Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you buy a Ten Point TL-7 w/scope or a Horton Hunter 175 w/scope at around $200.00 less then the TL-7? Both are new, this maybe a easy choice for some but I'am the new guy and I'am not sure. I would like a crossbow that will just put a deer down ,quick and quiet.

·
11,407 Posts
Either will put a deer down:)

Only you can make that decision. If you want to get in with the lowest price and that outweighs some subtle differences in quality, I think you answered your own question:) IMHO, I'd spend the extra $200.00.

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Help

Just my opinion for what it is worth. if Both bows are in good condition,Having handled and shot the TL 7, I would go with the Tenpoint.
But for the extra dollars,I am sure many would disagree.
Tenpoint is a quality company.However you might have to get over the being quiet thing.

·
329 Posts
03 marine,

if you want QUIET, go for a RECURVE.

NO compound that i've tried over the last few months is NEARLY as quiet as the Excalibur EXOCET.
(my hunting buddy bought one last year & my compound is MUCH louder. i may buy me an Exocet, too.)

Excalibur, Barnett & Horton all make NICE recurves.

also, may i suggest that you "check out" HORIZONTAL BOWHUNTER magazine on the worldwideweird??? LOTS of reviews on that website.

btw, did you get my private message???
yours, texasnative46

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
texasnative46 said:
03 marine,

if you want QUIET, go for a RECURVE.

NO compound that i've tried over the last few months is NEARLY as quiet as the Excalibur EXOCET.

I had the same opinion untill I got my Desert Stryker.
Sold the Excalibur,But the recurves are a lot better to work on at home or maybe in the field.

·
Banned
364 Posts
The Ten Point Curve is one great recurve crossbow. I chose it over a Excal Phoenix and I sure haven't regretted that decision!!

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Quote: if you want QUIET, go for a RECURVE.

I shoot both at appropriately 320 fps. and see no difference the two as far as noise is concerned. If anything the recurve is louder. I think that the string thickness and arrow weight will make somewhat of a difference in noise. Thicker strings and heavier arrows make for less noise (and velocity).
All in all quiet is relative where crossbows are concerned. I have yet to find ANY crossbow anywhere near as quiet as a compound vertical.

·
11,407 Posts
The shock of my life:)

was when I fired the first arrow out of my first crossbow, a TP Stealth X2:D It's all relative. Compared to the recurve vertical bows I had been shooting, it sounded like a cannon. I think it was Willie that said a while back: "a deer can hear them all":p If he didn't say it, it's still true. I would not worry about noise levels as much as how the crossbow shoots and feels although I'll admit, I do make some effort to quieten them. They are all loud but produce noise at different frequencies so it's hard to really compare with untrained old ears like mine. I went from shooting 423 grain arrows to 470 grain arrows in my Excal Vortex when I found it quietened the bow and lessened vibration/recoil and the bonus was fantastic accuracy. I'll trade that for 13 fps less speed any time. I've just recently started playing with these 470 grain arrows in a TP Pro Slider. It loses about 23 fps, as compared to the 13 fps Excal with recurve limbs but it greatly quietened the bow down and, like the Excal, the accuracy is substantially improved. I think I'm turning into a heavy arrow fan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bows

03Marine,
The difference is a Mustang or a Shelby Mustang they both gonna get you down the road,you're buying fit and finish.Shoot them both.
Good luck Steve

·
329 Posts
folks,

i'm FAR from being an expert BUT Horizontal Bowhunter's reviewer said that the Exocet 175 was "by scientific test" (he used a decible meter, i think, but it's been some time since i read the article.) the QUIETEST CB that the magazine had ever tested.

sincerely, texasnative46

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Help me

I think in the last few years several Crossbows have improved not only in energy efficiency but have reduced the produced sound level of the shot.

I would like to see a up to datesound, side by side test of all the newer models.

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
At 325-250 fps sound isn't that much of a factor...since you're not likely to re cock and get another shot after doing so. Personally, I think making a crossbow quiet is much ado about nothing. You're only getting ONE shot. Make it your best. Close.

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Needless to say that should be 350 fps.

·
11,407 Posts
I think my efforts at quietening my crossbows

are more for my ears than for the deers':D It's a lot more pleasant shooting a bow that doesn't echo off surrounding trees when I'm shooting. I agree that it is not that important one way or the other as to deer hunting success.

·
342 Posts
Spend the extra money...Tenpoint, IMO

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
You really need to try shooting as many different bows as you can to determine which one fits you best. There are so many factors to consider: How you hunt, what you'll hunt, how far you intend to shoot, if you intend to use the bow to shoot targets, your physical limitations, your arm strength (even your reach) how much support you'll be needing to maintain your bow, etc,etc,etc.
Then too there is the support of the company that makes the bows. For instance Excal, Parker and Ten Point have a lifetime warranty policy...and live by them. I did my research and settled on one of each: Parker and Excal. But that matters not the least. It's what's best for YOU that's important...regardless of what someone likes or dislikes.
Generally speaking, recurve bows are easier to maintain, more accurate, but wider and heavier. Compounds are smaller, easier to cock but more maintenance intensive. But you gotta try before you buy to get the best match.

·
11,407 Posts
Good points by Cossack

But then there are fanatics that just must have one of each..................and use them all.:hurray: There is no one best crossbow for everyone.

Attachments

·
8,998 Posts
Ten years ago today ... archers still helping archers. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts