Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all new to the forum and have a quick question. My wife bought me a Tenpoint Stealth NXT package. I was unable to use it in 2019 due to an upcoming deployment to Syria, so this will be my first hunting season with it. I just retired after 23 years in the Army so I am about to make up for lost time.

I can no longer vertical now hunt at all due to some sustained injuries so I will be exclusively crossbow hunting. When I did vertical hunt I used the Killzones and have nothing but good things to say about them.

Has stated earlier I will be shooting the Tenpoint Stealth NXT with Evo X Center Punch arrows @445 grains and a 100 grain head for a total of 545 grains. Contacted Tenpoint they said with that weight on their testing my speed is 380 FPS.

For this speed which heads do you guys recommend? My three thoughts were Spitfire, Reapers or the Killzones. And if I go with the Reapers or Spitfires should I band them?

I know it is a long post for such an easy question just want to be has detailed has possible thank you for your help.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I use the crossbow rated Reapers from one of my bows and I band them. I tested them with no band at a water bottle. I shot 10 with no band and had none open in flight. For peace of mind I band them. I have killed quite a few deer and turkey with them and never had a problem with them working with a band on them. I use 5/16" heavy dental bands

·
Registered
377 Posts
Apparently the word on the street is that NAP broadheads are now being made over seas in China or Taiwan, and that the latest versions are not up to snuff on quality control. Many are abandoning NAP heads due to this occurrence. That includes me! Once my stock of 6 Spitfires is done, I won't buy any more NAP heads. Grim Reaper's, TruGlo Titanium X (4 blade),Sevr, Dead RInger X-Nasty's, Thorn, Rage, and Muzzy Trocar HBX are heads that see a lot of use on this forum. I personally don't care to use any head I have to use a collar or band on, but that's just MY preference. I opted to use the TruGlo titanium X 4 blades this year. They have gotten rave reviews on this forum for both accuracy, performance on game, and over all toughness. There are guys who say they have shot multiple deer with the same head and it's still flying straight and was still sharp. Currently I see no other head on the market that performs as well by CBN hunter's standards at that price point. It seems to be a great combo of performance and price. Just do a search on here and read up. Get them while you can, before they wind up outsourcing and building junk heads to save a few dollars. My second choice out of the heads mentioned above would be the Grim Reapers however.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
The Pro Series Grim Reaper that is Crossbow Approved doesn't need a band as long as it's not practiced with. If they are practiced with, the tension designed to hold the blades changes from the impact the head takes.

They do fly like a fieldpoint and are pretty durable. I would suggest the 3 blade, 100 or 125 gn. I've used them for several years from Nitros shooting EVO-X arrows and they perform well on pigs, deer and bear.

Thanks for your service and good luck this fall!

Reactions: Gwn001

·
9,052 Posts
I banded … all the Spitfires I ever shot. Double banded actually. As I did with NAP-FOC broadheads. And, put new bands on each season. I suggest you listen to BullDog and go with the TruGlo TitaniumX broadheads.

I also wonder why you're going with 545gr arrows? That's about 100gr heavier than you'd need to kill anything in America. You're giving up a flatter flying arrow to get more penetration. You have 7 times the penetration to kill a deer already! That's like using a .50BMG where you could be using a 5.56mm. I mean there's nothing wrong with it but you're more likely to have issues with a narrower Point Blank Range envelope than with a lack of penetration. Range estimation error accounts for far more misses and/or lost deer than lack of penetration. Just saying, food for future thought...lol ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The EVO X Center Punch arrows that Tenpoint sends in their Stealth NXT package weigh 445 grains without a broadhead. So with a broadhead add another 100 grains.

I did shoot it last year with just 100 grain field points and did not have any issues with zeroing. I shot it out to 50 yards and from what I can recall at 50 it was pretty tight.

Thanks for the help guys, I was actually leaning towards the NAP but if they want to outsource to China to save a buck and lower their quality they can keep it. Maybe the Reapers are the way to go. I will check those truglos out also. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Help me understand the TG recommendation folks. The TG mechanicals are reverse opening design which when opened the blade levers shroud the leading cutting edge of both sets of blades. Is that a huge issue, no but it is less than ideal from an optimal cutting POV. Add to the mix they have .031 blades which are thin by broadhead blade standards when most are .035 or thicker. I'm guessing they are only .031 because of the wight of the titanium ferrule.

In comparison to a forward facing blade mechanical like the Reaper that has more cutting surface with 3 blades than the TG 4 blade has and is .035 thick blades. The TG are 3 heads for $45 vs the Grim Reapers where you get 4 for the same price.

Outside of the replacement blade ability I'm missing the value point.

And the EVO-X arrows are 345/350ish without a broadhead.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Sorry these since these are the crossbow version.

Yes Sir....That is them! That price is high though. Get them else where if you can. I just got them off Ebay from a TruGlo authorized dealer. (Sporting goods shop) TruGlo is currently doing a $5 mail in rebate for each pack. I wound up paying $28.00 a pack I believe. VERGONAOUTDOORS was the seller. Shipping was free and they sent me a legit receipt for each pack along with the TruGlo rebate card for each. Cost me $67.00 total minus the $10.00 in rebates, so yes, I paid $28.00 a pack.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I've been using the Truglo's for 2 seasons and love them.

Thanks for your service. I did 23 years also :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Help me understand the TG recommendation folks.
Outside of the replacement blade ability I'm missing the value point.
Makes sense in theory, but I don't always rely solely on theory. I'm going by many first hand reviews of real world hunters and people who have tested them on video. Did TG luck out and "accidentally" make a super tough and accurate head that kills with the best of them...Probably so. Are the blades thinner? Apparently so according to your findings. Do they work and hold up going through deer and hitting the dirt, going through plywood and bone...apparently so too. I can't explain this phenomenon, but when certain people on CBN recommend certain products that I don't have a better, more reliable counter to, I tend to believe they aren't just whistling in the wind.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is from their website has far has the weight of the EVO X. Maybe that is with a 100 grain broadhead but it didn't mention that on the page. Just curious if that is assuming a 100ngrain head.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I'm like you and many here on CBN and I do listen to experience but I also tend to test and analyze to validate the results in my world ;)

I've seen my share of "testing" and prefer live animals with my equipment vs someone elses so the results are very specific. Hey, how many thousands folks follow the "Ranch Fairy's" every word?

l'll buy some of these for the sake of comparison and put them to test after deer season on some HD hogs. In the meantime I'll stick with the GR I use which have been devastating and 100% effective. And notable bigger 4 blade heads than the TG in cutting surface.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts