Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been talked about before but I can't find anything specific to the heater I have. I have the Mr. Heater Little Buddy heater. Runs on one small 1lb propane tank. Online says heats up to 95 sqft. So 10x10. I'll have it in a 5x5 ground blind. Anyone use this heater in a ground blind? How well did it heat the blind? It's gonna 9 degrees on Saturday. So I am definitely going to use it. Any tips for using this in a blind would be great thanks
Audio equipment Wheel Tool Gadget Auto part

This is the heater I'll be using.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I have never used a little buddy, so difficult to answer your questions. I have one of their tank top heaters, and have used that in a ground blind for Turkey hunting. It was adequate, however the temps were not all that cold.. A couple of key factors is How much wind and if you have any windows open. Guess all you could do is try it, if it doesn't adequately heat and you get that cold, you will just have to quit hunting. One problem that will be likely to occur, is that with the small one pound cylinders and at that low of temps, you might not get much pressure out of those tanks. Propane is a liquefied gas and its pressures are effected by temperature. The colder it gets, the gas condenses more into a liquid state with low pressure. The hotter the temps, the more propane goes into a gas state, with higher pressures. Sorry, I couldn't be more help. Good Luck. :)

·
Registered
R20
252 Posts
I know this has been talked about before but I can't find anything specific to the heater I have. I have the Mr. Heater Little Buddy heater. Runs on one small 1lb propane tank. Online says heats up to 95 sqft. So 10x10. I'll have it in a 5x5 ground blind. Anyone use this heater in a ground blind? How well did it heat the blind? It's gonna 9 degrees on Saturday. So I am definitely going to use it. Any tips for using this in a blind would be great thanks
View attachment 216145

Read your warning labels on your ground blind about using heat sources in the blind. I have a Primos Double Bull 360 and it states not to use such heating devices like propane heaters because of toxic fumes being generated by the heat from propane heaters that is reacting with the types of coatings that are used on the material that covers the blinds.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Cant hurt to have it along. I've used the little buddy but not the small one like the one in the pic.

I will say the deer do pick up on the smell given off for sure. I sit with one window opened as less as possible.

·
Registered
still a looking!
90 Posts
Jus my 2 cents, we've used a Colman sport cat for the last 10 years in a ground blind your size. By the time you got the view open 120 degrees visual and I can guarantee it wont be sealed to the ground around the bottom you'll still be cold but not froze. never had a problem bout being gassed. but i do know if you rub your hands over it and pick at your fingernails and drop something on it it'll smell like your branding cattle and scalding hog's!

here in northern Arkansas it gets cold but not that cold during hunting season i find myself humped over that little heater in the low 20's (Monkey+football) my feet get cold, back and kidneys. your going to run it on high so bring extra bottles.

up front, I've never hunted in a blind with a crossbow . . . I'd be concerned on placement (direct heat) and its effects on your equipment.

-Tuco

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
My experiences with pop up blinds and ice fishing shantys heated with propane or a coleman stove, have basically been the same. You won't roast but the heat will keep the top of you warmer while your feet stay cold. This is where those ice breaker boot blankets come in handy. In a pop up blind you usually have more then one window open facing down wind so any heat build up will be minimal.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have the mr heater buddy heater which is 4000 btu on low, similar to your little buddy which I believe is 3800 btu. At 30 degrees I can hunt in shirt sleeves on low. When it gets mid teens and below I run on high At 9000 btu's. I've never used it in negative temps so not sure how cold I could stand and still hunt. Of course wind can make big differences as well.

Reactions: Tuco

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I have one of those and it works pretty well. I stopped using those because it was easy to knock them over.

·
Registered
R20
252 Posts
Jus my 2 cents, we've used a Colman sport cat for the last 10 years in a ground blind your size. By the time you got the view open 120 degrees visual and I can guarantee it wont be sealed to the ground around the bottom you'll still be cold but not froze. never had a problem bout being gassed. but i do know if you rub your hands over it and pick at your fingernails and drop something on it it'll smell like your branding cattle and scalding hog's!

here in northern Arkansas it gets cold but not that cold during hunting season i find myself humped over that little heater in the low 20's (Monkey+football) my feet get cold, back and kidneys. your going to run it on high so bring extra bottles.

up front, I've never hunted in a blind with a crossbow . . . I'd be concerned on placement (direct heat) and its effects on your equipment.

-Tuco
The older blinds don't have the new toxic coating on them. This has just been done within the last couple of years. If the tag on the blind does't have the listing, then u are allright. CHECK the tag sewed to the blind itself.

·
Registered
16,152 Posts
I just read the tag off my new DB SV 360 blind. It says nothing about toxic coatings. Says flame retardant but not flame proof. Gives the usual warnings about smoking in the blind, etc. Usual lawyer stuff. Leave a window partially open and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
R20
252 Posts
I just read the tag off my new DB SV 360 blind. It says nothing about toxic coatings. Says flame retardant but not flame proof. Gives the usual warnings about smoking in the blind, etc. Usual lawyer stuff. Leave a window partially open and you should be good to go.
view your setup instructions or your instructions in the carry bag.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
You guy's are joken right???? I have never in my life carried a furnace with me and called myself hunting, I always dress for it! 9* fer high is excellent hunting weather, but I cant believe what some call hunting when a furnace is involved, hell I love hunting in these temps though, never dreamed of putting a furnace in my blind, I can't see how it could do anything but run the biguns off, I save that chit fer when I get home, makes me sleep better, ;)

Snow Sky Branch Plant Wood

Snow Plant Tree Military camouflage Twig

Automotive tire Plant Snow Wood Trunk

You guy's gotta tell me how this is done, "as Bob Dillon said, "the times they are changin", who'd a ever thunk it, :censored:

·
Registered
15,334 Posts
IF I'm gonna hunt and it's 9* you can bet there will be a heater like that sitting between my legs! 9*?!? I'm gonna be hugging the wood heater at home!! I'm a southern boy where temps in the 20's is COOOOOLD! Brrrrr...

BTW, be careful if your heater is flameless as it's still got a flame even if you cant see it and it will burn anything too close.

Reactions: Tuco

·
Registered
Ten Point Titan M1 CP Wrath 430
289 Posts
I have the Portable Buddy Heater under my Harbor freight folding chair in my blind.
Right now it is about zero F out, with wind, - 20 or so below, a bit nippy for me to be out hunting coyotes.
Really like it, 2 settings, 1 lb bottle but I have a refiller and a big tank and hose, flexable.

·
Registered
196 Posts
i think most of the heater users don't dress for the occasion. in a million years i can't imagine getting cold [in 6 hrs] if i am out of the wind and the temp is like 20 deg. you dress properly, get cold, or use a heater. i am 70 yrs. old and have never used a heater. i have enough stuff to carry into the woods. i do use a backpack in the winter to carry my outer clothes, bibs, jacket, boot blankets.
i have heaters. when i was early twenties they got me across the midwest for a year in an 18 wheeler and never had to rent a room at night. and they are a must in an ice shanty but then so is beer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
View attachment 216145

That heater will provide some warmth, but you def won't be overheated. I got my dad one for use in his box blind and it took the chill off but that was about it. He ended up buying a Mr. Heater buddy heater and with that he can make it warm.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts