Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been an AT member for a little now and I've decided to get a crossbow (first one) for hunting so I thought I would create an account here to get some feedback. I've been doing a lot of research on crossbows over the past couple of months. My budget is around $1500 for a ready to shoot setup. Main use will be hunting in the northeast. I am looking for something reliable that will last me a good number of years with proper maintenance. I've narrowed it down to the following: Mission Sub 1/1xr, Tenpoint S400 or Ravin R10. I think all three are good bows and they are similar in price point. I haven't shot any of them yet because of the covid closures. I'd like to make a decision and order one soon. I've chatted with Dave at Wyvern and Nolan at Burkholder and they have both been great to share information/knowledge. But, I still can't decide on which one to get. What do you guys/gals think? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
That's a good group to pick from but the Viper S400 wins in almost all areas of comparison and it's the only one that truly has a SAFE cocking and decocking system.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have done business with Dave at Wyvern Creations and he is a great guy to deal with. If you were to have a problem Dave would go to bat for you. I bought my last two crossbows from him and could not be happier.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I dont know where you came up with the idea that you have an idea of what is best. Thought this was your first?
Your not looking for insight, you are looking for someone to build your case it seems.
None of the bows you listed will meet the specs as you listed them. So you obviously dont know what your choices are, in terms of matching your desires.
Many here shoot what you have listed and they will slap you on the back and say good choice but the fact of the matter is that none of the ones you listed meet your requirements.
Good Luck. Best Wishes!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont know where you came up with the idea that you have an idea of what is best. Thought this was your first?
Your not looking for insight, you are looking for someone to build your case it seems.
None of the bows you listed will meet the specs as you listed them. So you obviously dont know what your choices are, in terms of matching your desires.
Many here shoot what you have listed and they will slap you on the back and say good choice but the fact of the matter is that none of the ones you listed meet your requirements.
Good Luck. Best Wishes!
Wow, ok. I don't know why you seem frustrated with my post. Yes, I am new to this. My list of crossbows is the result of me doing a lot of reading and research and reaching out to experts for info. I never said the bows I listed were the best?? Just the three options I thought might fit my needs and budget. Thanks anyway.

·
Happy Member
5,277 Posts
Best thing you can do is put that guy on ignore! Reading is much more enjoyable without him! Good luck on your search!

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
Good Luck. Best Wishes!
All I see listed in his post is to come in around $1500. Are you reading another post somewhere?

" My budget is around $1500 for a ready to shoot setup. Main use will be hunting in the northeast. I am looking for something reliable that will last me a good number of years with proper maintenance. I've narrowed it down to the following: Mission Sub 1/1xr, Tenpoint S400 or Ravin R10. I think all three are good bows and they are similar in price point. "

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good Luck. Best Wishes!
Duh what the h! He’s just looking for input!! Dang you sure are negative!!

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Duh what the h! He’s just looking for input!! Dang you sure are negative!!
Sorry. Trying to add constructive content. Not attempting to be negative.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Hi all,

I've been an AT member for a little now and I've decided to get a crossbow (first one) for hunting so I thought I would create an account here to get some feedback. I've been doing a lot of research on crossbows over the past couple of months. My budget is around $1500 for a ready to shoot setup. Main use will be hunting in the northeast. I am looking for something reliable that will last me a good number of years with proper maintenance. I've narrowed it down to the following: Mission Sub 1/1xr, Tenpoint S400 or Ravin R10. I think all three are good bows and they are similar in price point. I haven't shot any of them yet because of the covid closures. I'd like to make a decision and order one soon. I've chatted with Dave at Wyvern and Nolan at Burkholder and they have both been great to share information/knowledge. But, I still can't decide on which one to get. What do you guys/gals think? Thanks for your help.

My advice is go to a bow shop and hold them checking for weight, length etc. What suits one may not suit another.
There may be a possibility that the bow shop may let you shoot the bow.
Consider the cost of up grades: better scope or a scope that suits you better, higher quality after market string and cables,
a press if you are not close to a dealer. Having and learning to use a press saves down time, travel or shipping costs. This
way one can tune the bow the way they wish.

All the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My advice is go to a bow shop and hold them checking for weight, length etc. What suits one may not suit another.
There may be a possibility that the bow shop may let you shoot the bow.
Consider the cost of up grades: better scope or a scope that suits you better, higher quality after market string and cables,
a press if you are not close to a dealer. Having and learning to use a press saves down time, travel or shipping costs. This
way one can tune the bow the way they wish.

All the best.
Take care.
Thanks bunnyrabbit. I agree, going and seeing and shooting all of these would be ideal it has just been hard or impossible because of all the covid precautions and closures. Things are slowly starting to open up here so I may be able to visit a shop soon.

I am definitely interested in getting a press too. Would be handy to have, especially in the uncertain times we are in now.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome here, GM!!!!

If ya wanna throw another in the mix, check out the threads on the KI Swat.....

As far as Leves......he's got his head up........ ego issues maybe.....who knows......lol Back to the corner, LA!!!!!
Thanks Ktown! It's good to be here.

And, thanks for the tip on the swat. I'll be sure to check it out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
As you continue your adventure with xbow selection think about HOW you plan to hunt and WHERE. When I came back to bowhunting about 5 years ago there was a lot of discussion about "feel" and "weight". Today I look back at that and know those two things in particular have less value than I had originally thought. Weight in particular. I paid more attention to "feel" and "balance". Why? Because of HOW I hunt.

Weight of these three bows wouldn't matter that much at all to me. 6.8 lbs or 7.6 lbs is a wash. The tree stands I hunt from all have rails and the blinds have tripods, bipods or built in rests to shot from so a fully dressed 8 lb bow or a 10 lb bow isn't critical in my world.

A heavier xbow almost always feels more stable when shot and generally it's quieter than a lighter bow of similar design and draw weight. The light weight in your mix is the Ravin and the heavyweight is the Sub-1 by .1 lb over the Viper. Balance is very similar for all so put that aside. If I were stalk hunting antelope, elk or goats, the weight element would have more value in the selection process.

The Ravin 10 is notably longer and makes a louder and sharper noise compared to either Sub-1 or Viper. It has a voracious appetite for string servings, something you won't see from the Sub-1 or Viper.

You mentioned the NE so make sure the choice you make fits the regulatory guidelines for those states. It seems to me that one of the NE states has a minimum width requirement.

Putting your hands on makes a great deal of sense and often, the right xbow will pick you. :giggle:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Ktown! It's good to be here.

And, thanks for the tip on the swat. I'll be sure to check it out.

Thanks!
As you continue your adventure with xbow selection think about HOW you plan to hunt and WHERE. When I came back to bowhunting about 5 years ago there was a lot of discussion about "feel" and "weight". Today I look back at that and know those two things in particular have less value than I had originally thought. Weight in particular. I paid more attention to "feel" and "balance". Why? Because of HOW I hunt.

Weight of these three bows wouldn't matter that much at all to me. 6.8 lbs or 7.6 lbs is a wash. The tree stands I hunt from all have rails and the blinds have tripods, bipods or built in rests to shot from so a fully dressed 8 lb bow or a 10 lb bow isn't critical in my world.

A heavier xbow almost always feels more stable when shot and generally it's quieter than a lighter bow of similar design and draw weight. The light weight in your mix is the Ravin and the heavyweight is the Sub-1 by .1 lb over the Viper. Balance is very similar for all so put that aside. If I were stalk hunting antelope, elk or goats, the weight element would have more value in the selection process.

The Ravin 10 is notably longer and makes a louder and sharper noise compared to either Sub-1 or Viper. It has a voracious appetite for string servings, something you won't see from the Sub-1 or Viper.

You mentioned the NE so make sure the choice you make fits the regulatory guidelines for those states. It seems to me that one of the NE states has a minimum width requirement.

Putting your hands on makes a great deal of sense and often, the right xbow will pick you. :giggle:
Thanks a bunch TX_RDX guy. This is really helpful. I will be mostly treestand and ground blind hunting. Weight is something to be aware of certainly but it's not going to a major deciding factor for me. I want something compact, accurate, fairly quiet and as reliable as possible. I plan to hold onto whatever I get for a while. The Ravin seems like the best value out of the three. But, the Viper is intriguing to me. The Sub 1 has been around a little while and I don't hear people say a lot of bad things about them. My thoughts keep changing on which one to get but I will eventually get there and hearing other people's thoughts and experiences is beneficial. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Thanks a bunch TX_RDX guy. This is really helpful. I will be mostly treestand and ground blind hunting. Weight is something to be aware of certainly but it's not going to a major deciding factor for me. I want something compact, accurate, fairly quiet and as reliable as possible. I plan to hold onto whatever I get for a while. The Ravin seems like the best value out of the three. But, the Viper is intriguing to me. The Sub 1 has been around a little while and I don't hear people say a lot of bad things about them. My thoughts keep changing on which one to get but I will eventually get there and hearing other people's thoughts and experiences is beneficial. Thanks again for your help.
That's what the forum is all about GM. You can make a great case the R10 is a nice value based on features and lower price but I'd argue that the Viper is the best value with the major improvements made in the cranking system and the micro-trac barrel. As a long term investment, it would be the Viper for me vs the near end of life R10 or Sub1.

The Sub 1 is solid but also not as narrow as I prefer and it's relatively expensive given the lack of an integrated cranking system and it's the slowest of the trio. Certainly has a pedigree for reliability and accuracy but all three of these xbows can make a solid case for reliability and accuracy.

Keep doing your homework and make a plan to see these bows in person if possible.

·
Registered
318 Posts
That was a lot of good information he gave you. I will talk about the Ravins. The R10 is the easiest on strings and cables. The R10 and R20 are easier to press than the R26 and R29. You don't have to remove the scope. The R26 and R29 are easier to handle in blinds because of size. None of the factory strings and cables hold up real well so you will need a press. After market strings do better but void warranty. They have improved factory string but I haven't used them so can't comment. The R20 is around $100 more than your budget on Ebay but gives you around 30 FPS over the R10 if that interest you. The 10 and 20 use the same scope ,limbs,cams,strings, cables, and arrows. The 20 has a little longer power stroke. They all are very accurate when tuned properly. I've had excellent service from Ravin factory. Hope this helps.:) Good Luck.(y)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts