Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled upon this old thread: https://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=62200 and it got me thinking, I could easily do this. Modeling it up in SolidWorks will only take me a matter of minutes. I don't have my own 3D printer but these days you can send a file, and pay someone to print and ship it to you.

DSC_0291crop~2.jpg
DSC_0292~2.jpg
DSC_0293~2.jpg

So I contacted a local company, gave them rough dimensions and they said it would cost roughly $30 for one, and as low as $10 each if I got 10+ made and did some optimization for printing. Easy.

So I figured I'd stick my neck out here and see if any others are interested. I'd gather interest and once I know final number, would get an accurate quote, get all of them shipped to me, then ship out to the individuals. I'd only ask actual cost each and not need to make a dime off this. Will print out of one of the more durable 3D print materials and print them all in black. Individuals can later sand and paint to desired color, or leave as-is.

PM or reply here if interested. Serious inquiries only, I'm figuring each will probably land somewhere between $15 and $25 all said and done.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After modelling it up and getting a quote on the actual file, the cost came down quite a bit. I ordered 4 total at $9.30 each to my door after shipping and tax. So after adding a hardware, I figure I can send to anyone that is interested for $15 to your door. I am having them made black.

Here is how I have it looking after modeling. Almost identical to shafferm's except I rounded the bottom corners a bit more.

cheek_rest.png

I also found a follow-up thread that shafferm posted in where he did get a picture of what it looks like on a micro stock made with black material:
black rest.jpg

So the ones I am having made will look pretty much identical.

Again, anyone that wants to claim one for $15 shipped to your door, let me know and you got one. I won't be making a dime off these.

This initial run I know for sure will fit all Micro's. I am not sure about Matrix or Bulldog since I don't have one to measure and compare. Looking at pics of current Bulldog's excals website they sure look the same though. I will size them next time I get to a store if there is any interest.

And I'm sure after using mine some I'll figure out some ways to improve it. Likely will do something different to make the hardware a little more low profile. For now the nuts will probably be external though.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Minor point... I had one made by my son in law with a slight notch cut out on the rear because I am lefty and the C2 crank release won't work with it on the right side of the stock. Might check for clearance if you are using a C2 since your design has a 'plate' on the right side. It would be a quick Dremel job to cut a notch but my SIL had just gotten a 3D printer and was looking for something to make.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Minor point... I had one made by my son in law with a slight notch cut out on the rear because I am lefty and the C2 crank release won't work with it on the right side of the stock. Might check for clearance if you are using a C2 since your design has a 'plate' on the right side. It would be a quick Dremel job to cut a notch but my SIL had just gotten a 3D printer and was looking for something to make.
Great input. Unfortunately they have already been made, and will be shipped to me soon. I don't have a C2 crank either, but you are correct it should notch easy for anyone that needs to.

Do you have any pics of the one you made? Like how it is working so far?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3 of 4 claimed so far.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Here's a picture of mine after a hard season...the paint is wearing.
The notch does not have to be as big as he made it but no harm. He was just copying what I had and going by memory how big to make it.
20191210_120747.jpg

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a picture of mine after a hard season...the paint is wearing.
The notch does not have to be as big as he made it but no harm. He was just copying what I had and going by memory how big to make it. View attachment 160808
That look really nice. Do you have height adjustment built into it?

Reactions: smong2000

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
That look really nice. Do you have height adjustment built into it?
Thanks, wish the camo was a better match but I was just going to paint it brown until I saw all the partial rattle cans in my garage and then I went to town.

Didn't need it adjustable, the fit is perfect for me with low rings. It has a solid bar on the back that I drilled for my screws. The height could be adjusted by drilling the holes lower on the piece if desired.

Last thing I have to do before next season is make one that I can put a rubber coating on so it doesn't make a loud noise if it hits a zipper or snap.

So many cool projects can be made on a 3D printer, just limited by imagination.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got them delivered this week. Really happy with how they turned out. Have one left to send to whoever wants it. $12 TYD is all (without hardware). Uses 1/4" or 6mm hardware of your choosing. I recommend a good wide washer like I used.

IMG_20191214_172311.jpg

IMG_20191214_172247.jpg

IMG_20191214_172225.jpg

·
Registered
69 Posts
Doesn't the hardware get in the way of your cheek weld?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Doesn't the hardware get in the way of your cheek weld?
Nope, I've yet to make contact with the hardware and I've been putting lots of down pressure on it, trying different angles and placements.

Last one is called for. Anyone that comes across this in the future and wants one, PM me and once I get a few to make shipping from the printer worthwhile I'll have more made. I'll also be tweaking the shape of it as I use mine more, which I already know I want to round the top corners some more. Might even recess the slot so that the hardware won't stick out anyway.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nope, I've yet to make contact with the hardware and I've been putting lots of down pressure on it, trying different angles and placements.

Last one is called for. Anyone that comes across this in the future and wants one, PM me and once I get a few to make shipping from the printer worthwhile I'll have more made. I'll also be tweaking the shape of it as I use mine more, which I already know I want to round the top corners some more. Might even recess the slot so that the hardware won't stick out anyway.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes recessing the slot would work well.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got a couple made in next version and I must say it is so much better. Waiting for a couple more samples in some other colors. But this thing is pretty much a must when using an HHA Optimizer, unless you already a built up pad on yours. And when set down all the way its perfect alignment height for the low factory scopes. I've never understood Excals cheek rest only being 1/4" raised from the stock.

IMG_20200209_113602.jpg

IMG_20200210_183943.jpg

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Would you send it to germany? I will pay for shipping!
Yes absolutely. I was just holding off on taking requests until I could get all the color options together.

Do you have any companies there that could 3D print for you? I could just send you the geometry file then. I don't want to make a dime on these things....just want to have fun making them better and available to others at a low cost.

Reactions: robertyb

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes absolutely. I was just holding off on taking requests until I could get all the color options together.

Do you have any companies there that could 3D print for you? I could just send you the geometry file then. I don't want to make a dime on these things....just want to have fun making them better and available to others at a low cost.
Yes there should be any company. I will search one.
I am absolut a no pro with PC and such things. I only own a smartphone :D

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes there should be any company. I will search one.
I am absolut a no pro with PC and such things. I only own a smartphone :D
No problem at all. If you can forward an email you can handle getting whoever the file they need.

And of course if that doesn't work out I would ship to Germany.

And @smong2000 I just got my Charger EXT tonight and there are zero clearance issues with this cheek rest whatsoever.

Reactions: Dominic13

·
Happy Member
5,468 Posts
Are those made of plastic? Do you have a brown colored one? How much?

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are those made of plastic? Do you have a brown colored one? How much?

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk
Yes plastic, specifically 3D printed PETG, which is more durable than traditional 3D printed plastics. I've got the green so far that you see in the pic, and also currently have a lighter brown but it's not a good match so I don't even want to post a pic. PM me for pic of that if anyone is interested.

Have a more medium brown and a black one in the new rounded profile that shipped to me today so I'll pics of those tomorrow.

The ones I have coming plus what I have here are called for already. But I'll order enough with my next batch once I get qty demand for each color that it'll be $15 to your door and that includes the 2 binding screw posts.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts