Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you shoot and like in the high end market? I've been shooting Leupold VXR's but am trying the Evo X on my new Viper. So far I'm not liking the fact that you can't adjust magnification without affecting the aim point.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
That is part of a variable speed/power scope in a crossbow. Once you get the speed adjusted you must leave it or you POI will change if it is moved. Something one has to live with. FYI! That is no different in a high powered rifle scope only it is more forgiving because the rifle shoots a flatter trajectory.

I have very good results with my Hawke XB30 1.5-6 x 36mm compact SR scope. I may not be high end but it tunes into my bow speed at 4.5 x or 400 fps and that is what counts. It allows me to use all the reticle 10 yards increments and be spot on up to 115 yards.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
What do you shoot and like in the high end market? I've been shooting Leupold VXR's but am trying the Evo X on my new Viper. So far I'm not liking the fact that you can't adjust magnification without affecting the aim point.
If you have a chance to see or use the SigSauer BDX System, you may want to give it a try.
It kicks some serious butt, IMO.
Magnification does not affect the POA/POI.

·
1,305 Posts
On my micro i have the leupold crossbones. Its awesome.

My deathstalker has the vortex crossfire ii. Also a great scope.

Over the 2 I still prefer my crossbones.

I'm always looking for another crossbones to add to my collection but they are hard to come by... lol

·
Banned
5,180 Posts

I'm always looking for another crossbones to add to my collection but they are hard to come by... lol
Does your crossbones have dash marks for yardages or circles? I thought I saw long ago they had both types but I’m not positive.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
The SIG Sierra3 BDX scopes are probably the newest "top gun" product for crossbow users BUT electro-optics and application driven scopes are not everyone's cup of tea. Too complicated for many.

I'm like Dynamo61 and think they are a fantastic product and would recommend it be looked at by anyone interested in an affordable "smart scope". You not only retain magnification capability, you gain improved illumination (hidden at the objective lens), add ranging capability which is a huge value and pick up cant and level indication integrated into the scope.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When my package scope blew out years ago I put on a
leupold VariX ll 1X4X20 that I've had on rifles, slug guns, muzzleloaders, and then the Xbow. The scope is indestructible, but didn't offer range options. I picked up a Nikon BoltXR, which is 3 power, has little circles for 30-40-50 yds, and a website which will tell you pretty darn close where each of the circles should hit for which yardage from 20yds for the crosshair all the way out. Then it's up to you to verify what they say.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've looked at the sig scope and am not interested. I'm an in close hunter only with my bow, so 40 yards max. The sig seems like overkill for my application. I still have a VXR 1-4 that I might throw on the Viper, but will probably give the Evo X a fair shot first.

·
Registered
295 Posts
As a huge Leupold fan, I've been wanting to try out a Crossbones scope for a few years - as much as these sell for at times, figured they have got to be about the ultimate. Finally got one at a reasonable price a few weeks ago. While quality & all that is top notch, it really made me realize how much I like the scope I'm using - an Excalibur Twilight DLX. I'd planned on using the Crossbones and there is nothing wrong with a series of dashes for aiming points - unless you've used a reticle that you like a lot better, like the upside down triangles with yardages next to them that the Excalibur scope has. This reticle is almost idiot proof - which can be very good at times.

The Crossbones probably is better optically, but I've looked through the Excalibur many times at last light & I know I could still get off a good shot with it.

It took me a while to accept it, but it felt like using the Crossbones would have been a step backwards, so I sold it. And I realize the Excalibur scope isn't high end (anymore) but the Crossbones is. One of those 'to each his own' kind of things I guess.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
I've looked at the sig scope and am not interested. I'm an in close hunter only with my bow, so 40 yards max. The sig seems like overkill for my application. I still have a VXR 1-4 that I might throw on the Viper, but will probably give the Evo X a fair shot first.
I am using mine with the preset distances and 40 yards will be my max I expect. I just love this scope and it's features. Best illumination I have seen in any scope plus I can use my magnification from 2.5 to 8X without any change in POI. At $450 shipped for the scope plus the rangefinder I fell like I won the lottery. Lots of scopes not even as nice out there for more than $450 without a RF included.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I got a Discovery scope for my air rifle and am loving it. I suppose I could put it on my bow but it would be a waste. (Have a simple, cheap red dot that came with my bow and am making bullseyes at 50 yards without a problem.) But for you serious shooter guys, you might take a look at the Discovery line of scopes.....

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
In close sight in for 35 yards and have at it, dead on hold out to 40 yards and never more than 2 3/4" high or more than 2 1/2" low out to 40 yards with a 400 fps bow using your main aiming point, all dead deer when centering the boiler room with plenty of room for error!

But any multi reticle crossbow scope will only work for multiple yardages by using the second focal plane scopes that allow you to alter the reticle by adjusting the field of view. This is done by changing power (speed) setting on your scope. If it didn't change you would have to buy a different scope for every bow of different speed.

Good Luck the Evo-X and the Hawke XB-30 Pro SR are the two finest Crossbow dedicated scopes available at this time in my opinion,,, and what I have on all my bows!

·
Registered
5,649 Posts

We all have our favorites but I have never grouped better shots then what I currently have with the CF2. Vortex CF2 gets my scope vote.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
We all have our favorites but I have never grouped better shots then what I currently have with the CF2. Vortex CF2 gets my scope vote.
That's the way to launch them.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
These two scopes you can't go wrong with Spot.

After hunt season my long range shooting will be revisited. (y)

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Did you ever try the XB30 that I use?

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
I would think there’s a difference between shooting 60 yards at a target off a trigger stick in daylight versus seeing that reticle on a deer in a darker woods environment, but let us know how it goes this year. (y)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts