Bill

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I think waterfowl hunts are great for kids!! My girls loved it! Lots of action, noise, smoke'n 12 gauge, chuck'n empty shells, crash'n birds and feathers!!!! What isn't to like!!? lol
Don't forget the hot chocolate and snacks though!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Gotta start slow. My boy is 10yo, and has come so far already. Expect to have short duration hunts. Gotta have fun, fair weather, stay occupied. A warm sunny walk for squirrels or mushrooms is always fun. A deer blind is good, a comic book, magazine, etc. Yes to snacks and cocoa. Got be enjoyable. I wouldnt take out in prime time if you are seriously hunting. Seems like magic time is when they always want to go. Lol. You will have fun with them. Good luck.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I hunt in ground blinds with my grandson's and let them take their toys and electronics so they can still have fun while you hunt. Like others have said you have to make it fun because their attention span is so short and realize it's going to be hard for them to sit still and be quiet.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Squirrel hunting is a great way to introduce them. I like to take em turkey hunting also. They do get bored fast unless there's lots of wildlife to see. Our 7 year old grandson has a lot to talk about which makes it tough.

Got in the blind and set up yesterday afternoon with him for his first deer hunt. 1/2hr later the first deer shows up. A good buck at that. He couldn't get a shot with the crossbow because the buck didn't stand still long enough but he sure was excited. As the buck walked off all I could think of was you sure are a lucky deer because pop pop would have had an arrow in ya.

If deer hunting I suggest setting up on a field or where they feed. It's tough for a youngster to get on them. They need time. You don't want them to be disappointed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts