Crossbow Nation banner

hello

634 views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Venture Grim 
#1 ·
new to crossbows. due to age and health issues i am no longer able to pull my regular bow to full draw so i purchased a cross bow, Center point heat 425. I have shot enough to get it sighted in with field points and it shoots great. I am looking for info on broadheads. I have always been a fixed blade NAPthunder head 125 guy. I have read alot of articles talking about crossbows that are 400 FPS and up are very sensitive to broadhead selection. so I am looking for some suggestions here.

#2 ·
Welcome aboard the CBN train. There is a lot of knowledgeable people here who can give you a lot of information on whatever you may need.

As far as broadheads go, I like the Rage Trypan 150 gr. So far, they have killed everything they have hit. I am sure some of the other guys here have differing opinions.

#4 ·
Ditto on my transition to crossbows. I actually thought I’d only gun hunt rather than buying one of these contraptions.

I shot a good bit of indoor, NFAA outdoor, and 3D over the years. Spent lots of time tuning my bows , and I was able to find fixed BHs that hit the same spot as target tips. Different story with crossbows since the arrow slides down the rail the whole shot execution. With crossbows, I can get very consistent flight from several fixed heads, but I have to sight in with fixed and then only shoot the fixed to check zero during hunting season. So I went with mechanicals. At these incredible speeds, they easily open. After two crossbow seasons , I shot on about 20 deer and the longest blood trail was maybe 70 yards.

I do buy expensive stuff, but these work great and American made. But they look and feel cheap.

good luck!

Reactions: AJ01
#5 ·
Howdy, and "Welcome" to the Forum from Texas. (y)

As "Ode1891" has stated, fixed can be problematic with high speeds. I shoot them, but with custom made arrows, and then once sighted in with them, shoot nothing but them.
I think you will find mechanicals easier to "fly" than the fixed.
I like the original 100 grain "Green Head" Swhackers. I've killed a ton of deer-sized game with them.
And they don't break the bank.
But you need to see what your bow likes.
Find one that gives you confidence in your ability. Find what you and the bow shoot well.
Once that is accomplished go sight it in with the BLADE you're gonna hunt with, not just the practice head and then go hunt!!

The fixed I shoot are 150gr VPA's. In my opinion, the best 3 blade on the market.

Reactions: Dirt fahmah
#7 · (Edited)
Lots of people use fixed, just haven’t seen your text. Maybe create another post with your BH question as the post title. From what I remember, most guys who shoot fixed, sight in with fixed and adjust their zero. But many use fixed.

some mechanicals, like the el cheapos I use, have rubber gasket rings that have to be assembled as indicated in the instructions. It’s not complicated. If done wrong, they may pop open in flight. But there are others $45 and up for 3 that have no additional parts that are flawless. Grim reaper xbow heads are great. Or sight in with NAP thunderheads, and be done—just practice with them on a BH target.

Reactions: AJ01
#9 ·
Welcome to the boards. My 425 likes the china made rage hypodermics. I'm a firm believer in mechanical broadheads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.