Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious how all of y'all first got into shooting crossbows.

For me, it was my older brother. I remember he had one and I would watch from my bedroom window as he shot targets in the backyard. It was the coolest thing I'd ever seen and I knew I had to have one haha.

·
2,881 Posts
I got a crossbow for my youngest son to hunt with for a couple of years. He moved on to a compound, and when my damaged and arthritic shoulder no longer could take the practice needed to be good enough with the compound, the crossbow was hanging in the basement, waiting for me.

·
Registered
544 Posts
About 12-15 years ago a dear family friend gave me an old Horton Hunter crossbow that had belonged to his elderly father. At the time I had been out of bowhunting for a number of years but I decided to give hunting with the old crossbow a try. I killed a few deer with it over a 2 or 3 year period and then just quit archery again until the very end of the 2019-20 season when I bought a CP Patriot 415 on closeout at a big box store. I killed a deer with it a couple of weeks later and now I'm "eat up with it", as my mother was fond of saying.
I'll have to say that I've learned so much from the members on this site. A big thank you goes out to all that have shared their knowledge.(y)

·
220 Posts
28 years ago I saw a 2nd hand Crissbow mk3 with steel limbs hanging on a pawnshop wall. I was 12 years old and it fascinated me. 6 weeks later and plenty of lawn mowing and washing cars for family and friends I manage to get the R250 about $10 now, together. That was my introduction to archery gear. It was a SA made crossbow with a brass barrel and hardwood stock, very heavy but accurate. I had to make my own arrows, cutdown aluminum compound bow arrows for it.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm 50 and started hunting about 6 years ago. I was never raised with hunters or in a hunting family. So, when I started hunting and I saw we only have a 2 week gun season in PA, I told myself I'd never learn how to hunt only doing it 2 weeks a year. So, I knew I wanted to do archery. A crossbow looked familiar to me and so that's what I started with. I didn't know there was any controversy regarding crossbows and hunting. I've never even shot a compound!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Blew out my shoulder and couldn’t pull my longbow any more. My son bought me a cp 370 sniper for Christmas and I just keep buying different ones to see the difference in them. Still have the cp and a Horton storm and now a Excalibur 340 mag. Hunt with them all and can now draw my longbow again. Lots of choices when I go. Lol

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I shot verticals ever since Fred Bear came out with the "whitetail"....shoulders went and had to change to stay in the game... I haveta tell ya though....I enjoy shooting crossbows more than I did my vertcals;)

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Started with recurve bows around 1972 but did not shoot a crossbow until 1999 - 2000.
Really enjoyed it then.
Have the time now so getting into it full bore.

Reactions: samt and Ironminer

·
1,313 Posts
Here in Ontario I started deer hunting with a rifle and we only were allowed one deer per season. Then they offered one additional archery only seals. I went and bought an Excalibur excocett 200 and have hunted with s crossbow every year since. Now I can bow hunt 3 months per season and muzzleload hunt for one week. I would much rather just bow hunt and forget the gun hunt... lol

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
After I had my total rebuild of my right rotator cuff surgery done my Doctor told me that if insisted on keeping shooting my vertical bows that I would be back on his table within a year. So I finally listened and bought my first crossbow. Been shooting them ever since.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Started with recurve bows around 1972 but did not shoot a crossbow until 1999 - 2000.
Really enjoyed it then.
Really enjoyed it then.

·
Registered
934 Posts
A pinched nerve in my neck during the height of the rut in 2010 started my path towards the crossbow. By the spring of 2012, bought my first crossbow, a SZ380 which I later converted to a SZ350. Since then, two cervical ACDFs, two crossbows later, and a whole lot of missed hunting seasons, I'm pretty much a crankin' crossbow kinda guy. Can't asked my hunting buddy to cock my crossbows for me all the time!

Though this has been my journey, and still continues today, I am glad I made the switch.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
It's pretty comical how I first became interested in crossbow shooting and it's actually a pretty long story but, I'll try to keep it short.
I was living in a heavily drug infested neighbrohood and working for the landlord that owned the apartment building I was living in. All the other tenants, that were on drugs or dealing drugs thought I was the police or an informant for them since I didn't take drugs or buy them from them. I would get death threats almost on a daily basis that I would just laugh off. Until they started standing outside my window every night until way past midnight while I was trying to sleep for work the next morning. Once in awhile they would start knocking on my door at 3:00 AM and make death threats. I mean, these people were lunatics ! Complete lunatics in the encyclopedic style..... most had several other mental health issues other than addiction and were very confused. But, I knew I needed some form of defense and I always had an interest in compound crossbows ever since I was a kid so, I got one. I always wanted to hunt because I love sitting in the woods or going on hikes.. it just took other motivating factors to get me involved, I guess...

·
Registered
512 Posts
I've been bow hunting sense I was 13. I lost all my small game hunting spots so I put everything into archery, shooting vertical bows until I was 55. Five operations in 4 years and my back and shoulder won't allow me to use a vertical bow any longer. Started with a TAC10. Now a Viper S400. I think this bow will be with me until I'm done. I enjoyed shooting the vertical bow a lot more but, enjoy hunting with the xbow. Hard to get out anymore. I'm hanging in there. Just need someone to drag em' out! My grandson's getting there. He's 15 and has four xbow kills. The biggest is a 6 pntr. and HIS CHOICE is to not shoot anything smaller now. Life goes on. GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
LoL.... hey Wapster, it wasn't easy.. there were alot of hurdles and tests. I was tested to the max almost on a daily basis for a good year and a half. I think I passed the test....lol....

·
Registered
52 Posts
First xbow arrived yesterday; putting the recurve up for sale. 30 years working for uncle sam, couple of major car wrecks, and an IED sort of put the kibosh on vertical bows. My buddy has been hunting with an xbow for 15 years, and he talked me into giving it a try. We went scouting an area on Monday, I hope to sight in this weekend, and then its a month until opening day.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Won my first Crossbow in a poker hand. It was a Barnett Commando.Shot the heck out of that bow,but at the time it was not very efficient, due to the shortened string travel, and heavy arrows. I was better with my Herters recurve,so we parted ways. Loved the auto cocking mechanism.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts