Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
51 Posts
I am curious too

I saw the new reCon at the ATA show
The handling is superb as most of the mass is concentrated near the trigger
(riser is right behind the pistol grip) also the stock is adjustable.

I am curious to see how it performs though as the reCon is using farily light and short arrows.

Design wise ... it lost something from its ancestor (the LeoPro) but i assume design is a personal thing. However I like very much the front grip with 3 weaver rails.

my 2 cents
Mirko

·
11,435 Posts
I saw it at the ATA and

Harrisbug PA show. I have mixed emotions about it (military tones):eek: The anti's will be saying "see, they are just like AR-15's that shoot arrows" :ack2:

Other than that, the prototype they were showing was built and finished better than anything I've ever seen from Horton. I would say the build quality is exceptional. I definitely don't like the 17" arrow and resultant light weight weight/low KE. I've always lost some accuracy with these shorty arrows compared to 20 and 22 inchers. I guess there's nothing to keep one from shooting a 20 inch arrow in it. Bottom line for me will be after I shoot it a little. Hope to do that once they become available.

·
1,500 Posts
I would appear that if they lengthened the limbs, they could get a longer power stroke. The bow would not be any wider either.

·
310 Posts
Moonkryket said:
Harrisbug PA show. I have mixed emotions about it (military tones):) The anti's will be saying "see, they are just like AR-15's that shoot arrows" :confused:

Other than that, the prototype they were showing was built and finished better than anything I've ever seen from Horton. I would say the build quality is exceptional. I definitely don't like the 17" arrow and resultant light weight weight/low KE. I've always lost some accuracy with these shorty arrows compared to 20 and 22 inchers. I guess there's nothing to keep one from shooting a 20 inch arrow in it. Bottom line for me will be after I shoot it a little. Hope to do that once they become available.
Moonkryket,
The 17" arrow weighs 320 grn. It's advertised speed is 325 fps. This is 75 ft #'s of KE.
You are correct about using the 20" or 22" arrows. This will increase the KE as the weight goes up, and the speed comes down.

·
310 Posts
Mike said:
Looks like it'll be another few weeks according to their E-mail!

Mike
Mike,
What e-mail?

·
1,223 Posts
I sent them a guestion by e-mail about the expected store delivery date.
They answered me with an e-mail. Said early May. Last time I asked, it was early April.
Aren't computers wonderfull...electronic-mail...or...mail by electron travel.

Mike

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
I saw it and was very surprised at the new design. It looks WICKED! What I am waiting to experience, is the lower noise factor, due to the new design. I wanna shoot it! If it's more silent, SOLD! Can you imagine the difference in width as well walking through the woods? Awesome. No more, or rather, not as many times hanging up on on vegetation. Plus, no camera slaps from the wide limbs while self filming.(Big problem with the Barnett Quad 400) Maybe the bow and the camera can share the same window in a pop up blind.
If it's more silent, you know how many hogs I can take out at one time then while doing "hog removal" for ranches around here? Watch out for me Piggys! Mama has a new surprise for you.

·
104 Posts
Guide Girl said:
I saw it and was very surprised at the new design. It looks WICKED! What I am waiting to experience, is the lower noise factor, due to the new design. I wanna shoot it! If it's more silent, SOLD! Can you imagine the difference in width as well walking through the woods? Awesome. No more, or rather, not as many times hanging up on on vegetation. Plus, no camera slaps from the wide limbs while self filming.(Big problem with the Barnett Quad 400) Maybe the bow and the camera can share the same window in a pop up blind.
If it's more silent, you know how many hogs I can take out at one time then while doing "hog removal" for ranches around here? Watch out for me Piggys! Mama has a new surprise for you.
you are right Guide Girl, for me width and weight are ones of the most important factor for buy a crossbow. Walk with a crossbow in the mountains of Peru (11000 -16500 feet above the level sea) or in the rain forest is a big problem.
I am also waiting to shoot it

·
310 Posts
Urban Legend said:
The only question I have is, what happens when a string breaks? Because of the reverse direction of the limbs, is the sting going to come back and hit you in the face? Not bashing the bow or design, just wondering what will happen.
UL,
There will be a portable press available to completely string the bow.
There is a press cable that you can install on the bottom of the cable arms to hold the bow in a restricted state to allow changing of the cables and strings.
I have used some other creative ways of "pressing" the bow, but the portable press is the true way. It will be simular in design as a Bowmaster Press.
To answer the concern of parts flying off, this does not happen. The steel limb tips are "pinned" in place. The only way things would fly off the bow
would be if the axles broke. That is highly unlikely.
As far as string and cables flying off, there is no way to predict anything there. Same as with any other xbow design.

Thanks,
Hoss

·
310 Posts
Urban Legend said:
Thanks for the update, Hoss. Again, I love the Horton line of bows and wasn't trying to stir things up. I just didn't know. With new technology comes questions. Thats all I was doing, asking questions.
Thanks, Jeff

UL,
I did not take anything in a negative way, and tried to reply in posative way myself. If I come off poorly I am sorry. I think Crossbow Nation is awesome, and allows true opinions to be displayed, as well as a way for questions to be answered.
Please keep the questions coming. I will be glad to answer what I can.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Administrator
6,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Going to test shoot the Recon!!!!!

I have been invited to the Horton Factory next week to shoot the new Recon bow. I am pretty excited to have this opportunity. I will posts my views of this radical new bow after shooting it. Is there anything in specific you guys want me to look for in this bow? Let me know. I think I'm going Tuesday afternoon. I will also post more pics of the bow too.
Thanks, Jeff

·
1,223 Posts
Jeff...

Yes....overall trigger feel and nose weight compared to a conventional, front mount crossbow.

AND...when are they gonna be in shops..?

Have fun.

Mike

1 - 20 of 23 Posts