Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many here just hunt from the ground? I've been going more that direction for the last few years. I took a fall out of a tree about 5 years ago and that made me kind of weary of heights. I still hunt the occasional box stand and will climb a tree if I can't get around it. Just wanting to here some success stories from the ones that stay on the ground.

·
Registered
432 Posts
How many here just hunt from the ground? I've been going more that direction for the last few years. I took a fall out of a tree about 5 years ago and that made me kind of weary of heights. I still hunt the occasional box stand and will climb a tree if I can't get around it. Just wanting to here some success stories from the ones that stay on the ground.
I have hunted all my life mostly out west and Alaska ,Canada almost all spot and stalk. I have a Grand Slam ,have killed state Records and World records for example I've taken 20 something bull elk all archery and I have never been in a stand tree or otherwise. I have used a double Bull ground blind on occasion. I've taken 9 antelope all spot and stalk. It depends on where you hunt.

·
Registered
878 Posts
When possible, I hunt from elevation, and always with appropriate safety harnesses (always). But I also have a couple of pop-up blinds that I use on occasion, but more often when on ground, I carry a 3-legged seat or a seat that I can strap to a tree, and try to blend in.

I rarely stalk deer, except to move from one spot to another. Now with a rifle, I may do a little more stalking, but again, usually just to go from A to B.

·
advanced member
1,678 Posts
I have hunted mostly tree stands but some ground blinds. I am hunting in my old age more and more from the ground. Elevated gives you a great view but ground gives you up close eye to eye. Love them both.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I'll do whatever the situation calls for, tree stands, ground blind, wooden (fancy) blind, sticks and grass blinds....... BUT, my favorite are lofty vantage points for glassing great distances!!!!

·
205 Posts
Better question would be how many hunt on the ground out east. I have hunted the west since early 80's and never been off the ground. Out east for whitetails 90% in a tree. That being said I have ground hunted out of a blind a lot more the last 4 or 5 years.

·
Registered
2017 Sliverado
229 Posts
I'm in the same position from a fall like you but my outcome hasn't been good (5 surgeries so far). All of my spots you can barely get a 50 yards shot from a stand and less on the ground and it sucks. My wife threatens to finish me off of I even mention climbing again but my chances of killing big deer where I hunt is going to be lower (in my mind atleast). You can hide alot of scent mistakes 25-30 ft up so I'm having to be very careful with my scent control. No more watching 3 ridges from my usual tree during rifle season but you got to adapt and overcome or give it up completely and I don't see that happening

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I'm in the same position from a fall like you but my outcome hasn't been good (5 surgeries so far). All of my spots you can barely get a 50 yards shot from a stand and less on the ground and it sucks. My wife threatens to finish me off of I even mention climbing again but my chances of killing big deer where I hunt is going to be lower (in my mind atleast). You can hide alot of scent mistakes 25-30 ft up so I'm having to be very careful with my scent control. No more watching 3 ridges from my usual tree during rifle season but you got to adapt and overcome or give it up completely and I don't see that happening
Sorry to hear ya hurt yourself that bad,,, must be tough.....

·
Registered
248 Posts
Here in Scotland it is mainly stalking there are high seats but I have never really used one or a blind. I have a rhino blind but I cant sit still long enough and end up leaving the blind and go stalking far easier and scent control here is virtually unheard of but we use rifles only. We don't have an archery season you can shoot roe deer all year long I think October/Nivember to march/April is the doe season and the rest is buck season

·
Registered
17 Posts
I hunt from a ground blind only and have shot many of deer over the years. Set it out early and brush it in a little bit.
Good Luck

·
570 Posts
Where I hunt hunting from the ground would be a problem with all of the ground cover but as I get older I’m playing around with it the last few years. My only set ups are on hillsides and finding a good seating for that situation is a problem, maybe a treeseat.

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
I have been giving some thought about sitting on the ground also. I still climb and will as long as I am capable but I will be 71 in Dec. and realize that it is coming one day. I am thinking about either carrying in the top portion of my stand to hook onto a tree so I can still have a comfortable seat or buying a strap on seat for trees. Put up a small screen of camo netting or sit behind some brush and be good to go and you can move around easily if the wind does a 180 on you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I sat in a bag chair this morning wearing my leafy poncho. Had 1 small buck at 40 yards and another at 35. Neither knew I was there. I try to hunt the wind and be still and have all sorts of animals close.

·
2,900 Posts
I usually hunt from a tree stand but scouting last Tuesday left me no time for a move, so Wednesday morning I took a doe while sitting on a patio chair. ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've killed deer from a tree and a ground blind. Last few years I've been using a ground blind. Get it out there early and brush it in. I find it exhilarating to be near deer so upclose. Wear all black when inside and near the back of the blind.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
And don't leave the back w
I've killed deer from a tree and a ground blind. Last few years I've been using a ground blind. Get it out there early and brush it in. I find it exhilarating to be near deer so upclose. Wear all black when inside and near the back of the blind.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Windows open and have them zipped tight shut or you will be back lit

1 - 20 of 23 Posts