Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
After reading more of the posts on this thread, I have to admit, i didn't comprehend the thread title completely. I was thinking just skinning the deer, not including processing.
I guess your preferred method depends on your total task.

·
Registered
190 Posts
After reading more of the posts on this thread, I have to admit, i didn't comprehend the thread title completely. I was thinking just skinning the deer, not including processing.
I guess your preferred method depends on your total task.
I skin and quarter with it hanging but I debone on the table. If making steaks I use my meat band saw to cut the steaks from the hams.

·
4,837 Posts
Back when i processed my own. I hung back legs up and spread apart. Skinned it down cut off the shoulders then the tenderloin then sweet loins. Sawed it off where the back meets the hip. Seperated the hams sawed off the legs at the knees.

I did skin a few head up using a rope and a 4 wheeler that worked pretty slick. But i thought it was harder to cut up or quarter the deer. .

I have always gutted my deer first thing after tagging.

·
Registered
Excalibur Vortex 330, Centerpoint Sniper 370, Centerpoint Patriot 425
16,870 Posts
Wanna skin 'em fast? Try this...

·
Registered
Ventilator 175 Extreme Scorpyd Velocity 165. TB Custom Horton X-treme
826 Posts
The really old timers that I first started hunting with 60 years ago, always did feet up. Being farmers, they butchered their own beef and pork. That is how those domestics we're hung, as their contention was they wanted anything that drained in the body to not be in the prime rear cuts. Arteries, veins, I assume they were referring to. I do it that way, as that is how I learned. The times I have helped with someone who hung head up, I never noticed much difference in skinning and quartering.

·
14,480 Posts
Jaw Bone Horn Wood Natural material
Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Dog Snout

Hood Fawn Gas Livestock Tail

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Field dress. Remove loins. Hang head up till I skin. Always skin feet up. Quarter.

Do not tolerate any hair on my carcass. I don’t skin till I qtr. Does not dry out as fast. We often have cold weather in kill season… It will keep. We butcher several at a time. Cut all our own.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've done it both ways. A nice fresh deer skinned with the golf ball method ( I use a rock) and the ATV winch makes it an easy, quick way to skin. I think it easier processing with the deer hanging by the head. Take off the front legs first, tie a back leg to the tree to keep from moving and work on the carcass.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I always recommend hind legs down as long as you have cut the pelvic bone as it will drain better, and this is true for all critters including rabbits. I showed this method to a young guide in Newfoundland when we were snaring rabbits and he was hanging them hind legs up to gut them. Once he saw how everything drained and fell out easier, he was convinced.

·
Registered
18,426 Posts
My deer get gutted where they fall and are well drained long before making it back to my truck. I will continue to hang and skin and debone with the legs up. I don't cut the pelvic bone either as the butt hole is the first cut I make when gutting. It slips right out with the guts when done properly.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts