Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Enough of these hogs eating all my corn! I've never hunted hog before but I'm about to...
I can clearly reach out and touch them from my tree stand which is about 30 yds +/-.
I do not have the budget for a night vision scope.
How do I illuminate the area just enough to see them with my scope? Will a white light scare them off, if so what color do I need?
TIA!
WTZ

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have a $10 solar motion light from Wal Mart mounted on a tree near my back yard feeder. The animals get used to it after a few nights. I don't hunt over the feeder but I'm sure it would work.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might try a solar led that gets progressively brighter as daylight fades. I think Ranch Fairy has a video on You Tube with various colored and intensity lights.
Great idea, thx!

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Moultrie makes an affordable LED Hog light for their feeders that's motion sensitive. Its designed to be overhead but it can easily be attached to a stake and set by your feeder and pointed at the area the hogs feed. I used it out west and it worked so well on a stake that I could stalk up from behind it and the light provided cover.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just scuttlebutt, but have heard the human eye can see further with green but game can also recognize it more than red. However, the human eye cannot see as far with a red light. So, I mount a Kill Light in green on my scope. When I know they are there, I point the light above their head and slowly lower it. As soon as I get the shot I want, I let ' er fly. If I wait too long they seem to get skiddish.

That said, as TX RDX points out, if you put a light on your feeder and keep it going, they will get used to it. I use both the Moultrie and SwineShine and have seen the big 'uns hang out at the periphery.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Just scuttlebutt, but have heard the human eye can see further with green but game can also recognize it more than red. However, the human eye cannot see as far with a red light. So, I mount a Kill Light in green on my scope. When I know they are there, I point the light above their head and slowly lower it. As soon as I get the shot I want, I let ' er fly. If I wait too long they seem to get skiddish.

That said, as TX RDX points out, if you put a light on your feeder and keep it going, they will get used to it. I use both the Moultrie and SwineShine and have seen the big 'uns hang out at the periphery.
It's definitely situational but pigs are like any wild animal and they are smarter than many give them credit for. Any visible spectrum light at night will alarm an animal not accustomed to seeing it. I would often see pigs scatter when these Moultrie lamps come on but if you're patient they would come back almost all the time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Got that right. Will get one kill, maybe two, out of a sounder and then they go frequent another food source. Smart animals, unfortunately. Hate 'em but I absolutely love killing them. Gives you something to do year round.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hunt Stephenville area by the way, TX RDX. 13 miles from the original Hard 8 bbq. Rest of the guys on the board should come try it.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Hunt Stephenville area by the way, TX RDX. 13 miles from the original Hard 8 bbq. Rest of the guys on the board should come try it.
Great eats for sure! They line em up....

I'm in Allen, just north of Dallas but not far from the pig populations and they are all over my deer hunting area which is near Texoma. They can't help the deer heard just in their numbers being in the same area. I hunt em pretty hard Jan. - April.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Moultrie makes an affordable LED Hog light for their feeders that's motion sensitive. Its designed to be overhead but it can easily be attached to a stake and set by your feeder and pointed at the area the hogs feed. I used it out west and it worked so well on a stake that I could stalk up from behind it and the light provided cover.

View attachment 182082
That is an awesome way to go, thx!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the feedback folks! I have watched videos and read several articles which all suggest a green light for hogs and a red light for predators. Amazon has all price ranges of many solutions. Picatinny or scope mounted. Rechargeable batts or even solar lights mountable to trees / feeders, etc.
Many are over kill for me claiming 350 - 450 yard capability. Heck I can't even see that far any more let alone shoot that far, lol!
I think a workable solution for my intended hog count reduction @ 30 yds can be had for under $50.
Thanks again!
WTZ

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Enough of these hogs eating all my corn! I've never hunted hog before but I'm about to...
I can clearly reach out and touch them from my tree stand which is about 30 yds +/-.
I do not have the budget for a night vision scope.
How do I illuminate the area just enough to see them with my scope? Will a white light scare them off, if so what color do I need?
TIA!
WTZ
I had hog problems a year ago and found a perfect solution to get rid of the SB.
I researched on line and came up with a powerful green light to mount piggy back on my Nikon rifle scope. It has a touch switch attached to my rifle forearm to activate the green light. I also bought an additional light for hand held to spot with along with extra batteries. The extra batteries aren't needed because the original holds charge well but I like to be prepared for those unexpected things. Besides they are cheap on the bay.
The first night hunt attempt I took this badazz boar hog that was tearing up my feeders. I shot him in the neck and he dropped with a step.
I tried to hunt the rest of the sounder but they stopped coming around when I took Dad down.

20190701_004452.jpg

Rapid forward to this July. I figured out how to attract the others by laying down more corn. I knew they were around because of an occasional trail cam photo.

So I tried a couple times without luck. But on Monday evening last my plan worked out.
This sounder of hogs came in before dark at my surprise. I loved it and managed to take 3 out. I took two with the first shot then another on the run. Later another boar returned to check things out in the dark and I took him with the green light.

I will show the photos on the next message as they are my phone and this in my PC.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I had hog problems a year ago and found a perfect solution to get rid of the SB.
I researched on line and came up with a powerful green light to mount piggy back on my Nikon rifle scope. It has a touch switch attached to my rifle forearm to activate the green light. I also bought an additional light for hand held to spot with along with extra batteries. The extra batteries aren't needed because the original holds charge well but I like to be prepared for those unexpected things. Besides they are cheap on the bay.
The first night hunt attempt I took this badazz boar hog that was tearing up my feeders. I shot him in the neck and he dropped with a step.
I tried to hunt the rest of the sounder but they stopped coming around when I took Dad down.

View attachment 182132

Rapid forward to this July. I figured out how to attract the others by laying down more corn. I knew they were around because of an occasional trail cam photo.

So I tried a couple times without luck. But on Monday evening last my plan worked out.
This sounder of hogs came in before dark at my surprise. I loved it and managed to take 3 out. I took two with the first shot then another on the run. Later another boar returned to check things out in the dark and I took him with the green light.

I will show the photos on the next message as they are my phone and this in my PC.
20200727_193913.jpg

20200727_223726.jpg

20200727_223831.jpg

20200727_231424.jpg

My next challenge is to take a hog with the green light mounted on my Ripper bottom rail.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts