Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
No matter how warm I dress I still get cold. For Temps like what I'll hunt in on Sat (9 degrees) I'll wear my heavy cabela's arctic weight base layer, heavy windproof fleece scent blocker pants and coat with a heated vest underneath. Then I put my iwom suit as my outer layer. I will always be cold by the 4hour. Figure I'd try the heater and see what that does

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
No matter how warm I dress I still get cold. For Temps like what I'll hunt in on Sat (9 degrees) I'll wear my heavy cabela's arctic weight base layer, heavy windproof fleece scent blocker pants and coat with a heated vest underneath. Then I put my iwom suit as my outer layer. I will always be cold by the 4hour. Figure I'd try the heater and see what that does
Geez, with all that on you will look like the michelin man, how are you going to move?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Everybody's temperature tolerance is different. If the cold bothers you while hunting, do whatever to stay warm, including using a heater. On the other hand, if you are a tough old buzzard like wildcatter, go naked if you want. ;) Great, now I will have that picture in my mind for the rest of the day. :(

·
Registered
112 Posts
I use the bigger one in all three of my blinds, especially when i'm hunting with my eight year old grandson. Doesn't both the deer one bit. Like previously said, won't be in shorts and a tee shirt, but you won't freeze either, especially good for hand warming. Don't let anyone shame you into not using one either !

·
Registered
MK-XB58 Kraken / Hawke 3-9x50 parallax, mildot
2,840 Posts
I just read the tag off my new DB SV 360 blind. It says nothing about toxic coatings. Says flame retardant but not flame proof. Gives the usual warnings about smoking in the blind, etc. Usual lawyer stuff. Leave a window partially open and you should be good to go.
as i see it, cant be sure tho; if the material it self is not inflammable, or fire resistent, like wool or cotton, then its coated with bad staff thats not healthy

·
Registered
MK-XB58 Kraken / Hawke 3-9x50 parallax, mildot
2,840 Posts
You guy's are joken right???? I have never in my life carried a furnace with me and called myself hunting, I always dress for it! 9* fer high is excellent hunting weather, but I cant believe what some call hunting when a furnace is involved, hell I love hunting in these temps though, never dreamed of putting a furnace in my blind, I can't see how it could do anything but run the biguns off, I save that chit fer when I get home, makes me sleep better, ;)

View attachment 216166

View attachment 216167

View attachment 216169

You guy's gotta tell me how this is done, "as Bob Dillon said, "the times they are changin", who'd a ever thunk it, :censored:
you know whats the best part of that: no mosquitos

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Everybody's temperature tolerance is different. If the cold bothers you while hunting, do whatever to stay warm, including using a heater. On the other hand, if you are a tough old buzzard like wildcatter, go naked if you want. ;) Great, now I will have that picture in my mind for the rest of the day. :(
I'll bail you out there w-r, not naked going in, but only base layers thats for sure, first thing you learn when you spend the time outside in the cold I do is how and when to put it on, then buying the best for the job is critical, Ice fishing gear is not cold weather hunting gear!! I love 10 and 15 below, and this is -5 stopping to strip down and get a pic, on the way out, but over heating before I get to the truck with a buddy, after hours in single digits but I know how to prepare for it, and in 67 years that never included a furnace!
Camouflage Military camouflage Tree Marines Wood

I just know he is wearing all that chit on the way in, heating up creating moisture underneath and defeating the whole purpose of layering! It is impossible to dress like your going to to stay warm motionless and then walk in and set up that same way, it will never work, and a heater will make it more uncomfortable!

I use to walk in over 1 mile and get there before start time when I hunted Cody hollow, a walk that took you slowly 100 feet in elevation back into the head of a hollow that was surrounded by a ridge over 200 feet from their to private property on the back side. I had one medium backpack just for my hunting pants and parka, with a fleece pants and turtle neck for what I wore in.

Next is boots, I don't even put my wools on till I get where I'm hunting, just thin liners and never cotton! If guy's go in comfortable by the time they get there it's to late they will already be over heated, and it's downhill from their. When I leave the truck I want be a little chili, by the time I get setup I'll still wait for bit to put my heavy wool socks and fleece on, and then in time the whitetail extreme pants and Parka, unzipped for a while, but will leave the under arm vent and chest vents unzipped, in 0 weather and no wind, I might not zip them shut all day, if I do it it is usually because my setup is getting some breezes.

Cotton anything is a no no, and most get cold because of to much clothing, not to little, but even at 67 years young, I do rely on warmers for one thing,, my hands, only using wool liners under fleece jersey style gloves till I have been setup for a while, then like the rest of the dress, it's time to change into my Mad Dog Gear fleece mittens with high tech liners that come with them, and seldom are those heat packets needed.

But biggest mistake most make is dressing to spend the day setting, then trying to move in that dear,,, it don't work, and if you think it does, trust me you don't know what comfort is! I can stay warm, but today the joints are going to get stiff no matter what, and heat even in an ice shanty, just seizes me even more!

PS: I almost forgot, I wont wear a heavy stocking cap in either, that get's put on after I've settled in as well, not venting the top of your head till settled in is another no no, maybe a light cap like welding scull sap, but usually better to wait till your setti9ng to cover that chimney! Like I say, if you dress to set all day,,, buddy you better be setting once it goes on!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I am not wearing all that on my walk in. I carry my coat, heated vest and iwom. I wait a bit to cool down from the walk in then start putting my layers on. I'd die before I made it to the blind if I wore all that walking 3/4 mile into the woods.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
My point is you should be carrying it all in, if your walking in 3/4 of a mile, you don't need anything on carrying your gear.

I mean I would go in with my thermal Cabela's union suite, older thin non cotton material, regular pants, and a open sweatshirt on top, I always use a liner T shirt under armor under my thermal union suite on top. Even then I take breaks, if you have to cool down when you get there, thats your biggest problem staying warm. Never be warm starting out or getting their, if you do your over dressed or in to big a hurry getting their.

I done this for years back when we really had winter,, this chit ain't even close! I made the same mistakes anyone else does, and like w-r said, we are all different, but anytime you start out cooling down, yer back'n up, and need to find what adjustment you need to make to stay cool till you get their, never be room temperature comfortable. When I would add that fleece, I felt better, but when I put that White-Tail Extreme pants that used full zip legs and wader suspenders, and the Parka that has several zipper vents in it, thats when I started to warm up and use those vets in the chest and under the arms to control how warm I allowed myself to get. I knew better that to try and get living room comfortable, once that happened, things were going to go south, and if the sun came out I started shedding, even in single digits. But never alloow yourself to get where you need to cool down, or it's over!

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Chris I used to make that walk in a mile in under an hour in fall weather, this time of year, I left the truck 2 hours before sunup, That give me 1.5 hours before start time, and many mornings, we still were not at our stands, but took are time and one day I remember killing a doe that came in on me taking a break, and finally caught here licking snow of the pine trees and shot here off my knees two or three trees away shooing under their canopy, that morning it was about 12-15 below on the weather station, and a hunt that I will never forget! took me about 5 minuets to find where the noise was coming from without moving enough that I would spook here. But slowing down taking breaks getting there will not only keep you from needing to cool down, but can work in your favor this time of year.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Chris I used to make that walk in a mile in under an hour in fall weather, this time of year, I left the truck 2 hours before sunup, That give me 1.5 hours before start time, and many mornings, we still were not at our stands, but took are time and one day I remember killing a doe that came in on me taking a break, and finally caught here licking snow of the pine trees and shot here off my knees two or three trees away shooing under their canopy, that morning it was about 12-15 below on the weather station, and a hunt that I will never forget! took me about 5 minuets to find where the noise was coming from without moving enough that I would spook here. But slowing down taking breaks getting there will not only keep you from needing to cool down, but can work in your favor this time of year.
Makes sense thanks for the info

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'll bail you out there w-r, not naked going in, but only base layers thats for sure, first thing you learn when you spend the time outside in the cold I do is how and when to put it on, then buying the best for the job is critical, Ice fishing gear is not cold weather hunting gear!! I love 10 and 15 below, and this is -5 stopping to strip down and get a pic, on the way out, but over heating before I get to the truck with a buddy, after hours in single digits but I know how to prepare for it, and in 67 years that never included a furnace!
View attachment 216220

I just know he is wearing all that chit on the way in, heating up creating moisture underneath and defeating the whole purpose of layering! It is impossible to dress like your going to to stay warm motionless and then walk in and set up that same way, it will never work, and a heater will make it more uncomfortable!

I use to walk in over 1 mile and get there before start time when I hunted Cody hollow, a walk that took you slowly 100 feet in elevation back into the head of a hollow that was surrounded by a ridge over 200 feet from their to private property on the back side. I had one medium backpack just for my hunting pants and parka, with a fleece pants and turtle neck for what I wore in.

Next is boots, I don't even put my wools on till I get where I'm hunting, just thin liners and never cotton! If guy's go in comfortable by the time they get there it's to late they will already be over heated, and it's downhill from their. When I leave the truck I want be a little chili, by the time I get setup I'll still wait for bit to put my heavy wool socks and fleece on, and then in time the whitetail extreme pants and Parka, unzipped for a while, but will leave the under arm vent and chest vents unzipped, in 0 weather and no wind, I might not zip them shut all day, if I do it it is usually because my setup is getting some breezes.

Cotton anything is a no no, and most get cold because of to much clothing, not to little, but even at 67 years young, I do rely on warmers for one thing,, my hands, only using wool liners under fleece jersey style gloves till I have been setup for a while, then like the rest of the dress, it's time to change into my Mad Dog Gear fleece mittens with high tech liners that come with them, and seldom are those heat packets needed.

But biggest mistake most make is dressing to spend the day setting, then trying to move in that dear,,, it don't work, and if you think it does, trust me you don't know what comfort is! I can stay warm, but today the joints are going to get stiff no matter what, and heat even in an ice shanty, just seizes me even more!

PS: I almost forgot, I wont wear a heavy stocking cap in either, that get's put on after I've settled in as well, not venting the top of your head till settled in is another no no, maybe a light cap like welding scull sap, but usually better to wait till your setti9ng to cover that chimney! Like I say, if you dress to set all day,,, buddy you better be setting once it goes on!
this is why he stays warm..... like i said, most of the hunters that get cold don't dress for the weather. my backpack for winter hunting holds 3 cubic feet of clothes. when i walk in i feel a little chilled at first and it is 20 minutes before i feel the first tinge of being warm .sweat is a killer.even dressed for only 40 deg. weather for the walk in i am breaking a sweat after 30 minutes of walking.
i only use cotton gloves because gloves are so inadequate compared to a good mitten.i only wear the gloves when the mittens are too bulky and it's too cold for bare hands. a chemical handwarmer makes the mittens always warm. something about warm hands that warms up your whole body. if i use a coat pocket for warming my hand is in a stocking cap with a handwarmer.
first 1/2 hour i sit bareheaded to evaporate any moisture. then i wear something that covers my neck, ears , chin and forehead. huge losses of heat from your head and neck. it will catch up to you after 2 hrs. of sitting. that first 1/2 hour i don't always fully dress and if i do everything is wide open to evaporate any moisture. i guess i got all this figured out before portable blinds [and heaters] were a thing.
i will mention underwear and then i am done for a while. under armour ''coldgear'' in # 4 is absolutely worth the over $100 price tag. it makes at least a 15 deg. difference in outside air temp to what i used to wear and replaces cotton thermal underwear, flannel shirt, and a heavy sweater. the stuff is magic

·
Registered
22 Posts
Like others have said, I'll take some heavy clothing off for the walk in, then put stuff back on, and light my heater as needed. Every little bit helps.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Works awesome on very frigid days. I'm sitting in that blind about 20 yards away and deer and they are never bothered by any odor produced from that propane heater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 37 of 37 Posts