Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
11,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll set it up today (install quiver, sight, silencers, etc.) and start testing and comparing:) I love shooting new crossbows that I've never shot before (fanatic:) I'm basically going to test it against my Pro slider and Excalibur Vortex for feel, recoil, speed, accuracy and try to get an overall opinion how it stacks up as a hunting crossbow against those.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I shot the Flex a couple times at a local bow shop all i can say is SWEET , light alittle quiter than my Profusion , but believe it or not the recoil felt like it was alittle more ! ....CXB

·
11,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Initial thoughts

Bow set on 175 lb. setting:

It's quite loud with a lot of metal "ringing" sound coming from the foot stirrup. I can tap the but stock and the stirrup rings like a bell :-( I have a fix for that.

The trigger needs some work (I'm a trigger nut).

There is substantial forward recoil as compared to my Excal Vortex. Limb tips are quite large and have more recurve in the tips than Excals. IMHO, this may hurt speed.

The bowstring is almost 1/4" off the barrel deck. It does not touch the deck even at full cocked position. It obviously does not effect accuracy but just looks.......................different:eek: Should be good for serving life.

Speed with a 401 grain GT arrow is 286. I was hoping for more.

I have quite a bit of work to do on this bow. I'll post results later.

Attachments

·
1,689 Posts
I got mine in the mail today. :) I had to shoot it of course as soon as possible so I put it together right away. It was simple and obviously well made. It is pretty noisy (this is going to keep me busy trying to suppress the noise). There are quite a few sharp corners and edges (I have do some thing with this!). The hight of the comb is too high for the pin and peep. Over all it is a very accessible bow dollar wise and feels well made and put together. It has possibilities. Crappy string! LOL!

·
11,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is ONE thing

I saw no need to tweak:D (string)

·
1,689 Posts
I had a bit of time today so I started on the Flex. I filled the upper rail with silicone, filled the void in the stirrup with silicone, put an Excal STS on the riser(not a bad fit), filled the void in the fore grip and served on some cat whiskers. I like the bow now! It has a minor ring to it, that I a sure can be gotten rid of. I hadn't considered it but this bow might be pretty good for stalking! It wasn't a lot of work either. My wife said "Wow!" when she heard me shoot it.
Again, for the money, this is a good neat bow.

·
11,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dropped the draw weight down to 150 lbs today

Hey, I like it and it's quite a bit quieter. Now my problem is to find a 3 dot reflex sight that will give me some distances that make sense. Using GT Lazer II's with 125 grain points (I'm actually trying to keep arrow weight heavy to further reduce noise). This will be a stump shooting and very close range hunting crossbow so I don't need blazing speed nor do I want it for this bow. I put a BT 3 dot on it that's designed for 20/40/60 yards on their 400 fps Stryker. I will chrono it tomorrow but I expect arrow speed to be down around 220 fps with this bow. I can get 15/25/30 yard sight-in with the above reflex sight. I'm going to try a TP 30mm reflex 3 dot tomorrow and see what distances I can get using that sight. I have a Truglo 4 dot holo coming with 4 different dot spacings. It will be cool if I can get that sight to give me 20/30/40/50 but that's like asking for a miracle:eek:

·
45 Posts
boo can you post a few picture of the thangs you did to your flex??/ got a gt curve and she is loud ... dave put simms on it the limbs thanks WORM:):rolleyes::eek:

·
11,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I put expandable foam in the barrel

IMHO it was wasted time. Still quite loud. Put 3 layers of stretchy rubber tape over foot stirrup. Helped quite a bit. I let a friend of mine shoot it in a 3D tournament today and it's quite loud compared to my Pro Slider and I've run out of options to quieten it. Bottom line is it's a loud recurve crossbow but it's a shooter for sure and light weight. I still like it:)

·
11,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I meant 125 lbs :)

The bow is not as pleasant to shoot as my Pro Slider, which is one of my all time favorites set on 150 lb draw. The PS is sweet, short, light weight, quiet, very little recoil and no barrel flex set on 150 lb. draw. Couldn't ask for a nicer little all around woodland hunting crossbow. I did have to cut 1/2 inch off the top of the butt stock and tweak the trigger but I've only seen one crossbow that absolutely needs no trigger improvement.

Back to the GT Flex, I think it's a keeper but I'd like to see TP do some serious sound deadening engineering on it. NOt to be too picky but I also think they can remove some weight off the limb tips (compared to an Excal limb). It's easy to sit back and nit pick a crossbow's design I guess:eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts