Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new XB30 Compact SR 1.5-5x32 the other day but haven't had chance to use it yet as my new bow hasn't arrived.
I read the manual in the box and had a play about with it, adjusted the zoom/speed ring to roughly the speed of the bow and tried tightening up the lock screw on the zoom ring a bit.
It didn't seem to lock very well but I decided it's not really a problem as the ring is fairly stiff.
Today I decided to download the PDF manual from Hawke to save on my laptop in case I lose the paper one.
I noticed the manual was slightly different and had a lot more detail.
When I got to the section on calibrating the scope with the speed ring there is now a warning notice:

"CAUTION: The screw in the magnification ring is not a lock and should not be tampered with as this will void your warranty."

Oh great!
Why no mention of this in the manual in the box???
Does anyone know if i'm likely to have damaged it?
I can't test it right now other than looking though it and it seems fine but that doesn't mean it's going to be on target.
There is no other obvious function for that great big screw to be on the ring other than to lock it so what's it for?
As the speed ring is a set it and forget it calibration you would expect that screw to be for locking it!
If they have just used a ring with a lock on it from another scope but it's not meant to be used because it can cause damage then that's just stupid.
If it's been damaged then I'll be sending it back and asking for a replacement due to their lack of proper instructions.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Chris,the screw is probably a friction screw just for tension on the ring.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I'd give Hawke a call. Wouldn't hesitate for a second. Face it, if you blew the warranty you blew the warranty. I talked to a gentleman named Jef a few days ago and he gave me the impression that if there's any way they can help you out they will. If nothing else you'll know what you did or didn't do. Easy people to talk to and within a minute or so I was talking to someone who knows their scopes very well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes i think I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.
I have the manual they supplied so if it has caused damage then I'd say it's entirely their fault for not pointing this out in the first place.
It may be they noticed this causing problems and updated the manual since but I thought it was a very new scope?
It certainly is over here in the UK.
I suppose they might have had a few people clamping it down so tight it's bent the tube or something but I didn't tighten it too much, I just hope it's not some factory adjustment feature.

·
3,321 Posts
When I got my xb-30, I wondered what that screw was for also, did not see it mentioned anywhere to use in sighting in of my scope, so I did nothing with it. Later someone on this site brought up that it had nothing to do with sighting in your scope or anything else that you should not mess with it . That's how I found out, what the deal was !!!!! Happy Trails !!!!

Reactions: Jmmaek and Stalker

·
Registered
745 Posts
Agree with Jackpine. Sure you didn't do too much damage, but better to call Hawke and get their take. Mistakes happen and they seem like a solid company.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
It all depends on how much torque you applied and what the purpose of the screw may be. Will the sliding lock speed popring still function?
If so shoot the the bow to confirm all is good?

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Haha 😄
Never pay attention to that. Why did it appear in this case? I wasn't looking for it..
The lock zoom feature was in the future.

Reactions: Oncebitten

·
Registered
52 Posts
That screw is for connecting the ring to the internal adjustment part. If you remove it internals will not adjust if you tighten it it will not hurt anything unless you crank it so hard it either strips the threads or you bend the internals and it won’t rotate. If it still rotates you probly have nothing to worry about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts