Crossbow Nation banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
11,688 Posts
That hits home. I lost one of my best friends and hunting buddy because of smoking. He got small cell lung cancer and they pretty much beat it up but the stuff went to his brain and a short time later GAME OVER. Most folks that smoke all say the same thing, it can't happen to me but it does. Everyone is different but years ago when butts were made of real tobacco I guess you could get away with puffing every day. Once big money got involved and unnatural things were placed as fillers with the tobacco bad things started to happen. The price alone should tell most to stay away.
Yeah ... forgot about the price. I think they were like 25¢ a pack back when I was a kid. Now you see them over $10.00 in some places around here! Lord, the guys used to smoke about a pack per day. That'd be $3,650.00 a year! That's a free new crossbow every year these days...lol :p ;)

·
11,688 Posts
I started smoking at around 17 (they were 27 cents a pack then) and with the Lord's help, managed to quit at 30. I tried many times before, even quitting once for 2 years, then stupidly went back to smoking. BOTHERED ME EVERY DAY. Most can't comprehend what a powerful addiction smoking (at least for me) is, and as Running Buck pointed out, are in denial about what its final cost is.
When I was a kid, I observed that an awful lot of people 45 - 65 were dropping like flies, but never connected the dots back then that they were smokers.
I dated ... a Mensa journalist for about a year. Vegetarian, smart eater, took good care of herself. We were out one time and somebody was smoking and they struck up an amicable conversation. Turns out my Sheila had smoked at one time and had quit like 17 years before. During that conversation she said that she thinks about smoking every day of her life. Extremely smart, wealthy, health conscious woman; addiction to nicotine so strong that it's part of every day of her life.

Another Sheila I dated discovered her son having a drug addiction. During one of the lectures we attended it came out that nicotine is THE most addictive drug on the market. Only 5-7% of drug addicts on hard core drugs ever kick the habit. Out of those, almost none can kick their additional addiction to nicotine. If you administered all the nicotine in one pack of cigarettes at once it would be fatal. Bad stuff. Once science identified the terrible danger and the industry continued addicting additional victims? Each and every officer, manager, director and administrator in the tobacco industry should have been tried and treated like a Nazi death camp participant! To this day they still get away with it. I mean really, they use the stuff for an insecticide!

·
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I couldn't quit. Tried everything. Finally, I prayed with the tears flowing and asked God to make me so sick, it would prevent me from smoking anymore. Sunday morning was going to prepare to go to church. Walked 10 feet and couldn't breath. Wife took me to ER. They gave me 1 hour of Albuterol inhalers. Nothing. Then the nurse came in with steroid shot. Had that before. Makes you feel like your 25 again. Nothing. If that shot worked, I would have lit one up when I got home. HE kept me sick. My prayer was answered on Sept 16, 2016.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Ive been quit close to 20 years. Outside of coming to the saving knowledge in the Lord Jesus Christ its the best thing I've ever done.

·
11,688 Posts
I couldn't quit. Tried everything. Finally, I prayed with the tears flowing and asked God to make me so sick, it would prevent me from smoking anymore. Sunday morning was going to prepare to go to church. Walked 10 feet and couldn't breath. Wife took me to ER. They gave me 1 hour of Albuterol inhalers. Nothing. Then the nurse came in with steroid shot. Had that before. Makes you feel like your 25 again. Nothing. If that shot worked, I would have lit one up when I got home. HE kept me sick. My prayer was answered on Sept 16, 2016.
I was ... running work on a big job for NY City putting up Sunset Park High School in Brooklyn. Dealt with "Gus" the head city inspector every day. The NYC School Construction Authority has inspectors up the arse on a job. So Gus is a heavy smoker. One of those guys who buys off Indian reservations, untaxed outlaw cigarettes', wherever he can save money because he smokes so much. Nice guy. I gave him a pretty little 6 point skull & rack I had around because he wanted one for his kid. Kid loved it. He winds up in the hospital for some smoking related major operation. Gets back to work, goes back to smoking like a chimney! He was dead in 3 months. What a shame. My lasting memory is how happy I made him with that rack.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
My dad was a 2 pack a day smoker and had a major heart attack at 42, I was 11 at the time. All of his family in his generation except his brother were smokers and all had heart attacks before age 50 except once again his brother. Most died, my dad survived. This was early '70s and a lot of the health issues were just coming out about smoking. Thankfully I never started but I did take up chewing when I was 16.
Chewed 34 years, quitting was maybe the hardest thing I've ever done. Been tobacco free for 8 years and seldom ever think about it anymore but for 2-3 years I constantly had to fight to keep from taking it back up.
Money is what finally drove me to stop, it just got so expensive and my employer was implementing an insurance surcharge on tobacco users on top of the already obscene cost. In hindsight I'm happy they did or I may never have quit.
To all who have quit, congratulations. If you're still using tobacco, please stop. It isn't easy but it is definitely worth the struggle. Might even save your life.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I started smoking at around 17 (they were 27 cents a pack then) and with the Lord's help, managed to quit at 30. I tried many times before, even quitting once for 2 years, then stupidly went back to smoking. BOTHERED ME EVERY DAY. Most can't comprehend what a powerful addiction smoking (at least for me) is, and as Running Buck pointed out, are in denial about what its final cost is.
When I was a kid, I observed that an awful lot of people 45 - 65 were dropping like flies, but never connected the dots back then that they were smokers.
I find the hardest thing is convenience stores. You can not check out without staring at the smokes behind the register.
Thats why they put them there and thats why the beer is next to the soda.
Got to keep the addicted aware of the products.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
@OLDFLYER
So whatever hospital you went to, they gave your lung to you and you had it in the freezer, (post #1), and you were going to have it for dinner?????? Remind me to be cautious if I ever stop by for a cookout at your house!!!! 🤣 Glad to see you are doing better and even kept your sense of humor. 👍

Reactions: OLDFLYER

·
Registered
14,350 Posts
I smoked for 35+ years and am fixing to turn 65. I quit smoking about 12 years ago. I can only HOPE that kind damage never shows up in me.

·
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
I smoked for 35+ years and am fixing to turn 65. I quit smoking about 12 years ago. I can only HOPE that kind damage never shows up in me.
I hope so too my friend. If you can do a lot physical work without getting out of breath rapidly, more than likely you can be ok. Won't hurt to get a chest CT Scan.

·
11,688 Posts

Reactions: Moon and OLDFLYER

·
Registered
14,350 Posts
I hope so too my friend. If you can do a lot physical work without getting out of breath rapidly, more than likely you can be ok. Won't hurt to get a chest CT Scan.
Overweight, diabetes, and short on breath....I dont fit into that category.:(

Reactions: OLDFLYER

·
Registered
Baltimore, MD - Ten Point Viper S400
751 Posts
I started smoking at around 17 (they were 27 cents a pack then) and with the Lord's help, managed to quit at 30. I tried many times before, even quitting once for 2 years, then stupidly went back to smoking. BOTHERED ME EVERY DAY.
That is just about the same for me! Someone here also pointed out how it affects everyone differently - I was hacking, coughing, and spitting up mucus every mourning. I thought, what am I going to be like 5 - 10 years from now. It also drove me crazy when I would cough and spit in the woods! Grace/Power of God - I quit! For those non-believers, you wouldn't understand and that's OK. We all have choices until death. Just hope no one goes through life making choices with thought! Good "luck" quitting to those trying! HAVE A GREAT TO ALL!

·
2,259 Posts
I started smoking at 12 years old stealing my dads Lucky Strikes. By the time I was 20 I was a two-pack-a-day smoker. At 30 till fifty it was 3 packs a day except for the days In a bar, then it was 4 packs. My car wouldn't start without a cigarette. I couldn't answer the phone without a cigarette. I would literally wake 2x during the night to take a leak and have a smoke. I honestly never met a person that smoked more than me. I quit smoking so many times I quit trying to quit. Then a guy made a $3500 bet with me. He would give me a bear hunt if I didn't have a single cigarette for the 2 weeks in bear camp. I killed a huge bear and didn't have a cigarette since that trip. 19 years later I am still smoke-free.
I can't imagine that habit with today's cost, but more importantly, I can't believe how much people had to put up with when I smoked. It smells like someone burning dog crap to me today. Beating smoking was the absolute hardest thing I have ever done, but if I could do it anybody can. It's a total waste of money and health.:sick:

·
11,688 Posts
I started smoking at 12 years old stealing my dads Lucky Strikes. By the time I was 20 I was a two-pack-a-day smoker. At 30 till fifty it was 3 packs a day except for the days In a bar, then it was 4 packs. My car wouldn't start without a cigarette. I couldn't answer the phone without a cigarette. I would literally wake 2x during the night to take a leak and have a smoke. I honestly never met a person that smoked more than me. I quit smoking so many times I quit trying to quit. Then a guy made a $3500 bet with me. He would give me a bear hunt if I didn't have a single cigarette for the 2 weeks in bear camp. I killed a huge bear and didn't have a cigarette since that trip. 19 years later I am still smoke-free.
I can't imagine that habit with today's cost, but more importantly, I can't believe how much people had to put up with when I smoked. It smells like someone burning dog crap to me today. Beating smoking was the absolute hardest thing I have ever done, but if I could do it anybody can. It's a total waste of money and health.:sick:
My mother ... was a smoker. You ever have one of those defining moments? We were visiting someone in a hospital back when the no smoking stuff just had begun and was taking hold. We were heading to an elevator and she was met with a "No Smoking" sign. She went into an Irish general admonishment about infringing on her. Like the hospital or the administration were control freak abolitionist despots. I said to her: "Mom, it's a hospital for crying out loud!" At that moment I realized how unhinged cigarettes, or denying cigarettes, can make otherwise good people.

I totally agree with you on the repulsive smell of it nowadays. The guys in the neighborhood all smoked. The bars were so thick with smoke every Friday night looked like an episode of "The Munsters" or "Adam's Family" TV shows. My Sheila used to come home from the office and her lovely auburn hair stunk like cigarettes'. Your clothes all stunk of smoke, and I didn't even smoke! Yet, with all that I never really found it as repulsive as since they banned it. Nowadays I can smell someone smoking in a car driving down the road...lol

·
11,688 Posts
I am just so grateful to God that he has blessed me with several more years of life. I know I am not finished with the work HE has planned for me. 🙏 For the record, this is the 5th time HE has kept me alive.
Lucky ... for us and the people around you. (y) ;)

·
11,688 Posts
41 - 60 of 65 Posts