Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
RDX 400, Nitro 505 w/Oracle X
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago I switched from hind legs up to head up hanging. For me, they drain better and it just seems easier to skin butt down, drop the hide in the bin, quarter back up and then drop the head. I have a block and tackle and get enough height to work comfortable or sit in a chair (senior).
I haven’t felt the need to feed the taxidermy man (yet).
If it’s warm I shoot, skin and quarter the same day and store the quarters individually in scent free plastic a spare fridge for a few days prior to boning 1 1/4 at a time. Seems like it’s what works best for each. Opinions?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
A few years ago I switched from hind legs up to head up hanging. For me, they drain better and it just seems easier to skin butt down, drop the hide in the bin, quarter back up and then drop the head. I have a block and tackle and get enough height to work comfortable or sit in a chair (senior).
If it’s warm I shoot, skin and quarter the same day and store the quarters individually in scent free plastic a spare fridge for a few days prior to boning 1 1/4 at a time. Seems like it’s what works best for each. Opinions?
I hang by back legs

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hung only one deer by the back legs in my whole life, and will never do that stupidity again.

We hang by the head, we do a no gut method, head up allows everything to just drop into the carcass bucket.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I hang and skin from the head up. 99.9% of the time, bow or gun, the deer is skinned the same day it is shot. I have a cooler that the deer will fit in as a whole carcass, ( minus head and lower legs ) I let the deer age in cooler at 36 to 38 degrees for about 6 to 8 days, then take to a processor.
I have never skinned a deer from the hind quarters down to the neck, just looks way to difficult to me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have always hung them head down to skin them. On another site, someone shared a link to a video by Meateater showing how he does them head up. I am going to try that this weekend at camp and see which I like best.

·
Registered
E Tennessee
636 Posts
I generally hang them from the neck unless I'm saving the cape.

·
Registered
RDX 400, Nitro 505 w/Oracle X
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks 50/50 from a few responses, personal preference. Good to know I’m not alone.
I dress in the field to reduce blood splatter on the way home.
If it’s cool enough I let mine hang skin on for a few days, if warm, it’s shoot and quarter same day.
Next one that gets skinned I’m going to try a gut hook knife gift I’ve never used in the field. Thinking it might slide down easily.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
I do legs up also. I have never tried head up, but like anything, we are all different!

Reactions: Jack Pine

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have only hung a couple in my whole life from the feet. Too much added trouble to skin and break them down that way.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I hang head down. Gutted in field. I put trimmings in the rib cage chest cavity to keep all in one package. I drop the skeleton and all the unwanted into my tractor bucket and place in my already dug trench (back hoe) and cover portion as needed.
I have done a few head up. Either way is fine with me.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've always hung them feet up. I'm reading that head up is easier for some but I've never felt it was difficult to skin them head down so I've never tried head up. I see where people skin them using trucks and golf balls and such but if you simply use a sharp knife to assist the skin letting go its quite easy. Also in a CWD era I think having the brain hung below the meat could be a safer way to hang.

Happy skinning everyone because if your skinning that means you had a good hunt and happy Thanksgiving!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts