Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to go with the XB75 on my Deathstalker and this morning with zero wind I got the 20 yard crosshair dialed in. But it took ALL of the down elevation to get there. Probably because I use a rather high AR15 type mount which pushes the trajectory apex out a bit more than normal.

That makes sense because I’m shooting around 368fps or so and I had to set the speed ring dead center of the 375 mark. The windage needs to move to the left a tad but I’ll wait until I can shoot 50 yards which will make the adjustment easier.

They’re developing the land where I’ve been hunting but I still have permission to hunt a spot that has 10 acres of corn this year and I’m thinking of putting a 8’ ladder stand in the fence row and look right down both edges.

We’ll see how it goes.

·
Registered
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,331 Posts
I've been meaning to try out a different scope on my DS 380 also. I picked up a Hawke XB30 30 Pro in place of the XB1 that originally came stock on it from Wyverns. I just need to make the time. I'm in no big hurry anyhow because I have my DS perfectly dialed in and it's been this way for over 2 years now ! I just can't find the heart to go and mess it all up by changing scopes.... the Pro is a way better scope though. When I have the time I'm going to swap it out.

·
Banned
178 Posts
I've been meaning to try out a different scope on my DS 380 also. I picked up a Hawke XB30 30 Pro in place of the XB1 that originally came stock on it from Wyverns. I just need to make the time. I'm in no big hurry anyhow because I have my DS perfectly dialed in and it's been this way for over 2 years now ! I just can't find the heart to go and mess it all up by changing scopes.... the Pro is a way better scope though. When I have the time I'm going to swap it out.
+1

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I just put an HHA set up on mine. I’m shooting in Marty’s string before I sight it in

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,331 Posts
I just put an HHA set up on mine. I’m shooting in Marty’s string before I sight it in
Those strings should be ready to go. I stretch them for a good while and let them relax before I serve them up. There's really no need to shoot them to break them in. The only thing I recommend is after installing them, let them sit overnight on your bow then set the ATA and timing. Giving the strands a chance to bed in around the cam grooves/tracks. You will normally gain 1/16. Nothing a half twist cannot recover.

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
Probably only someone that has one can appreciate them, and understands how the reticle actually works. (y)
What does the reticle look like ? Can you range your target with it ?

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
What does the reticle look like ? Can you range your target with it ?
I suppose you could range with it but you’d have to calculate the gaps in MOA using maybe with the magnification (or do a walk back) and carry a dope sheet. I find it easier to range the target with a Vendetta I rangefinder, pick the correct crosshair and pull the trigger. :p

The reticle is designed to shoot in 2 1/2 yard increments. I think Moon played a major part in the design. The openness of the upper half gives the impression that the FOV is larger than it actually is. It is the most clean looking reticle for shooting out to 70 yards I’ve seen.

Looking forward to installing the new cables. My priorities are always “in sync first and then an acceptable timing range” - the ATA will be whatever it is.

fullsizeoutput_c0f.jpeg
DSCN1065.JPG

Reactions: Martymig

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
I owned 2 XB75s and they were nice scopes but ended up selling both and moving on. I think my favorite back when was the Leupold Crossbones scope ( 9 ozs) but as my eyesight got worse the 2 of them also got sold. I still have my Vortex XBR. :)

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
Thanks, i thought maybe it was set up to range find with but thats what i have set up also. A mountable rangefinder.
I'll be getting to your cables soon. I'm working down the list.
I think that was Acog that has a scope that you can range your target with using just the reticle....

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The XBR was able to be used as a rangefinder as it is in true MOA spacing - just need to adjust for the magnification and use the sniper target height formula.

I would think one might be able to use any multiple crosshair and the walk back procedure to use it as a rangefinder. Probably would be easier with two people - the 2nd one moving a specific height target back and forth.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I owned 2 XB75s and they were nice scopes but ended up selling both and moving on. I think my favorite back when was the Leupold Crossbones scope ( 9 ozs) but as my eyesight got worse the 2 of them also got sold. I still have my Vortex XBR. :)
Same here Robert, mine didn't last long, the XB-30 Pro as Marty as I have stated many times, is a much better option when daylight starts fading as is the XBR, both better than the XB-75 in that scenario, it has as good a glass in daylight, but I get most of my shots after that sun goes down, even the XB-1 will work in daylight, I want the best I can get for the toughest of situations, but I hunt deep in the bottom of a lot of hallows, early season in full foliage they can be quite dark before sunset, as the sun goes down over them ridges as much as 1 1/2 hours before it hits the horizon, once the sun gets below the horizon it is magnified. Just my experience with it. But where you hunt Tim should be of little need for the brighter glass or the lighted reticle with super low illumination. Good Luck on your final season, hope you end it out with another nice one like last years!

Reactions: Rit

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I set up in the driveway and put an 18” placard across the street (normal for top of back to a deer’s belly) and started the walk back. The XB75 is most likely a 3 times zoom so it can’t be exactly 2-7 power, probably more like something in the range of 2.2 - 6.6, so the drops in the Hawke chart didn’t come out exact but close enough to get started.

Framing the placard with the 20 yard crosshair and the 55 yard dot yielded exactly 45 yards to the target. With the 20 crosshair and the 65 yard dot was 35 yards, and the 20 crosshair and a smudge into the bottom vertical post was 25 yards - but the Vendetta works best. Here’s a pic with my cell, should have used my little point-n-shoot.

I’ve probably deer hunted 50+ without illuminated scopes and never had an issue in low light (or poaching light). I've also learned over time not to stay on stand until I could see. I’ve jumped too many deer that I couldn’t see when leaving the stand, so now I basically stalk my way out so I can see and perhaps avoid spooking nearby deer.

(I also don't go into the woods in the morning carrying a floodlight - just enough to see the ground suits me).

IMG_0874.JPG

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Don't confuse poaching light with legal last light, the most productive time of day first and last light by about 80%!! But I'm sure your not insinuating anything with such a crude description.

I don't go in the woods to leave before legal quit time, If you carry a light in or out, it would be considered a floodlight to me,, I have made it clear I use no light in or out, mainly from years of hunting public ground! I hve found when your successful year after year, they all want to know where you hunt, and if they can track you it will get crowded! I don't give anything away on public ground, and don't have to hunt after hours to fill my tags, never did, never will!

Again,,,, best of luck Sir!

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Same here Robert, mine didn't last long, the XB-30 Pro as Marty as I have stated many times, is a much better option when daylight starts fading as is the XBR, both better than the XB-75 in that scenario, it has as good a glass in daylight, but I get most of my shots after that sun goes down, even the XB-1 will work in daylight, I want the best I can get for the toughest of situations, but I hunt deep in the bottom of a lot of hallows, early season in full foliage they can be quite dark before sunset, as the sun goes down over them ridges as much as 1 1/2 hours before it hits the horizon, once the sun gets below the horizon it is magnified. Just my experience with it. But where you hunt Tim should be of little need for the brighter glass or the lighted reticle with super low illumination. Good Luck on your final season, hope you end it out with another nice one like last years!
I have 2 of the xb30 pro on bows. Th glass is decent and pretty good in low light. I like to shoot for accuracy so 3 bows are set up with rifle scopes on jack plates. My xbr isn't on a bow right now but as soon as I get my custom Silver from Burky it will be on that.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts