Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s the consensus with headlights and spooking deer? I’m planning to walk to my stand in the early morning tomorrow and it may be pitch black. If I can get there without using my headlight, I will. But if it’s overcast and pitch black, I may have to use it but am afraid of spooking deer. The trail is through thick forest all the way to my stand.
I’ve heard conflicting reports about a headlight’s effect on deer. Some say it’s not a problem if you keep your head down, while others say it really doesn’t matter. Also, I only have a white light.
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
13,583 Posts
Using the headlight is better than getting shot at by a rifle hunter.😬 I don't think the deer spook at that bad as long as it's still dark. Ive had to get down out of my stands before and had to run the deer off to get down. Ive turned on my light and shined 'em and they just stood there looking back at me before I started climbing down. I suppose they moved off when I exited the stand because they were gone when I touched ground and took another look. I'll still use a light right after daybreak so I don't walk by some unexpected hunter in the woods and him not seeing me good enough to know what I am. When he sees a light then he knows.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Gabowman. I’m fortunate that I hunt on private property quite a distance from any public land, so I’m not too concerned with other hunters. I’m probably more concerned with bears (had one on camera this week) or wolves (saw what could be prints this week) than anything else. Being in northwest Wisconsin in the middle of nowhere has its concerns around here at night!!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I usually go with the red light on mine. Not that deer can't see it but red helps you not to lose your night vision like the white light will. So that way when younger to your tree you can turn off the red light and just keep going

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,583 Posts
Thanks, Gabowman. I’m fortunate that I hunt on private property quite a distance from any public land, so I’m not too concerned with other hunters. I’m probably more concerned with bears (had one on camera this week) or wolves (saw what could be prints this week) than anything else. Being in northwest Wisconsin in the middle of nowhere has its concerns around here at night!!!
Bears and wolves?!?🥵 You wouldn't have to worry about me walking into my stand area in the dark! I would wait until after daybreak so I could "SEE" what was in front of me.🥶😲😵

Reactions: samt and deadeer

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are my “friends!” This is about 1000 yards from my house and 40 yards from my stand. The only sign I have from the wolves is their howling at night when they make a kill. Hopefully, it’s not me some morning.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Here are my “friends!” This is about 1000 yards from my house and 40 yards from my stand. The only sign I have from the wolves is their howling at night when they make a kill. Hopefully, it’s not me some morning. View attachment 187563
Definitely be going to my stand with my gun loaded. We just have coyotes and your occasional hog down here in middle Tennessee/Western Kentucky.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Used to live in Greeneville, Tennessee (Smokey Mountains) during high school, where I hunted for rabbits, squirrels, and an occasional fox. I’m sure there were bears around, but I was too stupid to worry about them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Used to live in Greeneville, Tennessee (Smokey Mountains) during high school, where I hunted for rabbits, squirrels, and an occasional fox. I’m sure there were bears around, but I was too stupid to worry about them.
Yeah I am originally from Oak Ridge area and there are bears and lots of pigs over there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Definitely be going to my stand with my gun loaded. We just have coyotes and your occasional hog down here in middle Tennessee/Western Kentucky.

By the way, that peanut jar on the tree is my height, 6’ 5”. It was a big girl whose kids I have on camera these days. I’m hoping they’re hibernating now up here.

·
Registered
205 Posts
By the way, that peanut jar on the tree is my height, 6’ 5”. It was a big girl whose kids I have on camera these days. I’m hoping they’re hibernating now up here.
I have done some hunting in Wisconsin on Fort McCoy. Freaking cold up there and there was a foot of snow on the ground.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, it can get cold, but you just have to dress for it. Tomorrow morning it will be 17 degrees. There are days when it’s 30 below; that’s when I don’t go out.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I usually go with the red light on mine. Not that deer can't see it but red helps you not to lose your night vision like the white light will. So that way when younger to your tree you can turn off the red light and just keep going

I use my red light also....works good.

·
Registered
2017 Vauxhall Mokka Elite
450 Posts
Get yourself a red light or a green light

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
I have been using a green light for a lot of years now. I have walked up on a bunch of deer over the years that apparently thought I could not see them. As long as I stayed down wind I walked by them without them spooking.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts