Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upgraded the bow for next year, guess I'll upgrade scope too.

I had been perfectly happy with the Excalibur Twilight DLX on the old slow bow (325 fps) and figured I'd use it on the new bow (380-390 fps). But when I turn the speed dial up that high (DLX scope is 3-6 X rated up to 410 fps), the field of view is pretty small as I'm probably close to 6 power by then. So, I'll leave it on the old bow for a backup.

It looks like the XB30 scopes are pretty highly thought of. I looked at the latest Vortex also, but don't care for that reticle.

The XB30 reticles looks good though, so how are these scopes at 1st & last light?

Also, I see that the 'Pro' model sells for a little more, while having a smaller objective lens. What makes the Pro better than the other XB30s?

Registered
The Pro in my opinion isn't better than the XB30 Compacts. The reticle layout isn't as good and the light gathering probably isn't because the tube size is 1" as opposed to 30mm. I have great results with my XB30.
Spot,
馃幆

Reactions: Ironminer

Registered
I'm yet to a find a X-bow scope worth looking at. I've got the Hawke XB30 and it's junk. I can't believe the high end glass makers aren't jumping into the X-bow market. My Swaro EL's are basically night vision at the lowest of light without illumination. I've looked at the Garmin Xi but its just huge. Frustrating!

Registered
I'm yet to a find a X-bow scope worth looking at. I've got the Hawke XB30 and it's junk. I can't believe the high end glass makers aren't jumping into the X-bow market. My Swaro EL's are basically night vision at the lowest of light without illumination. I've looked at the Garmin Xi but its just huge. Frustrating!
I asked the same thing a year ago great crossbow scopes

Registered
If Vortex comes out with a better 鈥渉unter version鈥 reticle in their Crossfire II, then they could have a lion鈥檚 share of the market. A lot on here loved the current reticle, a lot of us returned our because we didn鈥檛 like the reticle.

Time will tell if Vortex makes a change.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Turns out the answer to my original question is No & Yes. I had pretty much decided on the XB30 Pro. I emailed Hawke and they confirmed "a slight improvement in glass and coating quality in the pro' over the other XB30s.

So I was just waiting for a good price on the Pro model.

I was also aware that Hawke made an XB30 clone for Trophy Ridge - XV530IR, or something like. that. I happened to see one of these at a good price and decided to go that route.

I took it out last night with a few minutes of legal shooting light left and was pleased at how well I could see through it.

As I said, I've liked using the Excalibur Twilight DLX and I think this TR XB30 clone will be a bit better - don't see anything about it yet that I don't think I'll like.

Registered
I would get the Hawke XB30 1.5-6X 36mm IR Compact

Registered

I disagree
You need to brush up on your optics. The larger 30mm tube only allows for a larger range of adjustments and more strength over a 1鈥 tube - nothing to do with light transfer or 鈥渂rightness鈥.

(Unless you鈥檙e referring to the exit pupil and that still doesn鈥檛 relate to tube size).

Registered
You need to brush up on your optics. The larger 30mm tube only allows for a larger range of adjustments and more strength over a 1鈥 tube - nothing to do with light transfer or 鈥渂rightness鈥.
You should do the same

Registered
You should do the same
The only time a 30mm tube provides more light transmission than a 1" tube is when we're comparing hollow, empty cylinders. But that's not the discussion. We're talking optics.

It is a cold, hard scientific fact: with the same objective size, same optical quality and same number of lens surfaces, 30mm and 1 inch maintube scopes will have identical light transmission. Because the tubes are only providing structure and are entirely uninvolved in transmitting light.

HOWEVER, if you want to deviate from "same objective size, same optical quality, same number surfaces" assumption then, yes, a 30mm tube "can" provide a better playground for internals.
European 30mm scopes use larger internal components and have the same amount of adjustment travel as a 1" tube scope. Except 30mm scopes with 1" internals will have more adjustment travel for long range shooting. That's why Schmidt & Bender went to a 34mm tube on their rifle scopes.

Registered
The only time a 30mm tube provides more light transmission than a 1" tube is when we're comparing hollow, empty cylinders. But that's not the discussion. We're talking optics.

It is a cold, hard scientific fact: with the same objective size, same optical quality and same number of lens surfaces, 30mm and 1 inch maintube scopes will have identical light transmission. Because the tubes are only providing structure and are entirely uninvolved in transmitting light.
Well said.

The other attribute is the larger 30mm tube allows for more turret adjustment range.

Registered
Turns out the answer to my original question is No & Yes. I had pretty much decided on the XB30 Pro. I emailed Hawke and they confirmed "a slight improvement in glass and coating quality in the pro' over the other XB30s.

I was also aware that Hawke made an XB30 clone for Trophy Ridge - XV530IR, or something like. that. I happened to see one of these at a good price and decided to go that route.

I took it out last night with a few minutes of legal shooting light left and was pleased at how well I could see through it.

As I said, I've liked using the Excalibur Twilight DLX and I think this TR XB30 clone will be a bit better - don't see anything about it yet that I don't think I'll like.
I like my XV530. Just wish it was a little smaller.

Registered
R20

I have a XB30 PRO scope for sale. $200 tyd. check my ad in the market place. this is in mint condition.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts