Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Ten Point Titan M1
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used to be a tree stand guy, got old, fatter and even uglier, shifted to ground blinds.
My old Ameristep is mouse chewed, rods poking through the ends and a general PIA to set up, one more season.
Looking for suggestions.

·
Registered
Excalibur Exomax
534 Posts
I have used the Ameristep Doghouse blind for many years. Has held up well.
Bill

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Used to be a tree stand guy, got old, fatter and even uglier, shifted to ground blinds.
My old Ameristep is mouse chewed, rods poking through the ends and a general PIA to set up, one more season.
Looking for suggestions.
How much you wanna spend? Generally "you" get what you pay for. I personally like and use the higher end blinds. They are made with 600D fabric, have better hub systems and tend to last longer if you take care of them. Ive got 5-6 blinds and they stay in the woods 24/7 365 and they are still in great shape.

Rhino, Browning, Primos are a few of what I have

·
Registered
Barnett Stalker 405
37 Posts
I too have used the Ameristep Doghouse blind for years. Last year I switched to a Rhino-75 it has more room inside and I now use a Caldwell Dead Shot tripod.
The Ameristep was nice it was just to cramped in there with the tripod and all my gear.

·
Registered
Ten Point Titan M1
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much you wanna spend? Generally "you" get what you pay for. I personally like and use the higher end blinds. They are made with 600D fabric, have better hub systems and tend to last longer if you take care of them. Ive got 5-6 blinds and they stay in the woods 24/7 365 and they are still in great shape.

Rhino, Browning, Primos are a few of what I have
Agreed. Had a new blind snitched from behind the house, a nice one.
Getting back into hunting, with crossbows the season is warmer.
Actually would prefer a fixed structure with a heater for the rut.

·
12,620 Posts
Paint ... your initials or name in huge letters on the blind's 4 sides. Deer don't care and it dissuades all but the most ardent thieves. Aside from that, the cheapos last a couple years and you're not on suicide watch if they get stolen. I must admit though, the better blinds are really nice.

Reactions: Oldtoad

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't use a blind. I look for a tree that I can lean against with something that I can sit my bipod on. Than sit stillish. I even smoke never seemed to bother.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Once you hunt in a "surround view" blind, you'll never hunt in another. Primos, Rhino and Bolderton make them. I have a Rhino and Bolderton and like the Bolderton best, but Primos is Primo but cost the most..

·
Registered
Excalibur Exomax
534 Posts
There are considerations you must think about, i.e. are you going to pack it in, is it on private or public land, crossbow width, how much extra gear do you want to pack in and how much do you want to spend.

I used mine on public land with no issues because I hunt from dark to dark and pack it out when I am done hunting. I use an older wide limb Excalibur crossbow and found the Doghouse blind to be suitable for its use. Just had to watch the limb tips if shooting an angle shot. Have killed many deer with that set up.

The Ameristep chair blinds are good to, I use a two man one and really like the extra room for gear storage in the empty seat. It eliminates the need to carry in a chair since it is built in. I have used it with my wide limb crossbow but is only suitable for a straight ahead shot. It limits your shooting area with wider crossbows.

I suggest visiting a sporting goods store that have different models set up. Climb in and see if it suits you.

What ever you get waterproof it before every season.

Bill

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I'm using a Game Winner Stealth View from Academy. It's roomy enough for two, has the stealth view (one way) windows and costs $150. This is my first year using it but so far I like it. I like a blind large enough for my Bog Deathgrip tripod and all my other gear. It's just so much more comfortable hunting out of a larger blind. This blind fits the bill.

Reactions: Iron Duke

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
check out Lucky Blinds. they do custom too. not cheap but I like em

·
12,620 Posts
I've used ... one of these when mentoring Wounded Warriors at one of those big money gun clubs. The things are the bee's knees. (y)
Plant Sky Natural landscape Tree Wood

·
Registered
Centerpoint Sniper 370
113 Posts
I'm going to be trying my Ameristep one man chair blind. I set it up in the garage and sat in it with my crossbow. It's a little cramped for more than a 12 o'clock shot but it's doable. Would work better with a more narrow crossbow. But it should keep me dry at least. I'll probably use it for rainy/cold days when I wouldn't hunt otherwise.

·
3,226 Posts
I bought 2 Rhino 150 blinds last year so far they have been a pretty good cheap blinds. I like the quiet doors windows are pretty nice very usable at least the large main window. Plenty of room to get back in the dark and still see a fair amount shootable area. Pretty easy to unpop and take down but doing them as you would a Double Bull is easier imo.

Biggest faults so far The interior black is wearing off and you can see the camo not bad yet but wearing off. And the smaller windows what in the world were they thinking. They need to fall down when there opened. Theres are hinged at the top so they hang down. I had to rig something up (tie down rope) to hold them up/open. There fine now but c'mon man.
Year 2 and there still on the job.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you are Ot, as far as reasons why I came to the ground this year, I use a Rhino 100, it was on sale at Sportsmanswarehouse for like $99 when I bought it, set it up in the yard and shot the crossbow and vert out of it, it does take some getting used to... the shoot through mesh is a no go , for me anyway, it changes POI.
It's a cheaper blind but works well enough, I removed the mesh and replaced with camo burlap with velcro on just the bottom and I tuck in behind the support bar and remove it when getting ready to shoot.
So far took a 9 pt with my vert , but I'm sure there is more to come with the crossbow. Here is a link to the video below that shows lowering the burlap.

Plant Vertebrate Terrestrial plant Mammal Grass

1 - 20 of 36 Posts