Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am embarrassed to post out of ignorance - but I am new to Crossbows and have taken quite an interest in them. I recently just purchased a CenterPoint Sniper 370. No, I have never used a Crossbow before (though I am acclimated to rifles) From the reviews it seemed like a great entry-level Bow. I have been watching YT vids and reading as much as I can. Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be GREATLY appreciated.

Bolts, Broadheads, Field Tips, etc...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Welcome. That was my first crossbow about 3 years ago also. I purchased carbon express mayhem bolts for it and they greatly improved accuracy. However since joining this group they have put me onto spynal tapps that I recently ordered for my new xbow.

I shoot NAP spitfire maxx with the chisel point not coc. This advice was given to me by a personal contact and not the forum. I can say in my limited experience they have been great. Some on here like the tru glo that has been getting some good real world reviews.

Also on my sniper I did a trigger job myself as it was HORRIBLE from the factory. And I put on a nikon bolt crossbow scope. The factory sniper scope was also horrible but as a rifle shooter I'm a bit of a scope snob. The factory scope seemed to hold zero ok but the adjustments were not at all reliable.

Oh and welcome! Good bunch of folks here all more knowledgeable than myself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Gab !

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I will check out the CEM Bolts. Someone on one of the YT channels recommended them as well. I also heard BEE is good? I have heard a few complaints about the trigger and I have also heard about people upgrading their glass. I know what what you mean about being a scope snob - but only on my AR for now as I use an EOTech on one. Great glass makes a difference. I was thinking a red dot but not sure.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. It's greatly appreciated !

·
Registered
146 Posts
don't quote me on this but I believe BEE is what spynal tapp uses for their shafts. So I believe they are also very good. I just don't have any personal experience. But I am convinced these guys at Tapp know what they're doing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Custom Arrows - South Shore Archery if you want to give those guys a shout. Eric has taken great care of me on 2 occasions in the last week.
Gab,

Thanks so much ! I just received an email from Eric and what he recommended:
Spynal Tapps, Thorn Head Mechanical, fixed the thorn crowns, qad exodus and slick trick x bow heads. Scorpion venom for rail lube and black lightning wax.

Looks like I will be putting in a very sizable order next week.

I'm extremely excited to get started. Until then, I will be learning all I can.

PS Those bikes in your avatar are beautiful.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hello, I am from Vermont also and own the Sniper 370 and also created the trigger modification video on youtube. My daughter just shot 2 deer this year with the sniper with the trigger modification. She likes the Sniper 370 better then the Wicked Ridge 370 because of TDRx trigger modification, the trigger allows her to shoot much more accurate.

I ordered bolts from South shore archery all spine indexed they shoot amazing, so didn't the Bloodsport Witness arrows, they also shot well.

I currently find the Tru Glow Titanium x4 to shoot best out of this bow but so don't the other big name broadheads. I do caution you to shoot the actual head and arrow you intend to hunt with.

Overall the Sniper is the best $800 crossbow for $250. You won't be disappointed, especially after the trigger modification. You can also change your own string and cables with a screw driver only.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello, I am from Vermont also and own the Sniper 370 and also created the trigger modification video on youtube. My daughter just shot 2 deer this year with the sniper with the trigger modification. She likes the Sniper 370 better then the Wicked Ridge 370 because of TDRx trigger modification, the trigger allows her to shoot much more accurate.

I ordered bolts from South shore archery all spine indexed they shoot amazing, so didn't the Bloodsport Witness arrows, they also shot well.

I currently find the Tru Glow Titanium x4 to shoot best out of this bow but so don't the other big name broadheads. I do caution you to shoot the actual head and arrow you intend to hunt with.

Overall the Sniper is the best $800 crossbow for $250. You won't be disappointed, especially after the trigger modification. You can also change your own string and cables with a screw driver only.
Hi Plotmaster !

Good to meet a fellow Vermonter on here! Where are you from? I am near Manchester, Vermont. Hopefully I will be able to get out there by next year. I found your video and subscribed. I will be watching it in an hour or so. Looking forward to it!

My black 370 was extremely hard to find so I paid a bit more than the usual price. They were back ordered for months so I decided to pay the higher price. I looked at a few others, but the reviews on the Sniper for the price are great and it seems like an amazing bow for a beginner.

Thank you so much for the recommendations! I have quite a lot to order and will order some of what you recommended as well. Also, I saw that video with the screwdriver today. Amazing !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome to camp. I have a Sniper and I love it. I upgraded the scope and did a trigger job. You will love how it shoots when the trigger is redone.
Hi Thomas,

Thank you for taking the time to write. What did you install for a new trigger and scope? I was thinking of going for a red dot...but not sure.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I put on a Nikon Bolt scope. I ordered a trigger kit from Rich on here. He goes TX_RDXguy.
You will love how the trigger breaks and how the travel is shorter. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I put on a Nikon Bolt scope. I ordered a trigger kit from Rich on here. He goes TX_RDXguy.
You will love how the trigger breaks and how the travel is shorter. I hope this helps.
Thanks, Thomas!

I heard the Nikon was a great scope. I will check it out right now!

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I got mine off eBay for cheap. The seller wanted something else. I’m really happy with mine. It gathers light pretty good when it’s getting dark.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Plotmaster !

Good to meet a fellow Vermonter on here! Where are you from? I am near Manchester, Vermont. Hopefully I will be able to get out there by next year. I found your video and subscribed. I will be watching it in an hour or so. Looking forward to it!

My black 370 was extremely hard to find so I paid a bit more than the usual price. They were back ordered for months so I decided to pay the higher price. I looked at a few others, but the reviews on the Sniper for the price are great and it seems like an amazing bow for a beginner.

Thank you so much for the recommendations! I have quite a lot to order and will order some of what you recommended as well. Also, I saw that video with the screwdriver today. Amazing !
I have shot my sniper 370 thousands of times and have replaced the string 3 times with the screw driver trick, it works that easy. As for the scope I upgraded to a trophy ridge xv530 speed compensation scope. This bow allows me to shoot allot in my back yard for practice, it's affordable and kills deer amazingly well

I am just outside of Montpelier area. It's pretty cool Vermont has allowed crossbows. My 10 year old daughter can now hunt the nicest time of year, it's truly a fun new hobby. Good luck, you will love your new purchase.

·
Registered
13,740 Posts
Welcome to the boards. :)

Reactions: Vance Savage
1 - 19 of 19 Posts