Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watch like Lone Star law and the Lousiana Game Warden show on TV.
My question is all the deer(seen 100's of deer picture from those shows) shot and even loaded on a vechile are never gutted > That blows me away. Here In Minnesota 100% of the people gut the deer at kill site to cool faster and prevent contamination of meat.

Is what I see on TV the norm for down south or don't they want to show gutted deer. I would think a non gutted deer down south with warmer temps would bloat real fast and spoil your meat. What's going on down there?

·
13,375 Posts
Some ... Deer Management Programs require gutting at a central location out of sensitive eyes. It's also easier and cleaner in cases where there's power, light and running water available.

·
Administrator
TP Nitro 505, Vapor 470, Siege, Sub 1 XR, Wrath 430
1,974 Posts
Dale,

Not to put too fine a point on it, but.....they are TV SHOWS, my friend!
I would use caution before judging an entire region of hunters by what you see on the boob-tube! :ROFLMAO:
All of the guys my father hunts with and I hunt with In SC do this so it’s not just on YouTube.The butcher is right down the street and they do all use UTVs tho. But I have never seen it before hunting down there.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some ... Deer Management Programs require gutting at a central location out of sensitive eyes. It's also easier and cleaner in cases where there's power, light and running water available.
The question is what is the lag time from shooting a animal and gutting and throwing a deer on a ATV or dragging is sure to mix the innards with parts of the eatable meat area>. Some people it must be hours with no cooling down and guts sometimes seeping into the meat.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yes, that is why I am asking, does this really happen?
Dale,

Yes, it does occasionally occur that hunters take their deer straight from the kill-site to a deer processor....particularly if:

1) They watch the deer drop and/or recover the deer within just a few minutes of the shot.
2) Temps are fairly cool.
3) The deer-processing location is only a very short drive from the kill-site.
4) Light is rapidly failing and darkness has...or is about to...set in.
5) Other special circumstances may exist that makes gutting at the kill-site less than desirable.

Personally, I typically gut at the kill-site. I live in Texas. Most of us do that in the State.
We can also use corn or other bait in Texas when hunting deer...and vast majority do so.

However, I would be very careful not to let this thread become a "we are better/more ethical hunters than them" thread.
Going down that path will get you nothing but grief on any hunting forum, my friend.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
In NE Arkansas myself and most I know field dress the deer before transporting.
In cases where there is a main head quarters on site the deer may be transferred where there's clean water and a hook to make it easier.
And as you stated one must be aware of warm temps to not allow meat to spoil.
And yes since I hunt alone many times lighter drag is preferred.
I never take an ATV hunting so some dragging will be done to get game to access by truck.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dale,

Yes, it does occasionally occur that hunters take their deer straight from the kill-site to a deer processor....particularly if:

1) They watch the deer drop and/or recover the deer within just a few minutes of the shot.
2) Temps are fairly cool.
3) The deer-processing location is only a very short drive from the kill-site.
4) Light is rapidly failing and darkness has...or is about to...set in.
5) Other special circumstances may exist that makes gutting at the kill-site less than desirable.

Personally, I typically gut at the kill-site. I live in Texas. Most of us do that in the State.
We can also use corn or other bait in Texas when hunting deer...and vast majority do so.

However, I would be very careful not to let this thread become a "we are better/more ethical hunters than them" thread.
Going down that path will get you nothing but grief on any hunting forum, my friend.
It is not about we or you are better at all.
Just vary curious about a practice I never heard of and I hunt in Montana to Minnesota. Just very curious, never heard of taking it home or a processor to gut it?

·
Registered
537 Posts
It is not about we or you are better at all.
Just vary curious about a practice I never heard of and I hunt in Montana to Minnesota. Just very curious, never heard of taking it home or a processor to gut it?
OK, I understand now. You were very curious because it was something new to you. I get that.
You were also correct about another item you mentioned. I am 61 years old and have bowhunted since I was a 17 year old junior in high school.
I have watched many 100's of hunting shows on TV...rifle, shotgun, traditional bows, compound bows, crossbows.
In all those years, I have NEVER seen a deer, elk, moose or bear shown being gutted / field-dressed on a TV show!
Most people in America (sadly) are not...and never have been...hunters of any kind.
Most would be repulsed and HORRIFIED to see an animals intestines, heart, liver, lungs and lots of blood displayed on their TV screens!
So, to keep people watching hunting shows, the producers of these shows have enough common sense NOT to freak-out their viewers and never show that aspect of hunting.
Even non-hunters understand that the animal must be processed to an edible meat product at some point after the kill.

BUT DALE, THEY DO NOT WANT TO VIEW IT....IN ALL ITS BLOODY REALITY....ON THEIR TV SCREENS.

To you and I and other hunters, it's simply part of hunting. To PETA-loving non-hunters, it seems barbaric and that's bad for business if you are a TV station!

OK...has your curiosity and questions been answered now? :) (y)

·
Registered
187 Posts
I watch like Lone Star law and the Lousiana Game Warden show on TV.
My question is all the deer(seen 100's of deer picture from those shows) shot and even loaded on a vechile are never gutted > That blows me away. Here In Minnesota 100% of the people gut the deer at kill site to cool faster and prevent contamination of meat.

Is what I see on TV the norm for down south or don't they want to show gutted deer. I would think a non gutted deer down south with warmer temps would bloat real fast and spoil your meat. What's going on down there?
Weird. I don't watch hunting shows on TV, maybe I'm weird.

Maybe they don't know how?

However, it does bring up a great point and I'll ask a butcher; How long do you wait to gut the animal after you kill it?

We gut on the spot, in the field.

·
4,180 Posts
I don't personally know of a single person that deer hunts that does not gut the deer on the spot. I'm sure some don't but they don't run in or around my pack lol.

I'll take a few pics where he lies. Then out comes the knife and i go to work. I get him to the truck as fast as i can wash him out if at all possible. Then off to the butchers where he is hosed out again then skinned and hung in a large cooler.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
There are a lot of reasons not to gut out in the area you hunt.
Coyotes would be one reason.
I hunted public land in one state where it was illegal to gut the deer on that land. Had signs up stating that in the parking area's.
Also in some nature preserves where hunting is used to manage deer density. Done some of those and same rules.

When I lived in Maine, it was illegal to hunt over a gut pile, so gutting a deer within sight of the stand would mean not being able to legally hunt that stand the next day, or until the gut pile was gone. Wardens up there didnt mess around with excuses, so I could see dragging the deer well out of the area before gutting or face a potential ticketing.

·
4,180 Posts
There are a lot of reasons not to gut out in the area you hunt.
Coyotes would be one reason.
I hunted public land in one state where it was illegal to gut the deer on that land. Had signs up stating that in the parking area's.
Also in some nature preserves where hunting is used to manage deer density. Done some of those and same rules.

When I lived in Maine, it was illegal to hunt over a gut pile, so gutting a deer within sight of the stand would mean not being able to legally hunt that stand the next day, or until the gut pile was gone. Wardens up there didnt mess around with excuses, so I could see dragging the deer well out of the area before gutting or face a potential ticketing.
Well i guess that's at least one good reason to not use a big cutting BH. :)

·
Registered
Ventilator 175 Extreme Scorpyd Velocity 165. TB Custom Horton X-treme
794 Posts
OK, I understand now. You were very curious because it was something new to you. I get that.
You were also correct about another item you mentioned. I am 61 years old and have bowhunted since I was a 17 year old junior in high school.
I have watched many 100's of hunting shows on TV...rifle, shotgun, traditional bows, compound bows, crossbows.
In all those years, I have NEVER seen a deer, elk, moose or bear shown being gutted / field-dressed on a TV show!
Most people in America (sadly) are not...and never have been...hunters of any kind.
Most would be repulsed and HORRIFIED to see an animals intestines, heart, liver, lungs and lots of blood displayed on their TV screens!
So, to keep people watching hunting shows, the producers of these shows have enough common sense NOT to freak-out their viewers and never show that aspect of hunting.
Even non-hunters understand that the animal must be processed to an edible meat product at some point after the kill.

BUT DALE, THEY DO NOT WANT TO VIEW IT....IN ALL ITS BLOODY REALITY....ON THEIR TV SCREENS.

To you and I and other hunters, it's simply part of hunting. To PETA-loving non-hunters, it seems barbaric and that's bad for business if you are a TV station!

OK...has your curiosity and questions been answered now? :) (y)
This is true. Our local small town paper has a trophy gallery during hunting season, where hunters bring in their deer for a picture which is published. However, the tongue can not be sticking out. It offends the readership evidently, so imagine how these "sensible" citizens react to envisceration.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts