Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has been discussed many times but have a question concerning arrow weight and accuracy. Seems most bow manufacturers provide arrows with 100 gr points and weight including point around 400 gr. I have been shooting the EVO-X from Ten Point with 150 gr field point. I know it slows things down but is there an advantage or disadvantage using that setup vs using100 gr field point? Just curious. Main reason for sighting in and shooting heavy setup is I plan on using a heavier broad head this year 150 gr SEVR Robusto

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
In my experience, an arrow with <0.003" runout and with >15% FOC will shoot within 3MOA. This takes into consideration that the crossbow and components are well tuned and in sound mechanical condition.

Reactions: SEW

·
Registered
262 Posts
Total arrow weight has very lil too do with accuracy aka group sizes.

Being properly tuned (bow) and having straight arrows with straight components, all arrows being close too matching weights and not underspined.

I shoot 556 grain logs and they dont group any tighter then the 360/400 grain arrows I started with. They both group super tight. Long as I do what I should be doing.

Now they do penetrate better then the lighter arrows did in my targets.

I prefer heavier inserts and adding insert weights too build up my total arrow weight. That way I can use any 100 grain broadhead, should I find myself in a jam and needing broadheads asap/right this second.

·
13,210 Posts
Faster is flatter ... and flatter is more accurate. It's no more precise, but it is more accurate. Unless you're hunting rhinoceroses your crossbow has 5 times the energy, momentum and penetration to kill a cervid. Extra heavy arrows are like using a D11 Caterpillar to replace the grass on your front lawn. :rolleyes: :)

·
4,040 Posts
Everything posted here is true. But the question is one more accurate than the other. I have shot allot of bows in my life. So far if the deer or target is 30,40,50 yds and so on away. I need to know that. Now maybe these hyper fast bows isn’t like that. If so it’s sure gonna put a hurtin on these smart scopes. But seems I recall some smart scopes on some fast bows :).

We know a heavier arrow penetrates deeper into the target. So that implies it’s less affected by outside forces. So this means it’s less affected by the wind or a small branch. Example you put a 1/4” piece of plywood 10 yds in front of your target. A lighter arrow is deflected. While a heavier arrows blows through and hit its mark. Your hunting and it’s windy as it is so many times. There is a point where a lighter arrow will get squirrely while a heavier arrow might just lean. One might have a 2” miss while the other might be 4”.

So my back yard early morning no wind shooting. Will be different that after noon windy shooting. I have noticed a heavier arrow bucks the wind better. The difference in speed is off set by me needing to know the range regardless. Unless it’s inside 30 yds.

If a broadhead as most do has a different poi from field tips. There again it is being affected by outside forces the greater the forces the greater the shot will drift. The heavier arrow will lessen this along with a broadhead that has less drag or wings.

This is why it’s so hard for me to get away from the 170 gr FOC broadhead. When I put a target up and shoot one or two arrows a day at all times of the day. For a week or two it out shoots other heads.

Anywho lol just my experience.

·
13,210 Posts
I’m finding that significantly increased FOC has improved grouping, increases penetration, reduces the amount of vane guidance needed, increases BC significantly, is quieter and greatly reduces xwind effects. This is out of the enclosed barrel and open barrel’d crossbows.
Improved ... from what groups size to what group size and at what ranges? And is that amount of improvement worth the drop in speed to target, increased arc, and decrease of Point Blank Range envelope? At least within say 50 yards where 99.9% of deer are shot at. Then too launch speed will play with the results as well.

Reactions: Lettem Walk

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I’m finding that significantly increased FOC has improved grouping, increases penetration, reduces the amount of vane guidance needed, increases BC significantly, is quieter and greatly reduces xwind effects. This is out of the enclosed barrel and open barrel’d crossbows.
Please; what is BC?
"Increases BC significantly" :unsure:o_O

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For me just trying be as accurate as possible, especially shooting free hand. I know a 100 gr or 125 gr head will do the trick. I have shot alot of deer using those, both with vertical bows and crossbows. I admit I like close in shots majority of my deer taken have been under 30 yds many under 20yds. I purchased the Fury 410 which is much faster than my previous crossbow. Guess I should have phased question are heavier setups better for the 400fps and faster crossbows.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Please; what is BC?
"Increases BC significantly" :unsure:o_O
Ballistic Coefficient. Since a crossbow shaft is already low at about .055 to begin with I don’t see a lot of improvement available.when it’s already that low.

If heavier means slower then more drop should decrease BC imo when calculating - I think.

·
Registered
15,575 Posts
All I require is a heavy enough arrow for total penetration. Out of my 305 fps Excalibur I get complete pass-thrus so I know my other two (faster) crossbows will work fine with the same weight arrows. All of my arrows with 100 gr tips weigh @ 425 grains. I try keeping all my shots at 35 yards or less but will take a 45 yard shot at times.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Where I hunt the average shot distance is close to double what it is where most hunters are. My preference is a heavier arrow that carries the speed further and helps with the wind too.

·
6,269 Posts
I just started shooting at the range so more detailed info will come later. I haven’t shot the Excal in likely 2 weeks. Here is the 1st shot with no adjustments. 50 yards, Boo’s arrows, AV 3s, 20” Zombies, 375g points, the new 2x7 KI scope, sighted in at 20, dialed to 50 and set on lowest setting (340 but arrow is appx 290 best I remember). The markings in this scope are not Brian’s but the original but are excellent 20-50 then progressively off 60-. This scope was dead on with 440g arrows, these are 710 so the BC made up for the difference.
Brian had calculated with hIs Lab Radar a surprising increase. We both have noted much flatter trajectories than expected and very little velocity decay. More coming.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts