Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As stated in an earlier discussion, I’m new to deer hunting, including crossbow and rifle. As an older hunter (71), with a hip replacement, I’m not interested in sitting in a tree stand and potentially falling that might require a trip to surgery and a difficult hip revision. So, I bought a portable ground blind in hopes of being safe and getting lucky this, my second hunting season. What I need to know is, when should I set up my blind on my private property. The season here in Wisconsin starts September 12 this year. Right now I’m looking at setting it up a week ahead of the start of the season since I’ll be gone until then. Will this work? I plan to blend it in with its surroundings but need to know if I’m jeopardizing my success by placing it so close to the season opening when I plan to start hunting. Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It'll be okay....the sooner the better. Set it up at home and open the shooting windows and let it air out for a couple of days before taking it to your spot. Those things pack a little manufacturing stink when you open them up first time.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The sooner you can put it
out, it gives the wildlife time to get used to seeing it. Brush it in some as best you can.
Blinds are nice to have, especially in crappy weather.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Won’t hurt at all to put it out a week before. I’ve sat them out same day and blended them in with no issue at all. Even easier if you know your deers travel patterns and can place it in an area where when they do see it, well it’s too late.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Get any new blind out in the air now and let the new smell clear out if possible. I'd also spray the heck out of it inside and out with a scent treatment. When you do place it make sure you stake it down well. The stakes you blind comes with may be a little wimpy so make your own or buy some big tent stakes.

These are from Primos and they are great.

If it's a hub style blind, tie it off on the sides to help it stay stable on windy days.

X2 on brushing it in to help it blend. If you have bug issues you might spray the base edges, roof corners, door and windows with Permethrin.

Get a good swivel hunting chair with arm rests so your sits will be comfortable. I spend 14 hours in my blinds some days and a chair can be the make or break in doing that quietly and comfortably.

Hawk Big Denali is the biggest and most comfortable I've found. It's not foldable but it's worth getting it to your blind and having it there all season

This is an Alps Stealth Hunter and it's smaller but it's foldable and easy to pack into an ATV.

Also a good tripod is key and you should set it all up in your blind before it goes to the field so you can figure out what goes where and what windows you will use.

Good luck this fall!

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
276 Posts
ASAP - give the deer as much time to start thinking of it as just part of the scenery, as possible. They won't like it the 1st time they see it; or the 2nd or 3rd etc. But at some point they realize that it probably won't kill them, so it's ok.

Yes, brush it in as well as you can.

I hunted out of one for the first time last year & enjoyed it. So nice to be setting in a nice chair on the ground. It did make me better understand how nice a narrow crossbow might be (since I don't have one).

I would recommend a tripod or some kind of shooing sticks. I was able to rest my bow on these & have it always up & ready.

Last year we had ours up at least a month (probably more) before season and by hunting time deer were ignoring it. It got hunted several times with many shot opportunities.

One of my last hunts though was late in the season and the deer were pretty weary. We had normally left the blind windows closed - and this was the view the deer were used to. I had a couple does start my way and as soon as they saw that the blind windows didn't look the same as before, they were out of there.

Not sure what the answer is to that other than maybe leaving the windows open all the time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get any new blind out in the air now and let the new smell clear out if possible. I'd also spray the heck out of it inside and out with a scent treatment. When you do place it make sure you stake it down well. The stakes you blind comes with may be a little wimpy so make your own or buy some big tent stakes.

View attachment 183237

If it's a hub style blind, tie it off on the sides to help it stay stable on windy days.

X2 on brushing it in to help it blend. If you have bug issues you might spray the base edges, roof corners, door and windows with Permethrin.

Get a good swivel hunting chair with arm rests so your sits will be comfortable. I spend 14 hours in my blinds some days and a chair can be the make or break in doing that quietly and comfortably.

Hawk Big Denali is the biggest and most comfortable I've found. It's not foldable but it's worth getting it to your blind and having it there all season
View attachment 183235

This is an Alps Stealth Hunter and it's smaller but it's foldable and easy to pack into an ATV.
View attachment 183236

Also a good tripod is key and you should set it all up in your blind before it goes to the field so you can figure out what goes where and what windows you will use.

Good luck this fall!
Good advice. Appreciate your input.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

View attachment 183237

View attachment 183235

View attachment 183236

Good luck this fall!
Excellent advice. Appreciate it very much.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The whiteys I hunt wouldn't walk near my blind for three weeks after I put the stink'n thing out!! I know because there was snow on the ground, and my trail cam never lies! lol
IMHO; Wash it down with baking soda or something like that, and stick it out there asap.
After a month or so though, they were next thing to piss'n on it!!! And I think some wanted to take up res. in it!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The whiteys I hunt wouldn't walk near my blind for three weeks after I put the stink'n thing out!! I know because there was snow on the ground, and my trail cam never lies! lol
IMHO; Wash it down with baking soda or something like that, and stick it out there asap.
After a month or so though, they were next thing to piss'n on it!!! And I think some wanted to take up res. in it!!!
You know, I put up trail cameras and the deer are all over them. They walk up to them, sniff them, eye them and just really are interested in what the heck invaded their territory. I can only imagine what they’ll think with a big honking ground blind, even if I do use scent killer and try to blend it in. My property is pretty remote, surrounded by thick forested county land and hasn’t been hunted forever, so the deer seem to be very skittish about any noise or any change in their area. I suppose I could try still hunting like I did last year, but I’m sure all the noise I made and my clothes odors (despite spraying with scent killer) did me in, though a black bear did get within 50 yards before smelling me, huffing and quickly exiting the area (scared the crap out of me, I must say).

·
Registered
370 Posts
I build them from down trees and branches. The deer will walk right up with the right wind.
Set it up now and brush it in.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you put it up at least 1 week before you plan to hunt in it, you will be fine. I have had a lot of luck hunting out of a blind. The deer see it but they get used to it. One thing, make sure you keep the window that you are going to hunt out of down. The deer really notice if you zip the windows up every time you leave.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts