Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Ravin R20 and took it out to shoot it today. After about 5 shots the Ravin Limb dampeners fell out of the limbs (1 flew out about 10 feet, the other fell to the ground). I wondered if anyone has had this experience?
I also wonder if it's worth trying to put them back on--any suggestions or just leave them off?
Thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Are you talking about the string stops? My R20 did not come with limb dampeners.
Some packages include them. Pretty sure talking about the rubber in-between limb dampeners.

There are two ways to install them, you want the thin gap to grip the limbs, all I can think of is you have the wider gap being the grip. The tighter the fit the more vibration it absorbs. I didn't have too much difficulty installing mine on a 29, but I had to use quite a bit of force and fold the nubs away from the center of the dampener to get them on.

·
Registered
385 Posts
If they are ravin dampners they are hard to install and could never fly out unless bow blew up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some packages include them. Pretty sure talking about the rubber in-between limb dampeners.

There are two ways to install them, you want the thin gap to grip the limbs, all I can think of is you have the wider gap being the grip. The tighter the fit the more vibration it absorbs. I didn't have too much difficulty installing mine on a 29, but I had to use quite a bit of force and fold the nubs away from the center of the dampener to get them on.
Yes, I'm talking about the rubber in-between dampeners. They are Ravin brand, and installed by the dealer, but he installed them with ease, so I'm wondering if they weren't installed correctly. I'll check that idea out....thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts

That's the gap that should grip the limbs. Check the one that didn't fall off to see if he just stuck them in there willy nilly.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have been using Ravins for going on four or five years now and do not use any limb dampeners. I don't see a need for them. I have taken deer out to seventy yards and have never had any problems with them. IMO they are not worth the bother or the cost.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Have them on my R10 and R29. Installed correctly, they will never "fly off". Always have used limb dampeners on all of my bows/crossbows. Don't do much to reduce sound, but certainly reduce vibration, which is a good thing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have them on my R10 and R29. Installed correctly, they will never "fly off". Always have used limb dampeners on all of my bows/crossbows. Don't do much to reduce sound, but certainly reduce vibration, which is a good thing.
View attachment 182844
I just re-installed the dampeners. I noticed on your pics that that are a ways from the cams...I'd read that they need to be as close to the cams as possible--now i'm wondering if mine were too close and that's what caused them to come out of place. I'll try moving them towards to front of the bow. Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes, after reading you put them as close to the cams as possible it makes sense they flew off. On mine I put them as far away from the cams as they can go, just like 1hunter's pic.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, after reading you put them as close to the cams as possible it makes sense they flew off. On mine I put them as far away from the cams as they can go, just like 1hunter's pic.
Thanks! Good to know! Hopefully now I'm good to go! I'm hoping to get out to shoot again next weekend so I'll post again if I have more problems.

·
Registered
65 Posts
When I got my R29X set and ready to shoot, I had installed the dampeners as close to the limb pivots as possible (without scrunching them in there) for the very reason I thought they might get thrown off. I also ran a stock arrow through my chrono and got 431 at 5 feet from the sky screens. I'm like "What?!!!"

So, I pulled the dampeners and ran the same arrow through again without the dampeners. Guess what? 445fps at 5 feet. Think I'm gonna leave them off for now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I got my R29X set and ready to shoot, I had installed the dampeners as close to the limb pivots as possible (without scrunching them in there) for the very reason I thought they might get thrown off. I also ran a stock arrow through my chrono and got 431 at 5 feet from the sky screens. I'm like "What?!!!"

So, I pulled the dampeners and ran the same arrow through again without the dampeners. Guess what? 445fps at 5 feet. Think I'm gonna leave them off for now.
I shot it through the chrono when I bought it--428fps, Then with limb dampeners it was 426, so I was ok with 2fps for the reduced noise/vibration. I did re-install the dampeners and moved them away from the cams. Hoping to have time to shoot this weekend, but I gotta get ready for the youth hunt for my kids, so we'll see. Thanks for the input.
R29x is a fine piece of equipment! I looked it over when I was shopping around.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts