Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve always wanted a Wheeler lapping kit and found the 1” and 30mm combination kit with the alignment rods on Amazon for $50 so I bit. Guy delivered it the next day - the box weighs a ton! I cringe when ever I see scope ring gouges on a scope tube.

I have a Ruger M77 Ultralight with those funky 2 different height rings and since I’ve pulled the Vortex Razor from it I decided to lap them.

Instructions says to check the alignment tools first and the points were off just a tad. So I lapped them a bit, cleaned the rings, and reinstalled the alignment rods. They looked better so I lapped them a 2nd time and this time they looked pointing to each other.

Didn’t take hardly any off the insides so evidently it just cleaned up the edges of the rings. You have to keep the tops oriented in the same direction and on the same ring. If you remove the rings you have to recheck with the alignment rods and possibly relap again.

I had ordered a set of 30mm Warne MSR rings for the Crossfire II but I’ll set them on the DS and lap them since my XBR comes home today. I also have another set of tall 1” rings on it’s way that I’ll use for the XB75.

Hopefully if the lap them while installed on the DS, and then mount the scope in them, I should be able to remove the scope with the rings intact without moving anything out of whack. Hopefully I’m just anal-retentive.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
8,922 Posts
I looked … at that deal. Sat here staring and contemplating "do I REALLY need to lap rings for the amount of precision I need to kill deer?" Decided it's just another specialty tool that's seldom used.

Now you have me reconsidering...lol

Reactions: rswink

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just be careful how much you lap rings. I've seen guys over do it and the rings will no longer tighten down enough to hold the scope.
Read that in the instructions - sort of like "measure twice cut once".

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got one to do my 300 Win Mag and 270 because I have spots that a 200-300 yard shot is possible and I wanted to eliminate any issue I could. I then figured I would do my other rifles because "Well, I have this, may as well use it." happen.
The "funny" thing I found was that some of the more expensive rings, needed it more than the less costly ones. An old set of of "See-Thru" mounts on my 30-30 (1977) needed the LEAST help.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just mounted and torqued the Warne MSR rings that were intended for the Crossfire II, and checked them today as I wait for my XBR to arrive. After installing the alignment rods, they were dead nuts.

So I lightly lapped them and barely scuffed the paint inside - didn’t see any bare metal. Cleaned them off and checked with the alignment rods and they’re still dead nuts. I’m waiting for the UPS man to deliver my XBR.

With the XBR set on 4x as is what corresponds with my 368 fps, the 40 MOA dot should allow me to shoot about 99.6 yards! With the trajectory dropping like a rock, the extra 25 MOA at the 50 dot might barely get me 110 yards. I might have to check that out with a squirrel shaft.

ret_xbr_s_25-10x44_xbr-1_moa-t.jpg

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 1.5” tall 1” rings came today on a Sunday (they wonder why the post office is losing money), so I set them up on my DS scope rail. There’s this secret called “reading instructions” so I first once again used the alignment bars to how how they were. 1st pic shows these Made in China rings off a bit.

So I lapped them, cleaned them off and checked them again - 2nd pic. It’s hard to tell but they looked pretty close. I think there is a spec of the polishing grit on the tip of the right rod.

They’re mounted to my precious XB75 so I can remove them, put my XBR with those lapped rings on and they should stay in the orientation. I’m sure I’d have made a slight dent in the scope tube if I hadn’t lapped these also.

IMG_1053.JPG
IMG_1054.JPG

Reactions: Tnmtns

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
My 1.5” tall 1” rings came today on a Sunday (they wonder why the post office is losing money), so I set them up on my DS scope rail. There’s this secret called “reading instructions” so I first once again used the alignment bars to how how they were. 1st pic shows these Made in China rings off a bit.

So I lapped them, cleaned them off and checked them again - 2nd pic. It’s hard to tell but they looked pretty close. I think there is a spec of the polishing grit on the tip of the right rod.

They’re mounted to my precious XB75 so I can remove them, put my XBR with those lapped rings on and they should stay in the orientation. I’m sure I’d have made a slight dent in the scope tube if I hadn’t lapped these also.

View attachment 183487 View attachment 183488
1" rings won't fit the XBR,......Is that a misprint?
My bad,I just went back and read your FIRST post,LOL. I miss understood...
I thought you meant you lapped your new 1" rings and would use them to change out both scopes!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts