Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Matt from Draggin Deer @MattDDO outdoors for making this video. This video hits home for me because as many of you know a hook breaking while jumping the rail is what took out my left eye. Always use the proper cocker for your bow!

Anyways...this is a great video for some of the new guys that I wish was out 2 years ago when I was just getting into CBs. I might just possibly still be a 2 eyed archer....

Have a great day guys and Merry Christmas!

·
Crossbow Nut
4,654 Posts
This makes sense, but I've had 3 sets of plastic hooks break on me while cocking various crossbows. Orientation is out the window then. Aluminum hooks ought to be standard safety equipment IMO.

·
4,569 Posts
This makes sense, but I've had 3 sets of plastic hooks break on me while cocking various crossbows. Orientation is out the window then. Aluminum hooks ought to be standard safety equipment IMO.
Munch hooks and 3000# amsteel for my 348# Micro hybrid.

·
Registered
MK-XB58 Kraken / Hawke 3-9x50 parallax, mildot
2,798 Posts
finally someone makes sense of this, thank you very much

for some reason hooks down was very tiny little easier to do when struggling for the first few months with cocking
ive since changed my cocking to hooks up

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed, and aluminium sleds.

·
Crossbow Nut
4,654 Posts
Munch hooks and 3000# amsteel for my 348# Micro hybrid.
You bet! I had him make several sets for me, and have at least 1 rope replaced with Amsteel. No way I'm cocking over 300 pounds with plastic hooks!
Even my Excalibur crank has aluminum hooks now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks to Matt from Draggin Deer @MattDDO outdoors for making this video. This video hits home for me because as many of you know a hook breaking while jumping the rail is what took out my left eye. Always use the proper cocker for your bow!

Anyways...this is a great video for some of the new guys that I wish was out 2 years ago when I was just getting into CBs. I might just possibly still be a 2 eyed archer....

Have a great day guys and Merry Christmas!

Thanks for sharing this! Very sorry to hear about your injury 2 years ago. Hopefully that’s the last time someone is injured from a cocking rope.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for sharing this! Very sorry to hear about your injury 2 years ago. Hopefully that’s the last time someone is injured from a cocking rope.
Thanks Matt! And thank you for making the video! 👍

·
Registered
745 Posts
Great video and thanks for sharing, I wasn't aware of your eye injury from a hook breaking. When I first started shooting crossbows about 10 years ago I had the same questions about whether hook up or down was the way to go, I tried both ways and I saw I can see the hooks better making contact to the string with the hooks up so that's what I went with. I haven't ever broke a hook but several of my friends have with the hooks down and I persuaded them to pull hooks up.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Good info. Thanks for sharing. I have seen different manufacturers recommending different orientations (at least in the past) and had wondered if it even mattered at all. Hadn't thought about the likelihood of the hook riding up on the rail or even about safety concerns if a hook broke. I've always used hooks up simply because that is what Tenpoint said to do in their training videos however many years back. Had no idea it was so important!

Reactions: One eyed archer

·
Registered
16,115 Posts
I have always been a hook down guy. Never had one ride up on the rail on me and have had one break and nothing touched my body anywhere. Way I see it is 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. Go with what works best for you.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Mission has a label on their hooks "up" to orient it correctly on the bowstring. They also color differentiate the right hook so you know which side to place the hook. It's a minor but important detail Mission exhausted for the end users.

Yes, a great video.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have always been a hook down guy. Never had one ride up on the rail on me and have had one break and nothing touched my body anywhere. Way I see it is 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. Go with what works best for you.
I think his explanation was well done, and explains why having your hooks up is the better option. It may not be an issue for you. I think that can depend on the height & strength of the person cocking the crossbow. If a person is really good about pulling straight up the barrel, either way may be perfectly fine. If your form is lousy, however, the hooks up may be safer.

It's just as easy to do hooks up verses down in my opinion. If hooks up adds a bit of extra safety, I don't see any reason to do it hooks down.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts