Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Ravin overload. My new Ravin is rapidly becoming my mistress. I'm just trying to make her happy. Looking for opinions on what Hawke scope that y'all may suggest . I'm looking at the XB30 and the XB30 Compact. The reason I was looking at Hawke is that I have the XB1 on my Barnett and like it. But any other brands that y'all suggest I will sure take a look at. To me the stock ravin scope that came on my R10 is just a little busy. And I took it out yesterday evening and compared to the Hawke XB1 and there's quite a difference in a low light situation, Hawke being the better of the 2 at least in these old eyes. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm in Ravin overload. My new Ravin is rapidly becoming my mistress. I'm just trying to make her happy. Looking for opinions on what Hawke scope that y'all may suggest . I'm looking at the XB30 and the XB30 Compact. The reason I was looking at Hawke is that I have the XB1 on my Barnett and like it. But any other brands that y'all suggest I will sure take a look at. To me the stock ravin scope that came on my R10 is just a little busy. And I took it out yesterday evening and compared to the Hawke XB1 and there's quite a difference in a low light situation, Hawke being the better of the 2 at least in these old eyes. Thanks for any input.
I have the xb30 , I like it good in low light. The xb30 crosshairs are set on 20 yds the compact at 40yards thats the main difference.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
The XB30 1.5-6 x 36mm Compact SR that I have does something for me that not very many crossbower seem to accomplish. I have it tuned with my Ripper so I can use all the crosshairs out to 115 yards. I have seem a lot of guys on here selling those XB1 Hawke scopes.
The XB30 has clear glass and the thin lines make it possible to see small detail while taking long shots.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
If you have a chance to see or use the SigSauer BDX System, you may want to give it a try.
It kicks some serious butt, IMO.
Magnification does not affect the POA/POI.

Reactions: robertyb

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the Sig Sauer require a Bluetooth connection, because I hunt down in the canyon where any kind of service is non-existent. Just curious if that would affect anything

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
Does the Sig Sauer require a Bluetooth connection, because I hunt down in the canyon where any kind of service is non-existent. Just curious if that would affect anything
The Bluetooth does not need a service connection to work. The RF and Scope will exchange info without service or even your phone being present.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the information I'm one of them guys who was passed by this high-tech world, so I appreciate your explanation. That helped out a lot

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
The compact has lousy glass, same as the XB-1 only with a 30mm tube! The XB-30 Pro SR has much better glass, quite obvious when compared side by side, and hence the higher price tag!

Its obvious if you have owned both, and yes that is also straight from the man in charge of Hawke USA in Ft. Wayne In., both have the same reticle algorithms, and just different reticles, but can be reliably setup for different zero ranges out the end of their aiming points for 10 yard increments!

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
I appreciate the information I'm one of them guys who was passed by this high-tech world, so I appreciate your explanation. That helped out a lot
You can use it "as-is" with the power off on the scope, too.
I do that occasionally when I am in "low-tech" mode, so to speak.
All in all, it is an amazingly simple system to use.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the reply's and all the input. I'm heading over to my local Pro shop to look at the SigSauer BDX System on Saturday and if I end up buying it, my new R10 has quickly become my most expensive weapon that I own. But like a friend once told me money is just paper.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Here is view of the Hawke XB30 1.5-6x or 2-8x36mm Compact SR scope reticles. I am not selling them I am just using one and it works great.
All one needs to do is zero to 20 yards then tune it to the speed of the bow to get it hitting all the yardages dead on.

20191123_115426[13696]c.jpg

·
Registered
123 Posts
I use the 2-8x36 on my R20 and really, really like it. I like the light gathering and for me personally, I actually wanted a little bit more magnification.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I also want more magnification at times but unfortunately the speed of the bow controls that setting. It is possible to use high magnification if one zeros at the desired power but full range of reticle detail would be lost.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Completely get what you are saying there. I could be wrong, but I’m working under the assumption that setting the 2-8 Hawke at close to 450 on the speed ring (where mine sits to dial in the reticles) sets my fixed magnification a little higher than the standard Ravin scope. Can’t remember 100% but I’m thinking it’s a 5X or 6X???

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I also want more magnification at times but unfortunately the speed of the bow controls that setting. It is possible to use high magnification if one zeros at the desired power but full range of reticle detail would be lost.
Thanks ,I just learned something, I guess its never to late.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I meant 5 or 6X on the Ravin factory. I think the Hawke is probably sitting somewhere in the 6.5-7X actual magnification once you lock in the speed ring.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Completely get what you are saying there. I could be wrong, but I’m working under the assumption that setting the 2-8 Hawke at close to 450 on the speed ring (where mine sits to dial in the reticles) sets my fixed magnification a little higher than the standard Ravin scope. Can’t remember 100% but I’m thinking it’s a 5X or 6X???
Yes! Right on the magnification goes up as the speed increases. As you can see in this photo 450 fps aligns with approximately 6.2x for faster crossbows. The 2-8X scope increases to 475 fps which will be near 7X

Hawke Scope.jpg

·
Registered
123 Posts
The Sig Sauer BDX can be used on any power without changing your POI.

JJ - Take a look at the prices here:
These look cool! I saw these being discussed on a different thread on here the other night. Spent a while watching YouTube videos trying to educate myself on them after reading about them here. While the learning curve doesn’t look all that bad at all, figured it might be more of an odd season project for me personally, if I decide to switch over.... never ending decisions!

I thought I was all set for my next optic project to be setting up one of my Ravins for nighttime pig hunting with an ATN or Sightmark Wraith (what I’m currently running on one of my rifle rigs).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts