Crossbow Nation banner

Help the rookie out

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  RobertBonner 
#1 ·
I bought the CP sniper 370 whisper. It came with 20 inch 400 grain bolts. My question is when I put broadheads on the bolts is the 400 grain the tip or the whole bolt. I don't want to have to resight my scope of I don't have to.

#2 ·
The factory Sniper arrows are 300 gn with a 100 gn tip. The total arrow weight is 400 gn so find a 100 gn broadhead.

Remember that broadheads need to be tested to verify they fly the same as your practice tip does. Many fixed blade broadheads do NOT fly like a practice tip does. They may fly to the same spot each time shot but it may be 2" to the right and 1" low. Look for reviews on broadheads that are "Crossbow Approved" and have reviews on this forum that verify they fly like a practice tip does.

One that I can suggest that does fly like your practice tip does is Grim Reaper's Pro Series, Crossbow approved, 1.5" diameter, 3 blade mechanical. Good luck!

#6 ·
Out of … a 370fps crossbow I'd be putting the Standard Slick Tricks on the end of my arrows. :) Bulletproof, foolproof, proven fixed broadhead that leaves holes like a shotgun slug went through the deer.

#8 ·
RB, you probably don't want to read this but those arrows that came with your bow are merely tomato stakes. You will more than likely find that out when you start shooting them. Get you a half doz Blood Sports or BEE's and you will have a whole lot better arrow. Good luck with your Sniper. It's a good bow and shoots well when set up right.;):)

BTW, welcome to the boards. :)

Reactions: Iron Duke
#10 ·
Now hooold on Bobalouie!

The 400 gn arrows that CP provides are not the same arrows that came with the Snipers in 2018 and back. Those 370 gn darlins were poor to fair at best. These new arrows are used with all of the CP bows with the exception of the CP400. They are notably better. The set of 3 I got with my Patriot shot very well out to 60 yards with 125 gn tips. I was happily surprised. Since that point I have tested the same arrows from new Snipers, Amped, Heat and Daggers and they are not bad for factory arrows. Would I upgrade? Sure but I'd also find some use for these.

Reactions: RobertBonner
#9 ·
I'm with the guys above and I'd use the factory arrows that come with it as a decocking arrow. I'd go to your local Wal-Mart and get 6 of the Bloodsport arrows in a pack or get some of the Mossy Oak arrows that they carry loose in the big bins. IMO you will definitely have to verify that your broadheads hit the same place as your practice tip. And my experience shows that a 2 blade Swhacker fly just like a field point on the Bloodsport and Mossy Oak arrows. That's across 3 different crossbows too.

#13 ·
Thanks for all the advice it has helped. A little history of myself. I used to shoot bows but it has been 25 years or so and I used a recurve to hunt. I wanted to hunt old school back then. No sights just learning to shoot on instinct like a shotgun. I was pretty good. I am also a Marine sniper spotter. But I just started shooting a crossbow bacause with my bad shoulders and back I can not hold a bow at draw. I have found that a crossbow is more like a rifle just shots bolts instead of an bullet. It is a lot of fun. My wife even wants her own now. She says she won't go hunting as she does not want to kill an animal. She is like an Elly May. I told her she can go to compitipns and now she wants to go practice more than I do. I think I have a keeper. Again you all are a great help as I am learning a new weapon as I have read a lot of post on here great place and luck to all as you go out on the hunt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.