Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Back into crossbows after many years... my favourite birthday gift I ever got was a Barnett Wildcat on my 12th birthday. Shot my first rabbit with that thing. It had no foot stirrup so me and my best friend Mike would carry a phone book with us as we wandered the forest... we would have to put the phone book over our stomach area in order to cock the bow. After two or three cocks each, we were done for the day. That was real crossbow'in :)

Years later I bought an Excalibur Vixen. I grew up a mile away from the first Excalibur store/facility and we kids were in awe of that company. I shot that Vixen a lot, but never hunted with it. Eventually sold it to get money for school...

And now, years later, as an older guy I got one of those Bear XL Desire pistol crossbows as a gift last year. Had so much fun, I then picked up a Cold Steel Cheap shot in a trade with a buddy. I love the thing! It's super fun, easy to use, and takedown is great. Planning on doing some grouse shooting soon...

Which has got me the bug ... and I need another xbow!

From what I can tell from reading on the site so far there are at least two schools of thought ...

1) Get the fastest, lightest, smallest, killerist bow you can afford because it's awesome. Be prepared to do maintenance on it, and be prepared to pay $$$ to pick one up. Upside is incredible, rifle-like accuracy (I like that!). So far I have been leaning towards the Mission Sub-1.

2) Buy a solid, reliable, accurate mid-priced bow (like the Excalibur 340 TD) and don't worry about speed so much. Less finicky, less maintenance, less cost.

3) Try some experimental bow, like the Ek Siege which is like a juiced up Cheap Shot.

If I had the cash, I would just buy all three :)

Looking forward to learning more on the forum.

Rallan

·
Premium Member
4,881 Posts
Welcome, hope you are all OK during the atmospheric rivers of rain lately!
We're hearing the ports of Vancouver are closed and railroad tracks in/out of the mainland destroyed.
:(
Back to your questions.
What are you using the xbow for, hunting or targets or both?
Hand cock or crank?
Narrower, and now shorter, compounds handle much easier in the woods.
But yes, they can be a PITA to service.
Mission seems to have a good platform; accurate, no timing issues and replace stings/cables at home.
Be safe and shoot lots!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey dynamo... It don't bother me, the rain and weather. I ride a motorcycle every day to work, and eat rain for breakfast :)

I'll be both target shooting and hunting, mostly small game and deer when I get a chance.

Probably regular string cocker for a while, and then pick up a hand crank. I am just starting to experience 'old man strength' and have no problem yanking 100+ pounds around I wouldn't think.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Welcome. What part of the island?

the mission sub 1 xr I hear lots of good things about. Sounds like a solid platform. I honestly can’t think of any negativity posted about it. I don’t have 1. I have 3 other brands though. 1 brand is extinct and the other 2 have excellent customer service

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll be hunting as much as I can, mostly small game. I'm in the central part of the island. I went to Cabela's this week and fondled the Excaliburs ... very nice. I'm leaning towards a 340 or 360. Simple, light weight, and the TD versions come with a great, motorcycle carry backpack...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts