Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MBH ACTION ALERT!!!!

The Michigan House of Representatives has just passed a substitute bill for HB 5741 that would make the crossbow a weapon of choice during the archery deer season. If the bill becomes law, it will end bow hunting as we know it in Michigan, the nations top bow hunting state.

Michigan currently has more than 400,000 firearm deer hunters who have never taken up the challenge of bow hunting and who would flock to the bow season if they could shoot arrows with guns in October. The resulting social and biological impact will, in all probability, force the DNR to dramatically reduce the length of the archery deer season. The crossbow is not archery equipment, requires no archery skills and is much more user-friendly to firearm hunters than a conventional hand-held bow.

Bow Hunting in Michigan faces its greatest threat in 72 years and the future of the sport rests in our hands. We all need to call our State Senator ASAP and urge him or her to vote AGAINST House Bill 5741-S 2.

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Michigan Bow Hunters Association Position Statement regarding proposed crossbow regulation changes and laser sight usage

The Michigan Bow Hunters Association does not support using age as a condition for determining crossbow eligibility. Eligibility should be determined by need on a case by case basis.

MBH supports the current standard for determining crossbow permit eligibility for physically challenged hunters. However we are opposed to lowering the level of permanent disability from 80% to 60%. Our Association acknowledges that the current evaluation process for crossbow permit applicants is expensive and frequently abused.

We therefore support removal of the physician from the evaluation process as a means of addressing both issues. Also, we would be very supportive of a more vigorous scrutiny of crossbow permit applications by the DNR Law division to further address the abuse issue. In addition, there are other issues with the crossbow permit system not mentioned in the proposal. We look forward to working with the NRC to resolve these concerns.

Michigan Bow Hunters does not oppose establishing a permit for legally blind hunters using laser sighting devices on a bow, crossbow or firearm, when the hunter is accompanied and assisted by an adult, licensed hunter.

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
What a load of crap! I'm sure that stance is a major reason Mi is looking at full inclusion and MBH is scrambling to mitigate the "damage", lol.

I'm in Ar and don't need a disabled permit here, but do in Ok. I'm only 8.5 miles from there, btw. Even though Ok passed xbows for over 60, that doesn't apply to non residents. However, they do allow Dr letters from adjoining states and mine took one good look at the med file I brought w/ me from Illinois, gave me a range of motion exam and next visit, my letter was ready. No way in hell I could have done that in Mi, as I don't meet the 80%. I'd be another one of the 1% to 79% that can't hunt in archery season there. Shame on MBH for their part in all of this!

I worked heavy construction before getting dinged. There was a saying popular in the trades and maybe else where; "It takes a hundred Atta Boys to equal one Oh sh*t". I think MBH may be figuring this out.

·
11,556 Posts
But Michigan is

"DIFFERENT" from other states:eek: All they have is a bunch of hypothetical BS to try to keep other hunters out of THEIR bow season and 90% of them are hunting with gadget loaded compounds that were initially designed for handicapped hunters back in the 70's. Go figure:ack2: Truth is Michigan is exactly like other states on this issue and the results of Michigan including crossbows in archery season will be exactly as it has been in other states..................and that's good for the state and hunting in general.

·
378 Posts
mideerslayer said:
The Michigan Bow Hunters Association Position Statement regarding proposed crossbow regulation changes and laser sight usage

The Michigan Bow Hunters Association does not support using age as a condition for determining crossbow eligibility. Eligibility should be determined by need on a case by case basis.

Translation WE don't care about them, we Only care about what WE want for ourselves WE KNOW that IF we can accomplish this we can keep deserving folks out of the woods, that might kill "our deer"

MBH supports the current standard for determining crossbow permit eligibility for physically challenged hunters. However we are opposed to lowering the level of permanent disability from 80% to 60%. Our Association acknowledges that the current evaluation process for crossbow permit applicants is expensive and frequently abused.

WE know it's expensive, yet we don't care and furthermore WE don't want more bow hunters in "our wood" WE will say anything to reach this objective, as in our minds the "End justifies the means"

We therefore support removal of the physician from the evaluation process as a means of addressing both issues. Also, we would be very supportive of a more vigorous scrutiny of crossbow permit applications by the DNR Law division to further address the abuse issue. In addition, there are other issues with the crossbow permit system not mentioned in the proposal. We look forward to working with the NRC to resolve these concerns.

We fully understand without the physician NO one would pass the 80% "factor", this is OUR sneaky way of keeping ALL crossBOW hunters out of "our woods" IF we can make this happen

Michigan Bow Hunters does not oppose establishing a permit for legally blind hunters using laser sighting devices on a bow, crossbow or firearm, when the hunter is accompanied and assisted by an adult, licensed hunter.
That's terrible, while they "don't oppose" this, they don't state they even support this either! And this is FOR Blind folks!

I find it totally amusing that "bow orgs" actually "think" they have the power (not to mention support) to Force their will (read DICTATE) to other fellow bow hunters, simply because many wish to bow hunt with crossbows........:cool:

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
The statement was obviously written by someone with no experience shooting a crossbow. NO skills? Not archery? What a pack of Bull...! I shoot both, vertical and horizontal bows. It takes the same exact skills. Archery equipment? It takes a string and an arrow for both pieces of equipment, and is the definition of archery. See how they will lie to promote their agenda? Doesn't this say alot about those members of the MBHA? A bunch of liars. Unscrupulous tactics.
Studies in the past show the deer populations were not changed when crossbows were introduced to archery season. Where did they get that lie? They made it up. Another lie to promote their agenda. Would you trust someone who lies constantly? Do you want to hear what they have to say again when everything they've already said is a blatant lie?

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now you guys and gal's see what we have to face

I emailed every senator from michigan last night that I could find a email for

If you want there emails pm me

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
mideerslayer said:
Now you guys and gal's see what we have to face

I emailed every senator from michigan last night that I could find a email for

If you want there emails pm me
You need to mail the state representatives in Michigan unless it's already passed there. Find out who sponsored the bill to add crossbow during archery season and offer assistance as they may not be a hunter with much experience and may need back up. Offer to help them introduce shooting a crossbow to a member they think may be able to help get this passed up there.

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guide Girl said:
You need to mail the state representatives in Michigan unless it's already passed there. Find out who sponsored the bill to add crossbow during archery season and offer assistance as they may not be a hunter with much experience and may need back up. Offer to help them introduce shooting a crossbow to a member they think may be able to help get this passed up there.
It was proposed in the house and passed, now the bill goes to the senate for a vote. If it is passed there it is signed by the gov

So the bill is written just waiting for a vote

·
378 Posts
Guide Girl said:
The statement was obviously written by someone with no experience shooting a crossbow. NO skills? Not archery? What a pack of Bull...! I shoot both, vertical and horizontal bows. It takes the same exact skills. Archery equipment? It takes a string and an arrow for both pieces of equipment, and is the definition of archery. See how they will lie to promote their agenda? Doesn't this say alot about those members of the MBHA? A bunch of liars. Unscrupulous tactics.
Studies in the past show the deer populations were not changed when crossbows were introduced to archery season. Where did they get that lie? They made it up. Another lie to promote their agenda. Would you trust someone who lies constantly? Do you want to hear what they have to say again when everything they've already said is a blatant lie?
Great points GG!

It's actually much worse than that (IMHO), the LIES they spew come directly from Organizations making $$$ (dues) solely to fight crossbows (PBS , NABC etc)

HOW can any group claim to be "PRO Hunting" and fight a valid form of Bow hunting???

They can't and even thier very organizations are LIES based upon Lies......:D

Notice how many of the BS artists "brag" about belonging to PBS, or NABC......:cool:

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Ya'll are halfway then! Good luck!

·
378 Posts
mideerslayer said:
It was proposed in the house and passed, now the bill goes to the senate for a vote. If it is passed there it is signed by the gov

So the bill is written just waiting for a vote

IIRC it passed with an overwhelming Majority vote, and most expect the Senate to do the same..........looks like MBH will have to face reality very soon....;)

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
aceoky said:
IIRC it passed with an overwhelming Majority vote, and most expect the Senate to do the same..........looks like MBH will have to face reality very soon....;)
That's great but it's still not a done deal. Last year in Texas, it passed overwhelmingly in the house and moved to the Senate. Never was voted on in the Senate before the session ended. So, here we are.. still. What I'm saying is keep pushing and lobbying until it is a done deal. Don't quit nw and assume it's a done deal.
If we had it to do over again, I would do things different this time. I was advised to only go before the committee and just say that I was FOR. I think if I could have spoke more and revealed my skills and education, I may have been more useful. I listened to one of my elders, and laid low. It wasn't easy either.

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
287 Posts
It said
The crossbow is not archery equipment.

Thats funny.
Take one to a gun fight and get back to me.

The level of eliteist ignorance in some people always amazes me.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
An arrow is an arrow. Doesn't matter what some young punk says, it doesn't make it the truth. It makes them show how uneducated and stupid they are if that's what they want to believe. Kinda like those religious cults. The leader says it's so, then the rest of the dumb SOBS follow because they don't have the capability to think for themselves. Too bad it can't end like the cult thing did in Waco Texas, or with Jim Jones in Guyana where they all drank poison because the end of the world had arrived. The leader said, so it must have been so!
I'm really glad when I read this BS that we taught our kids much better and to think for themselves. Not one of our 5 kids are followers. Thank GOD. These little boys parents failed them. What ashame the rest of the hunting world has to swat at them like flies on ..stink. They are merely irritating, just like a fly.

·
378 Posts
saxman said:
It said
The crossbow is not archery equipment.

Thats funny.
Take one to a gun fight and get back to me.

The level of eliteist ignorance in some people always amazes me.

LOL, they just don't "intend to get it".........

·
378 Posts
It isn't a "done deal", by a margin, wasn't meaning to imply otherwise, only saying the "bow hunter's org" didn't do much of a job spewing myths and BS, no more and no less ;)

That's the great thing about MOST having the ability to reason and think for themselves! MOST can easily through their Selfish counter productive agenda!

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Yea, when we were there listening to the testimony, my favorite part was when one of the committee members stood up to the only AGAINST voice, the VP of the Texas Bow Hunters Assoc. and said "Well then. You're saying vertical bows should have a separate season from Crossbows, is that correct?" The VP said "Yes". Then the old boy said "kay. How about we go with your idea and we have crossbow season first, then Muzzle loader', then rifle and THEN, bow season in January after the other seasons. Is that okay with the TBA?". Shock was the VP's only response. That was awesome to see that man stand up against the arrogant young one and use his words against this agenda. Hell! It worked amongst his Association members. Why not this committee? Duh?
I actually felt sorry for the youngster when he left the room with his tail between his legs. I did try my best to contain my laughter, but when everyone else in the room laughed, I couldn't help but laugh out loud as well.
His whole fight was based on the statement "You have to draw the bow back at the moment of truth, unlike a crossbow". One of the members said "Does a crossbow have to be drawn before it expells an arrow? Do you have to pick up the crossbow to take aim?" "Well, uh, I suppose but I don't really know since I have not ever shot one". Was the VP's reply.
So the elder said "You come in here and expect me to take your opinion seriously when you don't have any experience to base your claim on?"
You have to admit it was such a lame point to walk into that room to stand on.
Thank GOD Texas doesn't let young punks sit in important positions until they grow up and actually have some experience and education to make good decisions for the rest of us citizens. God Bless Texas!

·
378 Posts
His whole fight was based on the statement "You have to draw the bow back at the moment of truth, unlike a crossbow".
IF "drawing the bow at the moment of truth" IS so "hard" for them, well sounds like They Need to use a crossBOW ;) :D :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts