Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm getting into the hobby mostly as a target shooter, as crossbows aren't even legal as hunting weapons in my country :/.

A little bit of back story:
I've been looking at several crossbows, mostly the EK Accelerator 410+ (Bruin Ambush 410 in the US I think), the Excalibur Axe 340 as it's surprisingly affordable in Europe and finally the Kornet RTX 410.

The Bruin was eliminated because while you guys in the US can get it for $280, here in EU the cheapest I've seen it is €430. I just felt way too bad paying so much more for a crossbow worth less than $300. (In Europe most famous US brand have huge markups. A centerpoint 370 here is like €500 for example.) Also, the Ambush is heavy at 8.1 pounds.

The Excalibur Axe was really tempting me at €619, but as a beginner I felt that it was a bit too much money and while I know the power is more than enough especially considering I'm not hunting, it still felt a bit bad paying more for 30% less kinetic energy compared to the less expensive 400fps+ crossbows I was seeing. However if I end up really liking the hobby I might invest in a Suppressor 400, I'd be getting the best of both worlds with Excal's reliability and the kinetic energy to keep an arrow effective and going flat for very long distances.

Aaaanyways. I kinda randomly noticed the seemingly brand new Hori Zone Kornet RTX 410. Checking prices around even in the US similar, older hori-zone crossbows like the SA sports Beast 400 are priced around $450-500 so I'm not being ripped off paying €490 with taxes in Europe. It checked all boxes : crazy fast at 400-410fps, light-ish at 6.7lbs, no major "EU tax" on the price.

I just ordered it but it seems there are very little English reviews as of today. So does anyone have any experience with that bow? It has reverse cams, is that an actual feature (increased powerstroke so increased velocity right?) or more of a gimmick?

If people are interested I could also try answering questions once I get it in around 5 days I think.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I have never heard of that bow. I don't mean to sound ignorant but can't you just order from a US site like South Shore Archery or Wyvern Creations and pay our price plus whatever overseas shipping is?

·
4,966 Posts
I have never heard of that bow. I don't mean to sound ignorant but can't you just order from a US site like South Shore Archery or Wyvern Creations and pay our price plus whatever overseas shipping is?
The same bow (relatively speaking) in the US is the SA Sports Beast 400. The PSE Thrive 400 is nearly the same, but a different stock. I have seen next to nothing on forums about either bow, in terms of performance or durability/issues, but they have been available for over a year.

Reactions: Stalker

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You don't sound ignorant at all if I was in your position i'd ask as the same question! Initially my issue was that most sellers don't sell internationally or if they do the shipping costs are crazy. Add to that the 20% VAT I'll pay at customs and it's suddenly not worth it even at half the crossbow price. But I discovered parcel forwarders which solved half that issue with affordable shipping.

However after reading a bit more about 400+ fps crossbows I've decided to rethink my decision a bit.

It seems that cheap and 400+ fps isn't the best recipe for a reliable crossbow. As if manufacturers are trying too hard to have big numbers, pushing these budget limbs too far. I understand though, as a beginner was instantly drawn to big numbers models for my first purchase before digging a bit, so I'm sure many people will buy these cheap and seemingly super powerful crossbow for the big numbers only. I mean even expensive-ish 400fps+ crossbows seem to have not that rare failures.

I'm especially surprised by the new Excaliburs. Splinters don't seem that rare with micro models above 330lbs, and while I know their customer service is unmatched, I'd rather not have to deal with it in the first place.

As such I'll probably end up with a TS370 or centerpoint 370 imported from the US using a parcel forwarder. Cheap but reliable models giving more than enough power. I'm especially intrigued by the TS370, I've seen people here tweaking it enough that it reaches 120+ KE which is amazing and coupled with the Triggertech, the design and the current prices (329 on ebay, even less if you dig well I'm sure) it's pretty hard to beat. That same TS370 is €650+ in Europe...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sportsman's Guide gives the SA Beast 400 really good ratings.
The same bow (relatively speaking) in the US is the SA Sports Beast 400. The PSE Thrive 400 is nearly the same, but a different stock. I have seen next to nothing on forums about either bow, in terms of performance or durability/issues, but they have been available for over a year.
Yes I just noticed this is the US model, it does seem to be a good crossbow and I'd trust it to handle well and be accurate as the reviews suggest but the reliability in the long run is where I'm a bit skeptical now after reading all these Poe Lang/Hori-Zone/Killer Instinct limb horror stories on 400+ models.

i was interested in sa sports but can't find any actuall reviews but have heard they only have a one year warranty...but as for wieght heavier is better for targets don't you think?
You mean that heavier crossbow will have less recoil and as such will be a more stable target shooting weapon? I think so yes, but while I can't hunt where I live with a crossbow I still value the idea that a hunting weapon needs to be as light as possible. Might be a carry over from my sword collecting hobby where even if I know I won't use a sword, I want it to be as nimble in the hand as possible for that sword type. Just as a "that's the way it should be" kind of thing.

·
4,966 Posts
However after reading a bit more about 400+ fps crossbows I've decided to rethink my decision a bit.

It seems that cheap and 400+ fps isn't the best recipe for a reliable crossbow. As if manufacturers are trying too hard to have big numbers, pushing these budget limbs too far. I understand though, as a beginner was instantly drawn to big numbers models for my first purchase before digging a bit, so I'm sure many people will buy these cheap and seemingly super powerful crossbow for the big numbers only. I mean even expensive-ish 400fps+ crossbows seem to have not that rare failures.
This is very wise, IMO. Unless you want to shoot targets at long ranges, the speed will not really help accuracy all that much, if at all. The faster bows (especially inexpensive ones) tend to be more of a challenge in tems of maintenance, not to mention the target quality needed to adequately stop arrows.

Reactions: Galahad

·
Registered
755 Posts
You don't sound ignorant at all if I was in your position i'd ask as the same question! Initially my issue was that most sellers don't sell internationally or if they do the shipping costs are crazy. Add to that the 20% VAT I'll pay at customs and it's suddenly not worth it even at half the crossbow price. But I discovered parcel forwarders which solved half that issue with affordable shipping.

I'm especially surprised by the new Excaliburs. Splinters don't seem that rare with micro models above 330lbs, and while I know their customer service is unmatched, I'd rather not have to deal with it in the first place.

As such I'll probably end up with a TS370 or centerpoint 370 imported from the US using a parcel forwarder. Cheap but reliable models giving more than enough power. I'm especially intrigued by the TS370, I've seen people here tweaking it enough that it reaches 120+ KE which is amazing and coupled with the Triggertech, the design and the current prices (329 on ebay, even less if you dig well I'm sure) it's pretty hard to beat. That same TS370 is €650+ in Europe...
TomOntheRun I believe has a TS370 and loves it. I haven't been on here very long and he was one of the first people to reach out and answer some of my questions via PM. He seems like a great guy and I am sure he wouldn't mind telling you about the 370.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm getting into the hobby mostly as a target shooter, as crossbows aren't even legal as hunting weapons in my country :/.

A little bit of back story:
I've been looking at several crossbows, mostly the EK Accelerator 410+ (Bruin Ambush 410 in the US I think), the Excalibur Axe 340 as it's surprisingly affordable in Europe and finally the Kornet RTX 410.

The Bruin was eliminated because while you guys in the US can get it for $280, here in EU the cheapest I've seen it is €430. I just felt way too bad paying so much more for a crossbow worth less than $300. (In Europe most famous US brand have huge markups. A centerpoint 370 here is like €500 for example.) Also, the Ambush is heavy at 8.1 pounds.

The Excalibur Axe was really tempting me at €619, but as a beginner I felt that it was a bit too much money and while I know the power is more than enough especially considering I'm not hunting, it still felt a bit bad paying more for 30% less kinetic energy compared to the less expensive 400fps+ crossbows I was seeing. However if I end up really liking the hobby I might invest in a Suppressor 400, I'd be getting the best of both worlds with Excal's reliability and the kinetic energy to keep an arrow effective and going flat for very long distances.

Aaaanyways. I kinda randomly noticed the seemingly brand new Hori Zone Kornet RTX 410. Checking prices around even in the US similar, older hori-zone crossbows like the SA sports Beast 400 are priced around $450-500 so I'm not being ripped off paying €490 with taxes in Europe. It checked all boxes : crazy fast at 400-410fps, light-ish at 6.7lbs, no major "EU tax" on the price.

I just ordered it but it seems there are very little English reviews as of today. So does anyone have any experience with that bow? It has reverse cams, is that an actual feature (increased powerstroke so increased velocity right?) or more of a gimmick?

If people are interested I could also try answering questions once I get it in around 5 days I think.
Hi,
I don't know exactly from what european Country you are (I'm from Italy), but, if you want a Man Kung XB 52 (aka Center Point Sniper 370), that is a rally good and reliable crossbow for the money, for around 260 €, you can try here:

https://www.target-softair.com/cat0...mankung-xb-52-camo-185lbs-370fps-full-kit.php

They are located in the S. Marino Republic, in Italy, but I think they can ship in every european Country.
I've purchased my XB 52 from them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.