Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name's Terry. I live in Dillingham, Alaska, on the north shore of Bristol Bay. It's been home for the past 18 years and most of my adult life has been spent in rural AK.

I'm a lifelong educator, first in public schools and for the past 13 years as the education and outreach guy for Togiak National Wildlife Refuge (USFWS). We've got the fourth largest refuge in the System (560+ total) at almost 5 million acres. It's a wild 5 million acres too, with no roads and access being by plane, boat or snowmachine.

I've hunted my whole life, and been fortunate to harvest my share of whitetails, moose, and caribou, and a few bears (black and brown) to boot. I have a first trip to Africa planned for a daddy/daughter hunt, and I'm really excited about that. I've killed animals with centerfire rifles (I favor lever actions), pistol, and bow and arrow. I've never held a crossbow much less shot one, and thought it seemed like a something worth trying. I did a lot of research on various "bargain" models and eventually went with PSE Fang that I picked up on eBay new in the box from an archery shop for under $200. The tracker shows it should be here tomorrow or Wednesday, so I'm looking forward to this week. I've got a scope on the way, and plan to repurpose some 2219s for arrows (bolts?), with moon clips also on the way. (I've always put together my own arrows and favor aluminum) If I decide I like it, I might decide to take it on a fall caribou hunt, after first passing the hunter education test required in AK. My youngest daughter loves to hunt as well, and I plan to include her as I dip my toe into the waters of crossbows.

I am originally from central Kansas - born, raised, college. After graduating I yearned for a place with more mountains, more critters, and fewer people... so Alaska it has been.

I'm a die-hard Royals and Chiefs fan; last year was a very, very good year. Every tent I pitch while hunting has a Chiefs flag flying from it. Do what you do in style or don't do it at all.

The photo is last week on a fly-in spring bear hunt. No bears were killed but it was still a grand time. Hunting and camping is always a grand time. Never take for granted the time you get to spend outside.

Happy Memorial Day everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately, CT, it already has. We were to be there the last two weeks of April. But it's all good. The tickets are good for two years, and the outfitter over there we'll be hunting with said however long it takes, our deposits are good. Maybe later this fall, but next spring seems more likely. It'll happen. ;):D

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Welcome, AK_Taxidermist, to the wonderful world of crossbow shooting.
I hope your Daughter and yourself get to live your dream soon enough!
Cheers,
dynamo61

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Welcome to the boards. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts

Reactions: robertyb

·
Registered
100 Posts
Welcome Terry, from southeastern Pa. Even if you don't kill a bear it's better than being inside, Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts