Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, just started with a crossbow after a long time away from any sort of Target Sport. As it says in the title, I'm from the UK so hunting is a no-no for me.
Any how, at the moment I've only got a 150Ib draw Armex (Think Chinese cheapy) but I am hoping to improve/modify it as I get more experienced.

·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome Jeff, I'm glad I've got back into shooting as well. Even more pleased that I have managed to secure myself a nice corner of a farmers field where I can go shoot my crossbow when ever I like for as long as I like.

At the moment I'm shooting at about 25 yards, but what is the realistic range of a cheap recurve crossbow?

·
Administrator
6,085 Posts
All my experience is from hunting situations. Usually 30 yards and under. I'm not familiar with the bow you own, but I know some of the serious target shooters hear on the site shoot out to 75-80 yards. I think they play with the arrow a lot to achieve good accuracy at this range. Mostly the font of center and the overall weight of the arrow.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Welcome to the site buddy. You know with all the media I'm seeing from the UK,
the people I talk to from the UK, I think things are changing in the UK as far as attitude towards guns and hunting are concerned. I think it is definitely turning around and gaining ground where people want their guns back and are more open minded to hunting than in previous years. It's just too bad there isn't any game to hunt other than fox and rabbits, unless you travel. You just keep your corner active in that farmers field.
I have friends there that just to get outdoors, have a place in the woods they meet and build things like catapults, primative lodges, tunnels, etc and shoot rabbits with an airgun because that's as close as they can get to what we are so blessed to do.
Keep shooting! Have fun! Welcome!

·
342 Posts
Welcome to the site:):):)

·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Guide girl and targethogs,

To be honest Guide girl, the way things are going in the UK at the moment we're going to be pretty lucky if we can even think about hunting let alone do any.
Fortunately at present you don't need a license to own or use a crossbow but that could change as soon as some asshat decides they're going to shoot a passer by.

Still, I'm going to keep my little corner and one day I will get to travel some where where I can hunt with my crossbow and take my first wild boar .

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Great choice of game to chase first I must say! Can't wait to hear your story when and the excitement you do.

66606 said:
Hi Guide girl and targethogs,

To be honest Guide girl, the way things are going in the UK at the moment we're going to be pretty lucky if we can even think about hunting let alone do any.
Fortunately at present you don't need a license to own or use a crossbow but that could change as soon as some asshat decides they're going to shoot a passer by.

Still, I'm going to keep my little corner and one day I will get to travel some where where I can hunt with my crossbow and take my first wild boar .

·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's one of those primal things. Wild Boar just sound like the ultimate first hunt.
Probably have to go to Europe, but one day I'll get one for the freezer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts